PDA

View Full Version : Tips and free gifts from customers

Pages : [1] 2

mini1
04-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Do any of the mobile owners get tips or gifts on a regular basis? I`ve found that when I used to work for someone else, I NEVER got tips of any kind and I was normally the one doing most of the work and delivering the car to the customer. Since owning my own business, I have found that about 50% of my customers tip. I have some that offer random gifts. I have one client that cleans out his house every time I go there and offers me stuff that he thinks I might want. He gave me a like new power washer valued at about $150 last time I went out. Most will offer a free lunch of some type and then some will just give me a load of extra cash. Some regular clients will never ever tip or even offer lunch, and others are offering me just about everything from a subway sub to a case of beer (was offered that last week and had to laugh!). The people with trashed cars seem to either not tip or tip like $10, yet I spend more time on their vehicles and they know it!

What is your experience?

todd@bsaw
04-03-2010, 08:07 PM
In my personal experiences, I have found the exact opposite to be true. When I worked for a shop (doing all the work, delivering vehicles, talking with the customer) I would get tipped all the time. Now that I operate the business on my own, I hardly ever receive a tip, though I do get offered lunch or something to drink while I`m working.

I think, in my situation at least, people feel that I own the business and if I wanted more money I would charge more, as opposed to being the lackey before that did all the work while people knew I wasn`t pocketing the $200 from detailing their cars (although my commission was very good).

I never expect a tip whenever I go to do a job. Getting offered a glass of ice water while I`m working in someone`s garage is a nice enough gesture for me.

WAS
04-04-2010, 11:57 AM
In my market area, tipping at a detail shop isn`t common practice. That said, my POS machine is setup to ask the customer if they want to enter a tip. And since everyone pays with a card, either credit or interac (we have yet to have a single person pay with cash), everyone gets the option to tip if they want to. I`d say ~30% of customers do.

alloutdetailing
04-04-2010, 04:26 PM
I have found that it is mixed a bit. I can do a car for a scum bag and he maybe gives me $5-$10 or I can do a job for another scum bag and they tip me $40-$50. Then you have your picky azz people who give you a smile (LMFAO) and say thanks. So IDK what I`m trying to say but I guess it`s the luck of the draw!

WAS
04-04-2010, 05:47 PM
I have found that it is mixed a bit. I can do a car for a scum bag and he maybe gives me $5-$10 or I can do a job for another scum bag and they tip me $40-$50. Then you have your picky azz people who give you a smile (LMFAO) and say thanks. So IDK what I`m trying to say but I guess it`s the luck of the draw!

Sheer curiosity, but can you define "scumbag" for us ?

And just because people don`t tip doesn`t make them "picky azz". Folks are already paying for a service to be done. Do you tip the mechanic at the dealership ? Do you tip the painter who paints your home ? Do you tip the doctor at the doc`s office ? Hey I`m the first one to say that I appreciate tips, but I don`t think that just because someone doesn`t tip, it makes them a "picky azz" or any less important of a customer.

Aesop F1
04-04-2010, 10:07 PM
While my employee does not do a lot of work cars in my shop nor deliver the vehicles/talk to clients I always give him the tips from the customer. I feel a tip is an extra appreciation from my clients. I am stunned to read the above comments from some people about customers not tipping or tipping enough. If you want more money per job, raise your prices.

IkeRay
04-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Sheer curiosity, but can you define "scumbag" for us ?

And just because people don`t tip doesn`t make them "picky azz". Folks are already paying for a service to be done. Do you tip the mechanic at the dealership ? Do you tip the painter who paints your home ? Do you tip the doctor at the doc`s office ? Hey I`m the first one to say that I appreciate tips, but I don`t think that just because someone doesn`t tip, it makes them a "picky azz" or any less important of a customer.

sort of off-topic but similar, my wife`s co-worker tips almost everyone. she tips the person at subway that makes the sub, she tips the people at McD that run the register, she was apparently raised to tip if anyone did anything for her (as a service).

mose
04-05-2010, 04:21 PM
As the owner of the business I never epxect a tip but always appreciate and make a very big deal out of it, to the customer, when I do. I have received cash, movie tickets, wine as well as the subsequent referal business which I believe to be the ultimate tip!!

Envious Eric
04-05-2010, 04:39 PM
"the referral of me to your friends is the greatest tip you can give me" - unknown

I get about 70% of my clients tip about $20...helps cover supplies and gas getting there

Barry Theal
04-05-2010, 06:20 PM
I never expect them, Nor do I care for them. I`ll admit this weekend I got a $100.00 tip from one client and 25 from another after a headlight restoration. Some tip some don`t. Adjust your prices for what you want and life will be good.

WAS
04-05-2010, 07:32 PM
sort of off-topic but similar, my wife`s co-worker tips almost everyone. she tips the person at subway that makes the sub, she tips the people at McD that run the register, she was apparently raised to tip if anyone did anything for her (as a service).

Wow, that`s pretty crazy. Not to be cheap-stake, but there`s a LOT of cash that gets spent by doing that.

04-05-2010, 08:13 PM

You should be more careful how you talk about your customers. I`m a "scum bag" originally from your area, and you just made sure that I never refer any of my 200 or so "scum bag" family, friends, acquaintences and former coworkers in that area to you.

Unbelieveable.

Labster
04-05-2010, 08:48 PM
I don`t expect it but probably 50% of the people I do work for do tip. I have one customer who I do multiple cars for and I give him a group rate and he always tips. I took cement off his wife`s car and he tipped me $100 which I was shocked. I make it a point to not look at the check people give me until I`m away from them as I feel it`s a bit of disrespect.

EcoAutoCT
04-06-2010, 06:11 AM
I have had a few customers tip $100+ on bigger jobs, other customers that I give a discount to who make up the difference and more with a tip, and the majority that consistently tip enough for me to buy lunch and pay for gas. I have customers go as far as offering me the use of their vacation home, others that insist I take their car around the block for a test drive; and while I always come prepared I`m often offered a coffee/water/snack/etc all of which I politely decline.

If you tailor your service it builds a personal relationship between you and your customers.

I don`t expect it but probably 50% of the people I do work for do tip. I have one customer who I do multiple cars for and I give him a group rate and he always tips. I took cement off his wife`s car and he tipped me $100 which I was shocked. I make it a point to not look at the check people give me until I`m away from them as I feel it`s a bit of disrespect.

Check or cash goes straight into my pocket, I don`t even look at or count it until later. It`s not the money but the gesture that gives me a feeling of appreciation and gratitude later on when it`s even just a few bucks more than I charged; as if the car was cleaner than it had to be- or the results were more than they expected.

mose
04-06-2010, 08:39 AM
I make it a point to not look at the check people give me until I`m away from them as I feel it`s a bit of disrespect.

I do the same exact thing. If I find that they have tipped me, after they have gone, I will make sure and call to say "Thanks" but I never look at the check when they hand it to me. If it`s cash they usually count it out in front of me so I know if they have tipped or not.

I get to detail cars, make them look better than they ever have, make the customers happy and they hand me a wad of money afterwards. Life is good!