PDA

View Full Version : Autoglym HD and trim

01RedSLK
04-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Was about to use the new Autoglym HD wax but can`t find if it stains the rubber trim or not. Has anyone used it on trim???

Just polished our `93 190E with 3MFI, added a coat of IHG, and wanted to try the AGHD tomorrow but was a little afraid of getting it on the trim (will use my p21s 100% that I know won`t stain unless someone has had good results with the AGHD).

Thanks!

Rickrack
04-06-2010, 05:45 AM
Why not just mask-off your trim?

Tony1
04-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Why not just mask-off your trim?

Why not use a wax that doesn`t stain trim in the fist place so you don`t have to tape off. There is no excuse today to use a trim staining wax or difficult to use wax when there are so many user friendly alternatives.

JaredPointer
04-06-2010, 08:37 AM
I did not notice it staining trim when I used it. Then again, I try to be pretty precise when applying waxes and sealants (i.e. trying to keep it off trim, wipe off immediately when I do get it on, etc). Sorry I can`t be much more help than that.

Rickrack
04-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Why not use a wax that doesn`t stain trim in the fist place so you don`t have to tape off. There is no excuse today to use a trim staining wax or difficult to use wax when there are so many user friendly alternatives.

I guess...

Do you purposely wax your trim? I would just be really careful not to get any on the trim. That way you won`t have to worry about any staining. :)

HD is a great wax and is worth the purchase. I have a jar and can test a little spot and let you know if it`s a deciding factor...

kkreit01
04-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Most people are in a hurry when detailing a car. There are only so many hours available during the day. I once started taping all my trim -- then I said "___ that". It was taking way too long. There are many high quality products available -- which do not stain trim. I will stick to them.

fredcandetail
04-06-2010, 11:44 AM
AgHD does not stain trim ... applied 2 coats on my black Tahoe amd OMG ... super slick-deep and wet! Nonetheless I am sure you know it comes with these little spongelike applicators that IMO are the best in the world BUT it is probably as i have medium size hands. My worker who has bigger hands did have it slip out of his hands and yes I did hit the trim once on accident and it wiped off with no problems.

Dan
04-06-2010, 12:05 PM

Exactly. I hate LSPs that stain trim. Meguiars is offender #1 in that regard. Anything they make for paint reeks havoc on trim. NXT, 105/205... OMG if you get that stuff on rubber, its easier to get new trim if you let it bake on. In fact that reminds me, I need to give away the rest of my Meguiars LSPs just for this reason.

XRL
04-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Exactly. I hate LSPs that stain trim. Meguiars is offender #1 in that regard. Anything they make for paint reeks havoc on trim. NXT, 105/205... OMG if you get that stuff on rubber, its easier to get new trim if you let it bake on. In fact that reminds me, I need to give away the rest of my Meguiars LSPs just for this reason.

*cough* dibs *cough*

As an aside, stop talking praise of the Autoglym HD. You have no idea how hard it is to keep from buying it.

Dan
04-06-2010, 03:48 PM
*cough* dibs *cough*

As an aside, stop talking praise of the Autoglym HD. You have no idea how hard it is to keep from buying it.

Hey, its from Wal-mart, if you hate it, they`ll take it back! And its not like you`ll get nagged about ANOTHER package showing up at your doorstep. I just hope they don`t get SRP because I`ll probably fall for that too.

XRL
04-06-2010, 06:19 PM
My gf will know and stab me in my sleep.

01RedSLK
04-07-2010, 06:49 AM

It`s not like you`re throwing away $35 - you`re buying stuff to WORK and TAKE GOOD CARE of your cars - I`m sure her car would look better with AGHD.

And so far as the trim, I did have the car taped when polishing but I DO like to use the various waxes on the trim which keeps them pretty much like new with no other treatment.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up waxing the 190 early yesterday - found on the Autoglym site that the AGHD does not stain the trim - works WONDERFULLY (didn`t even need to remove it from the trim right away like with Zymol).

Great stuff - buy some!!!! :xyxthumbs

craigdt
04-07-2010, 08:06 AM

I have mine trained for minimal eye roll when we have to walk down the car care isle

everytime we go to walmart.

Accumulator
04-07-2010, 08:42 AM
..I DO like to use the various waxes on the trim which keeps them pretty much like new with no other treatment.... AGHD does not stain the trim - works WONDERFULLY (didn`t even need to remove it from the trim right away like with Zymol)...

Thanks for reporting that. I too like to LSP my trim.