PDA

View Full Version : Finishing polish after m205?

Pages : [1] 2

Redem
04-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Hi

After much reading here i have decided to attempt to correct some mild swirls on two cars. One is a mazda speed 3, the other a 328i. From my understanding the mazda paint is fairly soft and I believe my swirls will be able to be corrected with 205 without issue.

I have seen several mention that they are unable to get 205 to finish well. What kind of polishes should i be looking at to finish on soft paint such as mazdas? I remember there being some sort of chart listing on how abrassive different products were but it seems to be gone from the site. Trying to figure out if I need a finishing polish or even if 205 may be overkill is difficult with my limited experience. Can anyone give me an idea of how abrasive m205/m105 are?

imported_WCD
04-02-2010, 09:43 PM
I just used 205 this last week and was satisfied greatly with the results..both with Flex and Makita white foam polishing pads.

However, I did finish with a Mezerna micro type product..not sure of name as I have not used it before. Used it with a blue finishing pad.

You can view the video of it on Welcome-auto detailing- santa barbara - santa barbara mobile car wash and auto detailing (http://www.autodetailingteacher.com) and click on the videos in the upper left hand corner.

I followed that with Poxy on speed 1 on Flex and black finishing pad.

Rob Regan

Redem
04-03-2010, 01:13 AM
Some products I have used or currently have but have not tried yet...

1- m205 (not used)

2- m105 (not used)

3- einszett paint polish

4- einszett metallic polish

5- z-aio

Can someone give me an idea how aggressive these products are? Z-aio and metallic polish did nearly no correction for me, while I was able to remove light swirls without trouble with paint polish. How do m205 and m105 compare?

LS1-MEX
04-03-2010, 01:49 AM
i always have great results when i use the M-twins......but i sometime use dodo juice "purple haze" as a final wax

OllieJay
04-03-2010, 02:21 AM
I just used 205 this last week and was satisfied greatly with the results..both with Flex and Makita white foam polishing pads.

Rob Regan

I Just finished using 105 with orange (light cut) foam pad followed buy 205 with the white foam on a black pontiac and results were stunning!... Just need the right technique and you should be fine.

Redem
04-03-2010, 02:29 AM
Considering I am new to machine polishing using a DA; Could i simply step down a pad and use that to finish with 205 assuming 205 is enough on mazdas soft clear coat. I figured I would start with a white pad and 205 and if that corrects the mild swirls I would step it down to a grey or blue pad? I am unsure of the difference between grey, red, and blue pads.

I am completely lost on the bmw as ive heard the clear is harder and this car is a frequent auto car washed car.

blake_jl
04-03-2010, 02:56 AM
M205 on a Lake Country black glazing pad = killer combo

strauss
04-03-2010, 07:47 AM
Yes, if the M205 happens to not finish down perfect for you with a white pad, just swap to a black or blue pad and hit the car again with the M205 and you should be all set.

Most of the time M205/white finishes down well enough for me to be LSP ready. Some cars if the paint is really soft, or for when I am going for extreme gloss, I will follow up the M205 with Menzerna PO85rd with a black pad.

Accumulator
04-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Redem- I wouldn`t assume that the M205 won`t finish out nicely enough. While I`ve brought up the gloss a *little* bit by following it with a Menzerna finishing polish (the stuff they sold under the BF label), the M205 still leaves things very nice.

The 1Z MP (which version?) is very, very gentle, almost functionally nonabrasive. I usually use the Pro version for the final buff on my S8. But just because it`s very gentle, that doesn`t necessarily mean it`ll leave a nicer finish than M205.

1Z PP has about as much cut as M205...well, they`re close but *different*. It doesn`t leave as nice a finish as M205. It`s much milder than M105.

Redem
04-03-2010, 12:42 PM
The 1z metallic polish is in a small red can square can? I`ve used it by hand and it seemed to hide most if not all small imperfections yet it would not do much to correct them.

If m205 works well for me, is this a polish i can use 3 or 4 times a year without issues? Meg products always have funny names which are pretty confusing. It is listed as a finishing polish, but it seems people are really getting some nice correction with m205. Is this the kind of polish I can use regularly to add some shine but still take out my mild swirls? Mild to me may not be mild to others, the swirls are pretty hard to find in any lightning so I should probably call them very light swirls. This is not under any special type of lightning or anything though.

Accumulator
04-04-2010, 10:09 AM
The 1z metallic polish is in a small red can square can? I`ve used it by hand and it seemed to hide most if not all small imperfections yet it would not do much to correct them.

Ah, OK, that`s the consumer-line version (which contains both natural and synthetic waxes). Yeah...too mild for any real correction in most cases. Close to "functionally nonabrasive".

If m205 works well for me, is this a polish i can use 3 or 4 times a year without issues?

If it corrects enough for you to be satisfied during this detail, then I`d sure think twice about using it that often. IMO if you have to polish more than once a year (and fairly lightly that one time), then something`s wrong (usually with the wash).

IF something needs redone that often, I`d think about concealing the flaws rather than correcting them.

Meg products always have funny names which are pretty confusing. It is listed as a finishing polish, but it seems people are really getting some nice correction with m205. Is this the kind of polish I can use regularly to add some shine but still take out my mild swirls?

Other people seem to get more correction out of it than I do :nixweiss For frequent use, say...to bring up the gloss a little, I`d want something too gentle to take out "mild swirls". That`d be something like Menzerna FPII or your 1Z MP.

Mild to me may not be mild to others, the swirls are pretty hard to find in any lightning so I should probably call them very light swirls. This is not under any special type of lightning or anything though.

Yeah, different people see things differently. For *me*, if you can see the marring without any special effort/lighting/etc. then things sound kinda serious...but that`s just *me*. I can understand/live with some random isolated flaws here and there, but if you can just look at the overall vehicle and say "yeah..this could use some polishing" then to me that`s really something.

Redem
04-04-2010, 01:03 PM
The swirls really arent bad, but i was able to see them which was very hard to do in direct sunlight + some sun glasses. I really had to look at the spot and hunt them down. I drive this car everyday so i do not need it perfect. I figured since its been 3 years maybe it was time for a light polish. Maybe 205 isnt the light polish i think it is?? I would be happy with a simple glaze and some 845 really. The color is crystal white pearl which also makes it pretty hard to see im sure.

Maybe i should be filling and hiding these extremely small defects *to me* instead of looking for a light polish? I would like to have some different products on hand, besides fpII, can you reccommend me some others to pick up and try that might be safe to use to give the car a boost? I will simply test myself and see what works for me as that seems to be the only way to go.

The bmw on the other hand is simply a car i can walk up to and see swirls on when the sun is out. It only has about 15k miles at that. These swirls are mainly from autowashes im sure. 205 may not be enough...

Redem
04-04-2010, 01:59 PM
I think i have been going about this the wrong way. There is no choice but to try them for myself and find what i think works as you all have told me before.

I currently have or have in cart to buy...

duragloss soap 901?

z1 car wash soap

z1 clay

m205

sea sponge - hope this work well.

1z pp and mp polishes

black wow

ultima tire and trim guard

griots 6 inch da

3 5x5 orange pads, 3 whites, 2 grey, 1 orange all 6.5

zaio

Can someone point me in the right direction for some glazes and finishing polishes, something just to bring put the shine and hide some flaws? I also need something that will restore trim as it has some wax stains, black wow isnt working for me.

Accumulator
04-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Can someone point me in the right direction for some glazes and finishing polishes, something just to bring put the shine and hide some flaws? I also need something that will restore trim as it has some wax stains, black wow isnt working for me.

Eh, I still don`t think you need a(nother) finishing polish nearly as badly as you need something with a bit more cut. You already have the M205 and 1Z MP :nixweiss

Sorry, no real thoughts about the trim. I`d clean it with dried-wax remover or APC or somesuch (what the stuff called... GR40?) and try KAIO on it if it were mine.

Redem
04-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Edit - I understand, i have been looking at some products wrong. Keeping things simple, is it safe to say that any final step/finishing polishes should leave paint in a ready to wax stage? Between major details no matter if you have to do heavy correction or next to no correction, do glazes ever really come into play at all? Assuming I keep my car swirl free I should not need any enchancing glazes or polishes outside of my choice of sealants and waxes?

Hope that makes sense...