PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Surf City Reviews

Pages : [1] 2

PerroneFord
04-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Last year I decided to try the Road Trip Grime Destroyer product by Surf City. Like many of you, I`d become pretty jaded by a number of products but it got some good reviews so I gave it a go. Long story short, it`s magic in a bottle. Really. If it`s not in your arsenal, you are REALLY missing something great.

Based on that experience, I decided to add a few more products to my arsenal for this year, and decided to dip into the Surf City well once again.

This time I added their Beyond Steel Wheel Cleaner, and the Clearly Better Glass Cleaner. As per usual, I tried these out on my daily driver before using them on any customer cars.

It`s pollen season here in North Florida, so my DD is seeing pretty regular rinseless washings. And I had done a full 2BM wash a few weeks back. But I intentionally left the wheels with the stubborn stuff on them anticipating this purchase.

Beyond Steel Wheel Cleaner -

Reason: I bought this cleaner to be my new goto product for dealing with tough dirt on sensitive wheels. I have other cleaners I can use on non-sensitive wheels, and I have gentle cleaners for sensitive wheels, but I wanted something safe but powerful.

Smell: Like the Grime Destroyer, it has an odor, but it`s not overpowering, and not too bad. About as strong as APC+ at 10:1.

Usage: I decided to use the product uncut since that is how I use competing products. The product is not "thick" like a gel, it`s really quite like an APC. Immediately upon spraying, I could see the brake dust starting to run. The gunk that was still in the lugnut holes started to run down the face of the wheel.

Result: I was quite pleased with the results of this product. Its a very effective cleaner, about the effectiveness of a good APC at 5:1 or 8:1, but without the harshness. It should save me a TON of time doing more sensitive wheels. I used mild agitation on my wheels (daily driver with over 100k) and my wheels came as clean as they do with my usual Eagle 1 A2Z wheel cleaner.

Would I recommend it?: Absolutely. It`s effective, and like the rest of my SCG products, it does exactly what it says on the label. A bit more pricey than some of it`s competitors to be fair, but it works as advertised.

Clearly Better Glass Cleaner -

Reason: Normally, I use Stoners Invisible Glass. And I am very pleased with that product. In fact, I`ll continue to use the spray can inside the car because it clings better than other products I`ve tried.

Smell: There is no ammonia in this product, and the smell is quite pleasant. Certainly no issue working with it in an enclosed car.

Usage: I used this on external glass surfaces, and on the inside windshield. The product is much like any basic glass cleaner. It`s tinted blue. One thing I did notice is that the product "glides". Many glass cleaners seem to either have abrasives or chemicals in them that make a MF Towel grabby for lack of a better word. This glass cleaner did not do that. As advertised, there was zero streaking.

Result: fabulous. It`s as good as Invisible Glass. Some people have streaking issues with IG, but I generally do not. In any event, this product didn`t streak either and was very easy and pleasant to use. One caveat. My windshield is heavily sloped. And working inside is a bit tricky. I prefer the aerosol from IG for that work as it gives me plenty of working time before the product runs down to the bottom. Based on cost, the Surf City may be more pricey than Stoners.

Would I recommend it?: If Stoners isn`t working well for you, I absolutely recommend the Surf City. If you are happy with Stoners keep using it. I didn`t NEED a new glass cleaner, but I wanted to get my Surf City order over $50 for the free shipping, and this was a nice way to do it. I`d happily order it again, though in the more economical size.

Thanks for reading.

termigator
04-07-2010, 09:59 PM
I should try more of their products, especially since I can pick them up the nearest Advance Auto. I have yet to hear anything bad about their stuff. I think about the only reason I haven`t gotten more of their products (So far, I have their Shine On sealer & glaze system and Barrier Reef Carnauba Wax) is because they seem a little pricey compared to all the other stuff Advance carries.

jeteast99
04-07-2010, 10:51 PM
I love their glass cleaner. Better than invisible glass IMO

purplenurple
04-07-2010, 11:33 PM
I agree with your reviews. My only issue with the wheel cleaner is that it is quite expensive and I go through it quickly. I feel that something like the CG sticky wheel gel is more cost effective, but not necessarily a better product.

Also try the Beyond black tire dressing. Its my favorite along with wolfgang gel. The barrier reef wax is also nice for the price, as is the interior detailer. Oh, and I love their aluminum polish.

vtec92civic
04-08-2010, 12:08 AM
did you get pics of the wheel cleaner in action?

WaxManRonnie
04-08-2010, 06:46 AM
Diamond Edge & their Hot Rod Detailer are great products too. :)

kkreit01
04-08-2010, 08:23 AM
My local Napa carries their stuff, and can get most of it within a day. I tried Dash Away, and really like it. It smells better, cleans much better, and leaves less shine than 303. I contacted their support concerning "protection". It does protect against UVA and UVB, and no additional protectant is needed.

I hope to try more Surf City products as needed.

ALAN81
04-08-2010, 08:47 AM
All there products are excellent Last year Tim send me all there products and I did not have any problems with any.The wheel cleaner( Beyond Steel) is $12.50 @Advance Auto Ouch

steelwind101
04-08-2010, 09:32 AM
Great glass cleaner and checkout there QD too, it really leaves some sealant behind and looks as good, if not better then FK`s QD!

tom p.
04-08-2010, 09:40 AM
I think their glass cleaner has become their trademark product! Very nice, streak-free. I`ve also had the opportunity to use the wheel cleaner and finished the bottle not too long ago. I like it and it`s great to have an excellent product like it available OTC.

I`m glad to see Surf City is expanding out...they`re a very nice group of people to deal with :)

Ohh, don`t forget the Road Trip Grime Destroyer (or whatever it`s called)...that`s a personal favorite that I find myself reaching for almost every week.

rcalcaide
04-08-2010, 10:19 AM
I love Surf city Garage!

I use the following:

Pacific Blue wash and wax: Nice suds and smell. Leaves a nice gloss to the paint.

Beyond Steel wheel cleaner: Quickly cleans rims and tires!

Speeddemon detailer: Nice gloss, no streaking.

Beyond Black tire Pro: The best tire dressing out there! no gloss but has a great clean shine to it.

And here is the kicker! Found a online store that was clearing out inventory at 50% off!. I bought numerous 2 liter versions of all of this stuff!:bigups

PerroneFord
04-08-2010, 10:38 AM
did you get pics of the wheel cleaner in action?

No photos this time. I`ll do some at a later date. It was after work, and I was battling pollen before the sun went down!

PerroneFord
04-08-2010, 10:52 AM
All there products are excellent Last year Tim send me all there products and I did not have any problems with any.The wheel cleaner( Beyond Steel) is $12.50 @Advance Auto Ouch

P21 in the ready to use size is about $1 per ounce. The Surf City at Advance Auto is about $0.55 an ounce. In the 2 liter size the Surf City is $0.37 per ounce ($25 for 2 liters). That`s a pretty fair price for a powerful, all-wheel-safe cleaner in my book. The P21 is $40 for that same size.

tom p.
04-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Not to introduce too much topic drift, but the gallon of Griot`s wheel cleaner I purchased two weeks ago works out to $0.234/oz. (price delivered to my home) and is directly comparable to the SC wheel cleaner, if not slightly superior. I`m really a big fan of the Griot`s product, not just for the value, but the overall performance and bright finish it leaves. It`s worth trying (for all those dedicated wheel cleaner users) :)

PerroneFord
04-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Not to introduce too much topic drift, but the gallon of Griot`s wheel cleaner I purchased two weeks ago works out to $0.234/oz. (price delivered to my home) and is directly comparable to the SC wheel cleaner, if not slightly superior. I`m really a big fan of the Griot`s product, not just for the value, but the overall performance and bright finish it leaves. It`s worth trying (for all those dedicated wheel cleaner users) :)

I own both the Griots and the SC, and don`t feel they are comparable at all. The SC breaks down grime MUCH better for me. And I am on my second bottle of the Griots. I bought the SC expressly because I wanted something more effective.