PDA

View Full Version : What is the best stuff for leather seats?

hitman34608
03-30-2010, 07:43 AM
My seats are so dry and the over the counter leather cleaner is just not cutting it I was wondering what kit is the best to bring back the leather seats?

thanks,

Blake

RaskyR1
03-30-2010, 08:07 AM
My seats are so dry and the over the counter leather cleaner is just not cutting it I was wondering what kit is the best to bring back the leather seats?

thanks,

Blake

Leatherique

StadiumDetail
03-30-2010, 08:13 AM
Leatherique leather care & restoration products are available in the Leatherique 16 ounce kit! Clean leather seats with leatherique! (http://www.autogeek.net/le16ozkit.html)

takes a lot of time, usually around 24hrs, but well worth it. My suggestion is to find a weekend when you don`t need the car and perform the leather treatment at that time. Search on this forum for a detailed explaination of the process, but here is a short short version:

- Apply Rejuvenator Oil liberally and throughly to all leather on the seats with a foam painting brush

- Cover seats with black heavy duty plastic bags and seal as best as possible

- If seats were removed (best) place them out in the sun, if not then park the car in the sun with windows up. Heat is needed for best results.

- After 24hrs or so remove bags and clean excess oil/dirt off with Prestine Clean

- Done

This system works backwards from all other leather products, the conditioner goes on first and the cleaner second.

judyb
03-30-2010, 08:26 AM
The leatherique system does not make any sense on the coated leather found in most cars. The oil cannot penetrate the finish and therefore only sits on the surface.

Grentz
03-30-2010, 08:30 AM
I have had excellent results with 1Z lederpflege on my BMW`s leather (M3 and 335d).

revoapparel
03-30-2010, 08:34 AM
Judy,

Is the leather master system better suited for the coated leather found in new cars nowadays like my semi-aniline lexus leather?

Dan
03-30-2010, 08:38 AM
As much as some people knock it, the leatherique stuff is the best on dried up leather. That said, its not going to fix it completely, but it does make it softer. If they are indeed that dry, you will probably need to consider re-dying too.

I like 1Z, but it won`t bring back dry leather.

paco
03-30-2010, 08:45 AM
The leatherique system does not make any sense on the coated leather found in most cars. The oil cannot penetrate the finish and therefore only sits on the surface.

Hi Judy,

How is it then that soooo many people are having good/great success with the both products? I`ve seen numerious posts of it being used on Leather in trucks, modest passenger cars all the way to exotics. In almost every case, the leather looks significantly better then prior to the treatment.

Sheen typically significantly less post clean.

Dirt/Stains removed.

Leather apprears conditioned and like new.

However, the combo definitely doesnt seem to tackle dye transfer for obvious reasons if it`s been penetrated and set.

I guess this may be a case that in theory of coated leather it shouldn`t work (for the limited knowledge that most detailers have with the coating process of leathers).. but the proof is in the results that soo many are experiencing. Maybe the coating process does in fact leave the finish breathable to a certain extent unlike the clearcoats of automotive finishes.

There are soo many reputable detailers that use the product extensively that there must be something to it... snake oil? Doesn`t seem so.

Paco

Disclaimer. I have purchased LTT, LeatherMaster and Leatherique but haven`t used Leatherique yet. Will be once the weather warms up and I pull my car out of storage.

RaskyR1
03-30-2010, 08:45 AM
As much as some people knock it, the leatherique stuff is the best on dried up leather. That said, its not going to fix it completely, but it does make it softer. If they are indeed that dry, you will probably need to consider re-dying too.

I like 1Z, but it won`t bring back dry leather.

I must say I was a little skeptical about Leatherique myself with all the conflicting info on leather out there but it really does seem to work very well.

That being said I have also been happy with LM and LTT. ;)

Dan
03-30-2010, 09:31 AM
One other thing to mention too, is that aftermarket leather skins are available online, and if you are a true autopian, IMO that is really the way to go. You get new leather, which can`t be beat. IMO, leather in cars just does not last forever. If it doesn`t crack, it gets all streched out, the cusions get worn out, and nothing you do really makes it like new again. When people are happy to drop $1k on tires, spending just a little less gets you brand new seats which no treatment will match. Just something to think about before you spend $100+ on materials and a lot of time.