PDA

View Full Version : Best Buffing Pads To Use After Wet Sanding?

Pages : [1] 2 3

gdumond
04-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Any suggestions on which pads are best when removing wet sanding scratches?

I spoke with the techs at Meguiars. They are recommending starting of with Meg 105 and a WOOL pad and then following up with Meg 205 and a FOAM pad using a Rotary Buffer. Are they on track with this approach?

Wet Sanding was done on 2 stage paint finishing up with 2000 grit paper.

Any recommendations on the best brand of pads out there both in Wool and Foam. I have both a Rotary and a PC in my arsenal. Also would appreciate any tips or suggestions during the removal proccess.

Thanks guys

Accumulator
04-06-2010, 09:29 AM
gdumond- Well, the rotary will be faster and wool/M105 is a "standard response" for jobs like this. That`s what I did for the most part the last time I wetsanded, but I also did some spots with the PC/3.5" PFW (which got the job done but was SLOOOOOOW).

People have also done OK with SurBuf pads.

Only real advice I can offer is to stick with the aggressive pad/product combo until you`re sure you have all the sanding marks out; don`t switch to M205 too soon (just let it take care of micromarring from the M105).

imported_DJ Mayo
04-06-2010, 10:24 AM
If you want sanding marks removed, use something like Menzerna Power Gloss. It`s cuts more than 105 and dust less while still finishing down decent. 105 is still good, but when I need something removed like sanding marks, I`m using Power Gloss every time.

Envious Eric
04-06-2010, 01:08 PM
105 on a lake country purple foam wool pad SHOULD work, or maybe a megs yellow wool pad if the PFW doesnt work fast enough (it has more cut).

RaskyR1
04-06-2010, 01:33 PM
I agree with the techs

I will use either the the Meguiars W5000 pad or the Meguiars Maroon Solo Wool pad on the rotary for removing sanding marks....especially 2000 grit.

The W5000 is a little large but it`s a 2 sided pad that threads on vs. using Velcro and there is zero vibration from them like you can get from Velcro pads.

gdumond
04-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I do use and prefer the double sided pad. I have been using Buff and Shine`s pads. They have the white wool pad which is more aggressive than their yellow wool pad. I thought I would start off with the lesser aggresive yellow first.

Are the Surbuf pads wool or foam? Thanks for the tip on the Menzerna Power Gloss as an option to Megs 105.

Is it also recommended to follow up with a swirl remover after buffing with the MEG 205?

Thanks for the feedback!

RaskyR1
04-07-2010, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I do use and prefer the double sided pad. I have been using Buff and Shine`s pads. They have the white wool pad which is more aggressive than their yellow wool pad. I thought I would start off with the lesser aggresive yellow first.

Are the Surbuf pads wool or foam? Thanks for the tip on the Menzerna Power Gloss as an option to Megs 105.

Is it also recommended to follow up with a swirl remover after buffing with the MEG 205?

Thanks for the feedback!

Some paints can benefit from a lesser polish (3M Ultrafina) but in my experience M205 finishes down very well on most newer paints as long as your last step is done with M205 on a finishing pad.

Removing wet sanding marks should always be at least a 3-4 step buffing process IMO.

An example would be something like this but a test spot should always be done to confirm your process will work well.

M105 wool

M205 foam polishing

M205 foam finishing

I used some smaller sized Buff n` Shine wool pads on this Impala for some tighter areas. The larger areas were done with the W5000 pad and Solo wool. ;)

1964 Impala wet sand n` buff (http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-details-before-after/128340-rasky-s-auto-detailing-1964-impala-full-wet-sand-buff-interior-fluff.html)

imported_JoshVette
04-07-2010, 07:46 AM
To remove all the sanding marks I would start with Wool and Menz Power Gloss.

105 is good, but does a little filling and IME does not cut as well as Power Gloss and you want to remove them 100% not 90%.

Then I would follow up with a foamed wool pad and 105 followed by white foam pad and SIP then a black pad and a final polish.

Figure at least 4 steps with multi passes per step.

That`s just what I would do.

Josh

imported_WCD
04-07-2010, 07:48 AM
I recently sanded and finished with 3000 wet and started with 1500 and 2000 dry on orbital.

polished with 105 and then 205. Used wool with 105 and then white foam with 205 all on high speed, but not super high speed if you know what I mean. I think I was one click passed 2.

Product pad combo is the key for me, not just the pads. I would go with techs` advice.

Good luck, Rob

our auto detailing videos - santa barbara mobile car wash and auto detailing (http://www.autodetailingteacher.com/our-auto-detailing-videos/)

gmblack3
04-07-2010, 08:29 AM
All with a R/O (PC, G110v2, ect)

Surbuf with M105 till sanding scratches are removed.

Orange with M205

Black with M205

See my sig for tips.

To remove all the sanding marks I would start with Wool and Menz Power Gloss.

105 is good, but does a little filling and IME does not cut as well as Power Gloss and you want to remove them 100% not 90%.

Then I would follow up with a foamed wool pad and 105 followed by white foam pad and SIP then a black pad and a final polish.

Figure at least 4 steps with multi passes per step.

That`s just what I would do.

Josh

Josh, How many IPA wipedowns are you doing to figure that M105 is filling? I do 5 straight IPA wipedowns and never get any filling.

RaskyR1
04-07-2010, 08:54 AM
I may have to try the PG out again because when I tried it the first time it didn`t seem to cut any better than M105 on the car I was working with...

FWIW I did end up having to use 3M Extra Cut on that particular car (http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-details-before-after/124140-full-wet-sand-n-buff-05-nbp-acura-rl-rasky-s-auto-detailing.html) to effectively remove the scratches given how hard the clear was.

imported_DJ Mayo
04-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Chad -

Try it again, I used PG the other day with a orange pad and was surprised how much it took out while finishing excellent. Only a finishing polish was needed like 106FA.

Envious Eric
04-07-2010, 09:18 AM
yeah I have used powergloss as well a while back, and it dusted like crazy and tood multiple passes with a PFW...I didnt notice much of a difference

ill have to try it out again

RaskyR1
04-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Chad -

Try it again, I used PG the other day with a orange pad and was surprised how much it took out while finishing excellent. Only a finishing polish was needed like 106FA.

Will do DJ. I`ve only tried it that one time on the Acura...I actually thought about giving it another try last weekend on that Caddy but was to lazy to run into the house and get it! :D

I have a `68 Firebird coming this week for a full wet sand n` buff (as long as the convertible top work gets done in time) and Maybe I`ll try it out on that car. ;)

gmblack3
04-07-2010, 11:55 AM
I may have to try the PG out again because when I tried it the first time it didn`t seem to cut any better than M105 on the car I was working with...

FWIW I did end up having to use 3M Extra Cut on that particular car (http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-details-before-after/124140-full-wet-sand-n-buff-05-nbp-acura-rl-rasky-s-auto-detailing.html) to effectively remove the scratches given how hard the clear was.

Before M105 I really like using 06060 3M ECC much more then PG.