PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Mercedes s430 paint problems

trippmann
04-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Hey guys, i was contacted eartler in the week about detailing a 2002 Mercedes S430 in midnight blue, its a blue metallic with hints of purple it seems, that he wants to sell so he wanted me to clean up the inside really well, and just "make the paint shine" all for 200 dollars. so after a little deliberation and a price reduction we agreed on a full interior and a simple one step polish to take the light to medium swirls out. anyway, ive gone through the interior and cleaned that up perfectly, but im having this really aggravating problem with the paint. i started working on it with my old bottle of menzerna SIP on a white pad via rotary. within 15 secconds my pads were gummed out and spitting little balls of polish all over the hood, along with an insane amount of buffer hop which nearly overheated my makita. ok, so then i went to my portercable with the white pad and SIP, its better but it actually left MORE holograms than it did with the rotary! :faint: so at this point i`m sitting here scratching my head about what the problem is, i`ve switched down to menzerna super finish on white via rotary and i got the same symptoms as when i used SIP, now i`m using super finish with a white pad via PC and i`ve cleared up the stickiness and holograms but i don`t think im getting enough cut anymore. i just placed an order with detailed image for a 32oz bottle of m205 which should be here tomorrow. ive got the car till the end of the week when the owner comes back from vacation. any ideas? :think2

trippmann
04-06-2010, 12:16 PM
UPDATE: OK, so using the PC on speed 6 with super-finish on white seems to work really well at removing the light to medium surface blemishes but after the polish is worked its a real pain to remove! it seems to dry up fast so i usually add a sprits of onr qd (6:1 water to onr) to lengthen the work time, but it`s still very tough to remove. on any other car i have done menzerna always stays somewhat moist when on the paint and usually leave me with "holograms" from product oils being on the paint still. im really not liking Mercedes anymore haha, its almost as annoying as my jet-black bmw lol