PDA

View Full Version : Black Audi >.<

D.NGUYEN
03-31-2010, 09:42 PM
Well I`m beat.

I`m having a tough time dealing with my Phantom Black Audi A4. I can remove most swirls...etc but can`t deal with the hairline scratches.

I`m using a PC with orange/M105 and that can get it nice but with the light on it, I can see the hairline scratches. I stepped it up to the yellow pad and that doesn`t really do much either except cause a bit more hazing which 205 clears up.

So what now? Just leave it at that and forfeit and live with the scratches while sort of covering up with Zaino Z5?

ADetailedFinish
03-31-2010, 11:12 PM
I had a problem with my black audi and the scratches... I didn`t try the m105, but I was using menzerna polishes and the PC with orange and yellow. Didn`t do much so I went and order a flex rotary and that took care of my problem. A lil bit more cutting power that way.

motobuild
03-31-2010, 11:15 PM
Man oh man, welcome to Audi`s (nice on btw, you on the `Zine?).

What size orange pad are you using? On my Silver B7, I could get light swirls with a 5.5 orange and M105, but anything more than that, I had to go down to a 4" PFW.

My after winter detail is coming up here soon, and now we have a Flex and just got our order of Hydro-Tech pads in. So I will be trying those.

From MY experience (and anyone feel free to correct me) a PC just is not powerful enough to do high percentage correction on an Audi (at least on a B7).

D.NGUYEN
04-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Man oh man, welcome to Audi`s (nice on btw, you on the `Zine?).

What size orange pad are you using? On my Silver B7, I could get light swirls with a 5.5 orange and M105, but anything more than that, I had to go down to a 4" PFW.

My after winter detail is coming up here soon, and now we have a Flex and just got our order of Hydro-Tech pads in. So I will be trying those.

From MY experience (and anyone feel free to correct me) a PC just is not powerful enough to do high percentage correction on an Audi (at least on a B7).

Haha, yea, i`m on the `Zine.

I`m using a 4" pad. The yellow pad seems to only cause hazing and doesn`t have any bite. So frustrating, then after I go over it and then use a microfibre, seems to cause scratches again haha.

Accumulator
04-01-2010, 10:38 AM
I`ve removed pretty nasty scratches from behind Audi door handles...by hand. So yeah, it *can* be done, but that`s almost just theoretical when it comes down to what`s required. I mean..this is simply *abrasion*. People have been abrading stuff (like, uhm...stones and metals) to a perfect finish for centuries, and they did it without polishing machines.

Some sorta-random thoughts from a long-time Audi nut:

-Are they too deep for *safe* complete removal?

-Are you working the area enough? I don`t mean just six/eight times either.

-3.5"/4" PFW can do more than orange foam, and it`s safer.

-What about using a Flex 3401 or doing the initial, heavy correction via rotary?

-What about wetsanding with 3-4K?

-What about Surbuf pads with M105?

-What *caused* the marring in the first place? If a scratch is more than a couple inches long then something`s wrong with some process.

-Along the same lines, how often are you gonna do this (cc thickness issues)?

-(Warning, Autopian Heresy!) How much do you really care?

D.NGUYEN
04-01-2010, 11:04 AM
I`ve removed pretty nasty scratches from behind Audi door handles...by hand. So yeah, it *can* be done, but that`s almost just theoretical when it comes down to what`s required. I mean..this is simply *abrasion*. People have been abrading stuff (like, uhm...stones and metals) to a perfect finish for centuries, and they did it without polishing machines.

Some sorta-random thoughts from a long-time Audi nut:

-Are they too deep for *safe* complete removal?

-Are you working the area enough? I don`t mean just six/eight times either.

-3.5"/4" PFW can do more than orange foam, and it`s safer.

-What about using a Flex 3401 or doing the initial, heavy correction via rotary?

-What about wetsanding with 3-4K?

-What about Surbuf pads with M105?

-What *caused* the marring in the first place? If a scratch is more than a couple inches long then something`s wrong with some process.

-Along the same lines, how often are you gonna do this (cc thickness issues)?

-(Warning, Autopian Heresy!) How much do you really care?

They are not even that deep, can barely feel it going over it with fingers, most of them is just very light.

I might not be working it long enough. Feels like I`m getting knowhere. I`ll try the yellow pad again.

I don`t have the more powerful equipment. It`s not really that bad, it`s actually pretty good in most people`s eyes, I just get so mad! hahaha.

Maybe most of it is just left over oil streaking that I think is a scratch? However, there are some light scratches.

Accumulator
04-01-2010, 11:10 AM
They are not even that deep, can barely feel it going over it with fingers, most of them is just very light...

Well, if you *could* feel it, even a little, I`d think twice.

I might not be working it long enough. Feels like I`m getting knowhere. I`ll try the yellow pad again.

I`d ditch the yellow and use an orange. IMO the M105 doesn`t need worked *long*, about six times across the (small) section is plenty. It`s just that you have to do that over and over and over ...

Maybe most of it is just left over oil streaking that I think is a scratch? However, there are some light scratches.

I doubt it, more likely the oils are making things look better than they are (sorry :o ). Those light scratches oughta come out with M105/orange if you do it enough times. Heh heh, at least it`s easier/quicker than it was before M105 came out :D