PDA

View Full Version : M205/Black Audi question

Furd
03-30-2010, 04:12 PM
I`m getting ready to work on my 2009 black Audi following the winter. There are some light swirls and fine scratches that I would like to polish out. (Most likely from poor technique while washing the car this winter in the unheated garage.)

I have some 205, which I plan to use with a white pad on a PC. I am somewhat concerned because this is my first time polishing an Audi, which I understand has a hard clear coat.

How much correction can I anticipate with that combo on the Audi? Assuming that its enough, will I have to follow with a finishing pad? If its not enough, would it be better to try something like Scratch-X on the white pad or use a different pad (like a green maybe) with the 205.

I suspect that it might be difficult to answer specifically without pictures. I`m just trying to get a handle on what I can expect.

Carticular
03-30-2010, 04:38 PM
I have a 2006 Brilliant black A4 and M205 does a great job and finishes LSP ready. It won`t take out scratches but handles swirls and spiderwebs very well. I used M205 on a 5.5" white LC pad via a Porter Cable.

gmblack3
03-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Do you have any orange pads? They work great with 205 and can still finish out very well on harder clears. You can go 205/white after if yoou want.

See my sig. 205 has the same pad priming steps as 105, 205 is just much easier to work with.

Furd
03-31-2010, 08:51 AM
Do you have any orange pads? They work great with 205 and can still finish out very well on harder clears. You can go 205/white after if yoou want.

See my sig. 205 has the same pad priming steps as 105, 205 is just much easier to work with.

Thanks. I do have some orange pads.

I`ll think that I`ll polish a relatively small area with a white and bump it up to an orange if necessary.

Accumulator
03-31-2010, 10:23 AM
Eh, I do better with M105 for the initial work, followed by M205. Yeah, even for light stuff. And I need 4" pads to get anything done on my Audis via PC, even though others do OK with bigger ones.

D.NGUYEN
03-31-2010, 04:08 PM
Goodluck! I love my Phantom Black 09 A4 but it`s FML when it comes to detailing it. If anyone has any tips please let me know!

Feels like orange pad with 105 is still not tough enough with a PC. Yellow perhaps but it takes some patience and then you have to go over with 205 because of hazing.

Carticular
04-01-2010, 06:32 AM
Goodluck! I love my Phantom Black 09 A4 but it`s FML when it comes to detailing it. If anyone has any tips please let me know!

Feels like orange pad with 105 is still not tough enough with a PC. Yellow perhaps but it takes some patience and then you have to go over with 205 because of hazing.

What size pad are you using? If it`s bigger than 5.5" it will take longer to see results.

Accumulator
04-01-2010, 10:18 AM
What size pad are you using? If it`s bigger than 5.5" it will take longer to see results.

Yeah :xyxthumbs

Repeating...

... I need 4" pads to get anything done on my Audis via PC....

Simple as that. Get a Flex, or learn the rotary, or use 4" pads.

IMO, Audis oughta come with a Flex 3401 in the trunk ;)

Hey, you think doing it via PC is tough, wait until you need to fix fingernail scratches behind the door handles (by hand). Lousy way to spend an afternooon...

Furd
04-01-2010, 10:43 AM

Thanks. Does anyone (like Accumlator maybe :wavey) have experience with a PFW on an Audi?

From what I`ve read it seems than people in these parts favor the PFW over a yellow pad.

Accumulator
04-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Does anyone (like Accumlator maybe :wavey) have experience with a PFW on an Audi?

From what I`ve read it seems than people in these parts favor the PFW over a yellow pad.

Yeah, PFW works OK for this, but I`ve only used the little 3.5" ones. Look up the recent (i.e., today) thread about correcting another black Audi, I listed some things to consider.

FWIW, I *never* seem to use yellow foam cutting pads except for weird situations which are almost always with the rotary.