PDA

View Full Version : OTC products for new PC user

Pages : [1] 2

GeeReg
04-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Hi, all. I`ve just ordered a 7424 to help remove swirls/light scratches and oxidation from a few cars. I tried reading through a lot of DA technique posts and guides but was looking for something more specific to my situation.

I have and will be doing the following:

7424 with orange and white LC pads

~half bottle of watery Ultimate Compound

~half bottle of ColorX

1 tube of the old ScratchX

2008 Black VW Jetta - medium swirls/some light scratches/bird bomb etching

2010 Black Mitsubishi Lancer - light swirls

1998 White Acura Integra - light swirls and some decent oxidation/dirty paint (tried UC and ColorX by hand and seemed to take care of most of the oxidation/dirt but not swirls)

My confusion comes from reading some cases where people will only use M105/UC and be LSP ready, and others saying they need to polish even after M205. I realize the black cars will be less forgiving, so will I be OK with just the Ultimate Compound? The Jetta and Lancer are daily drivers that sit outside, the Integra is not driven much and is garaged. I am NOT looking for perfection but would like to do the best I can (being the first time using a DA).

How is the paint hardness on all of these? I was thinking of getting a tube of ScratchX 2.0 and starting out with that and hoping to be happy with that as LSP ready. Being new to polishing, I don`t know what to expect and what is as good as it will get. I should have ordered some products at the same time as the PC but didn`t really know what I would need, so now I am sticking to OTC.

Thanks in advance.

Dan
04-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Forget the Scratchx, call meguiars and have them send you a new bottle of UC that isn`t watery and go buy a bottle of Swirlx. Then tape off a 1x1` area and test out your products and go from there.

GeeReg
04-07-2010, 10:33 AM
I would, but it started out normal if I remember and I`ve used about half of it, so I didn`t think it was right to call them and have them replace it.

I forgot about SwirlX also. Is it the least aggressive polish Meg`s makes OTC?

Dan
04-07-2010, 11:15 AM
UC/SwirlX is as close as you can get OTC to the 105/205 combo. And yeah, its the least agressive in OTC line.

akimel
04-07-2010, 12:50 PM
I`d get yourself a fresh bottle of Ultimate Compound and a bottle of SwirlX. Whether you will need to follow-up UC with SwirlX to remove micro-marring all depends on your specific car. There`s no way to predict ahead of time. As you note, many find that UC leaves the finish LSP-ready, some do not.

I observe that for a wax you only have ColorX. ColorX is an excellent OTC cleaner wax but its cleansing ability will be unnecessary after you have polished the car with UC and SwirlX. So consider purchasing a good sealant or wax. For OTC protectants, consider:

Mother`s Reflections (hard to find but can be ordered from Amazon.com for a very reasonable price, with free shipping if your order is +$25)

Duragloss 105 (also hard to find)

Megs` NXT

Megs` Gold Class Carnauba Plus

GeeReg
04-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Sorry, I was only mentioning products for the correction. I have a tub of NXT2.0 and a bottle of Collinite 845.

I have heard that the UC will still work when watery so I will probably try the SwirlX first and if it doesn`t cut it, try the UC I have. If that works I will probably pick up a new bottle.

Accumulator
04-08-2010, 09:57 AM
GeeReg- Welcome to Autopia!

Hope you`re planning to use 4" pads on the VW..hard clear on those. The Acura, OTOH, oughta be considerably softer, interesting that the UC didn`t fix its marring.

GeeReg
04-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Thanks!

Unfortunately I only ordered 6.5" pads, orange and white. I didn`t know what I needed and didn`t want to order $100 worth of pads that I wouldn`t use. It seemed like people used those so that`s what I went with.

The UC may very well have taken out most of the swirling on the Acura if I put enough effort into it, but I was just trying to improve it since it was by hand and already taking a lot of time and energy.

On the other hand, the VW is my wife`s car and she is just slightly less (read: not at all) worried about the finish than I am on my cars so I may do the best I can with what I have and see where I end up.

Accumulator
04-08-2010, 11:02 AM
GeeReg- OK, roger that. If your results are disapointing I`d blame the large pads. IME the PC simply can`t overcome the friction and won`t let you apply pressure (it merely "jiggles" when you try that). I sure wish vendors would quit selling those big pads with PCs.....

Dan
04-08-2010, 12:23 PM
On the other hand, the VW is my wife`s car and she is just slightly less (read: not at all) worried about the finish than I am on my cars so I may do the best I can with what I have and see where I end up.

I know i mentioned it before, but I can`t stress it enough, start with a taped off 1x1 area and see how that goes. Sounds like you "just want to get it done" and that often ends in disappointment and posts about how the PC just does not work.

GeeReg
04-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Yes, I will definitely start with one area and make sure of the results before doing the whole car.

GeeReg
04-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Well, I picked up a new bottle of UC and went to town on the VW. After trying the SwirlX on a white pad and then on the orange, I went right to the UC on the orange pad. Man this is rough. Had to make 3-4 passes (1 pass being 3-4 sweeps, wiping clean and observing) to get anywhere and there are still some swirls not coming out. There is a definite improvement though. It also seemed like there was hazing or holograms left over but I couldn`t tell whether they were there already, just more apparent with the swirling almost gone. It didn`t go away with some SwirlX follow-up.

I gave up after doing the hood and trunk lid. I hope the Mitsubishi isn`t this hard. Any one have some information on them? I`m guessing the next step is smaller pads like you suggested Accu.

Accumulator
04-11-2010, 09:44 AM
GeeReg- Sorry to hear it was kinda frustrating, but well...I`m not all that surprised either.

Yeah, get the smaller pads. That really will make a big diff. Vendors who sell 6.5" pads with PCs sorta tick me off :hmph:

Note that the 3-4 tries really isn`t very many when doing the initial correction on VW/Audi clear. Heh heh, sorry to say, it`s often not even getting started! Just the nature of the beast; you`re using a fairly mild (hence safe) approach to do something that`s really *best* done with a very aggressive (hence risky, so don`t go there ;) ) approach instead.

To avoid driving yourself nuts, consider doing a panel or two at a time after each of a series of regular washes. Doing the car incrementally like that can make it seem less overwhelming.

The "holograms"/hazing are quite possibly from the Ultimate Compound. It`s a little funny in that it doesn`t really break down...so you have to be careful that it doesn`t dry/clump on the pads and also be careful when buffing off its residue. You also might want to do UC/orange, then UC/white, and only *then* move on to a milder product.

Work small areas and do a few more of those "section passes"; work the UC until it`s almost, but not quite, dry. I`ve only used the similar M105 (not actually UC) but with that product it takes about five-seven sorta slow times across the *(small) area of operation at speed 6.

Using a little spritz of Meguiar`s #34 Final Inspection when buffing off the residue will help minimize any micromarring too, and use very good, clean, plush MFs.

(Check the yellowpages and see if an autobody/paint supply store in your area has the #34.).

GeeReg
04-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the tips Accumulator. If the VW is going to be that much work I might just let it be.

I`m afraid I`m even more frustrated than yesterday. I tried the Mitsubishi today and it was looking promising. The larger swirls were coming out with UC on the orange pad after not too much work. But no matter what combination I use, I can`t leave a micro-swirl, haze, hologram, whatever you want to call it-free, finish. I don`t know if I`m using too much pressure, not enough pressure, too much product, not enough, etc... I`ve read an awful lot about using a DA and thought I was following all the advice.

I think I will get a new backing plate and the 4" pads and see what I can do.

Accumulator
04-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the tips Accumulator. If the VW is going to be that much work I might just let it be...

At least until you get those 4" pads and get your technique sorted out ;)

I`m afraid I`m even more frustrated than yesterday. I tried the Mitsubishi today and it was looking promising. The larger swirls were coming out with UC on the orange pad after not too much work. But no matter what combination I use, I can`t leave a micro-swirl, haze, hologram, whatever you want to call it-free, finish.

Again, get the smaller pads. Then...

I wouldn`t expect the UC to leave all that nice a finish, no matter what others here say (no, that`s not some :argue ). I`d rely on the next step to get that hazing/etc. out and if that next step has to be sorta aggressive, then so be it.

I think I will get a new backing plate and the 4" pads and see what I can do.

There you go :xyxthumbs I`m confident you`ll get this sorted out once you start working with the smaller pads. And hey, if you`re just somebody for whom the Meguiar`s stuff isn`t the right approach, there are all sorts of other options.