PDA

View Full Version : Noob here, Brand new Black Benz, what now?

JamesAMG
04-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Hi all,

Although I joined this forum many many moons ago, I haven`t really posted as I didn`t have any real questions. Recently I purchased a new black benz and I want to do everything possible to take care of this car.

I`ve read most of the help guides but I don`t think there was anything specific about taking care of black paint and product recommendations.

Can you give me some recommendations on products that I should be using to keep this car in tip top shape?

Also, what are your opinions on using Rejex on a new car?

Thanks.

Accumulator
04-02-2010, 10:01 AM
JamesAMG- Welcome to Autopia!

I can`t help with the Rejex, but my advice is to concentrate on washing without instilling marring. And I`d really *study* the topic, learning how "swirls and spiderwebs" happen and why, and how to avoid that.

Don`t mar the paint and you`re 99% of the way home free.

Dirt is abrasive. It sticks to the paint. How do you detach it from the paint, and move it across/off the paint without allowing it to *scratch* the paint? Sounds simple...easier said than done though ;)

If any scratch is more than an inch or two long, you`re doing something very, very wrong.

Gee, hope the preceding doesn`t sound too :nono I approach it this way- clearcoat is clearcoat, having a black basecoat under it just means that any flaws will be pretty obvious. So avoiding those flaws would be my #1 priority. All the talk about "which wax for black"/etc. is kinda pointless in comparison (well, IMO at least).

craigdt
04-02-2010, 10:54 AM
^^ Accumulator is spot on.

If you can avoid marring, your job will be relatively simple.

Find yourself an LSP that you like, keep every thing clean and protected and your

Benz will last a long time.

And BTW, welcome to Autopia (even though you were here waaay before me)

ALAN81
04-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Can we see a picture of the car?

2005GTPinMD
04-02-2010, 11:28 AM
As others have said, try to keep wash induced marring to a minimum. Some tips that come of the top of the head. Definitely use the two bucket method to wash the car. A foam gun helps too.

JamesAMG
04-02-2010, 11:34 AM
^^ Accumulator is spot on.

If you can avoid marring, your job will be relatively simple.

Find yourself an LSP that you like, keep every thing clean and protected and your

Benz will last a long time.

And BTW, welcome to Autopia (even though you were here waaay before me)

LSP?

Here are some photos of the car.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff69/OceanViewer/New%20Whip/IMG_0464.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff69/OceanViewer/New%20Whip/IMG_0465.jpg

Camaro5Ryan
04-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Sweet ride man...

Perfect your washing technique and understand that 1 spec of dust being rubbed against the clear will cause those infamous swirls / marring. Always work with clean towels / pads. If you drop one, get a new one, this rule applys to anything touching the paint, applicators, towels, clay bars, pads, ect.

Check out AJ`s videos (http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=108) over at adamsforums.com.. Very informative, and he`s one of the nicest guys you`ll ever talk to.

Just my .02

2005GTPinMD
04-02-2010, 02:14 PM
LSP = last step product i.e. wax or sealant. The difference between wax and sealant being that sealants are chemically derived waxes vs. waxes are based on all natural products. With a few exceptions (Collonite), sealants are much more durable than waxes. See that attached link for additional information:

Carnauba Car Wax vs. Paint Sealants, carnauba wax reviews, paint sealant reviews (http://www.autogeek.net/qude101.html)

With the Mercedes you may have a ceramic clear coat which is bit more scratch resistant.

Dan
04-02-2010, 02:41 PM
This might sound obvious to most people here, but it never gets mentioned, rule #1 is:

Don`t let anyone touch your car, dealers/carwashes/etc are notorious for swirling up your paint.

Rule #2 is:

Re-learn how to wash your car so you don`t add yourself to rule #1

As said, black shows everything, don`t let it ruin the ownership experience. Skip the sealants as they will only show off the scratches you WILL get.

JamesAMG
04-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Thanks guys,

No one has touched the car except the dealer at delivery and I hope they only washed it once.

Gonna be reading a lot here over the weekend and get up to speed.

I have so much to read to catch up.

Again, thanks!

Thomas Dekany
04-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Thanks guys,

No one has touched the car except the dealer at delivery and I hope they only washed it once.

Again, thanks!

:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall

Scottwax
04-02-2010, 09:17 PM
This might sound obvious to most people here, but it never gets mentioned, rule #1 is...

Rule #3 is:

Don`t ever touch the paint unless you are washing, claying, polishing or waxing your car. Don`t rub you hands over it, don`t set anything on it.

The good thing is the PPG CeramiClear paint on your car is pretty resistant to swirling provided you do a good job washing the car.

Lou K
04-03-2010, 02:54 AM
Thanks guys,

Again, thanks!

And one other thing to remember "Black is not a color-It`s a Part time job". I can vouch for that owning a black SL55.