PDA

View Full Version : How do you dry interiors after a shampoo?

Pages : [1] 2

DLR Detailing
01-04-2006, 07:51 PM
I currently use an extractor on a full interior shampoo. Sometimes, I follow up with my shop vac (filter removed) to help remove excess moisture from the "extra dirty" jobs. I realize the less water that is introduced into the interior the better, but sometimes it can`t be helped. I do use an industrial floor fan aimed inside of an open door while I work on the exterior. This is something I always have to work around however. I also have used an electric leaf blower to speed things up, but I feel there has to be a better way.

I was wondering what the popular drying method on DC is?

I am considering buying a small portable air mover to place inside of customer vehicles to help expedite the drying process. I am also requesting input from members as to brand recommendations? What are your experiences... durability, maintenance?

Thanks in advance for your advice and help!
Dave

TrueDetailer
01-04-2006, 08:01 PM
I use a mytee extractor so i get most of the water up with that. But normally i`ll pull the car into the sun and open the doors. I also have a large floor fan that i`ll use if i`m in a hurry. Check it out in the attatched pic.

NEW AGAIN
01-04-2006, 08:16 PM
What kind of extractor are you using? and Is it operating at 100%?

GregCavi
01-04-2006, 08:40 PM
I leave the floor mats out to dry and I will just leave the car out to dry with the doors open. I always do interiors first in full details so that there is the time to have it dry out.

Greg

vwgtivw
01-04-2006, 08:42 PM
I use a Blue Blower with heater adapter (google blue blower).

Brenton
01-04-2006, 08:58 PM
When it isn`t warm, I run the car for 15-20mins with windows cracked.

maximv1
01-04-2006, 09:40 PM
When it isn`t warm, I run the car for 15-20mins with windows cracked.

that`s what i like to do. the carpets dry very quickly if you crank the heat and fan and put the mode selector on the floor.

probegt
01-04-2006, 11:03 PM
I usually use the exhaust port of my shop vac to circulate the air in the vehicle while I do the outside. In the winter, I will use a couple of hair dryers along with the shop vac to circulate the warm air if needed. Sounds funny but works really well.

Don
01-05-2006, 06:28 AM
In the summer, I park the car in full sun and leave the windows about 1/3 of the way down. Having the car mostly shut up lets heat build up inside and the partially open windows lets the evaporating water escape.

On minivans, I have been known to put a household dehumidifier in the back and completely close up the car.

DLR Detailing
01-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Great advice guys! :yourrock

vwgtivw, I did the :search That is more what I had in mind for price, Thanks!

Don, I understand that mini-vans always call for drastic measures. :bigups

:thanks everyone for your help!

Dave

Inthedetails
01-05-2006, 06:45 PM
I have also had success with a small ceramic heater placed inside the car. Doesn`t take long for it to heat the whole inside.

dimedrol
01-05-2006, 07:09 PM
Blue Blower here, with heater attachement x 2

0hstillclean
01-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Maybe the wierdest way but when i worked at ford my boss would pull the cars out of the bay windows up.... heat on and put to floor on full blast .... xxxx the door and walk away.... my god did it work... the inside of the car would be disgustingly hot whenyou open the door but holy crap did it work like no other and the worst part is we had air movers and blowers and all them things.

Brenton
01-06-2006, 06:52 AM
I find with the windows up the car is damp in the air afterwards, and the carpets are damp the next morn.

Brenton
01-20-2006, 12:49 PM
So I found a car where my method (windows cracked, heater on) didn`t work. Guy had water coming in behind the firewall from the engine bay.
After 1/2 hour, it still was wet. I extracted again, still wait. I put it in a warm shop overnight, still damp. This is what we did: I bought a ceramic space heater with a heat shut off (so it doesn`t overheat) and put it in the car. This is working, thanx for the idea.
I also bought some rocker guard and sealed some places on the top of the firewall that were open so the problem won`t be as bad again.