PDA

View Full Version : 845 winter durability

efnfast
03-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Back in Sept I was curious how durable 845 would be, so I put 2 layers on everything.

So after basically 7mths of not washing them, I found that for all the cars (z06/viper/65 cobra) that sat in the garge, the 845 was beading as if I`d just applied it a week ago. no sheeting anywhere, just pure beading. :bow

On stuff that was daily driven all winter, pounded by salt and slush and left to sit outside (g35 & q45) everyday, some of the panels (hood/trunk/roof mainly) still had decent beading. The sides and back had a combination of some beading, some sheeting.

So basically on garage kept stuff, 7mths later, I`d say the 845 was still functioning at 90%; on daily driven stuff, I`d say 55% or so (however, keep in mind that dd means -50* temps, salt, slush, everything, didn`t wash either vehicle once since september)

Conclusion - 845 > *

tenorplayer23
03-28-2010, 11:33 PM
> 8????

That would be my experience, as well.....plus, I waxed with Collinite over a layer of Opti-Seal. I think the finish held up alright, given the poor weather and the in/out of garage time, but frankly, I have seen at least that good or better performance with an OTC product (Black Magic Liquid Shine Car Wax, well, sealant). I found that to be bulletproof.....maybe not in the same league as the other boutique waxes/sealants that I have.....but high gloss and DURABLE.

See ya. :wavey

PS - where are you so we can compare environments?

Back in Sept I was curious how durable 845 would be, so I put 2 layers on everything.

So after basically 7mths of not washing them, I found that for all the cars (z06/viper/65 cobra) that sat in the garge, the 845 was beading as if I`d just applied it a week ago. no sheeting anywhere, just pure beading. :bow

On stuff that was daily driven all winter, pounded by salt and slush and left to sit outside (g35 & q45) everyday, some of the panels (hood/trunk/roof mainly) still had decent beading. The sides and back had a combination of some beading, some sheeting.

So basically on garage kept stuff, 7mths later, I`d say the 845 was still functioning at 90%; on daily driven stuff, I`d say 55% or so (however, keep in mind that dd means -50* temps, salt, slush, everything, didn`t wash either vehicle once since september)

Conclusion - 845 > *

efnfast
03-28-2010, 11:56 PM
> 8????

That would be my experience, as well.....plus, I waxed with Collinite over a layer of Opti-Seal. I think the finish held up alright, given the poor weather and the in/out of garage time, but frankly, I have seen at least that good or better performance with an OTC product (Black Magic Liquid Shine Car Wax, well, sealant). I found that to be bulletproof.....maybe not in the same league as the other boutique waxes/sealants that I have.....but high gloss and DURABLE.

See ya. :wavey

PS - where are you so we can compare environments?

>8 .... haha, I don`t know if I could go that long in testing!

I`m from Alberta (Canada) - it gets really cold and really slushy up here :D

Jokeman
03-29-2010, 07:06 AM
Yup, 845 rocks for winter use. No doubt about it.

jopa489
03-29-2010, 08:22 AM
I applied 2 layers of 845 to my DD in early November and it was still beading in mid-March after a rough winter of salt, sand, and touchless car washes. Pretty impressed with the stuff. Last weekend, I stripped it down and put on a quick coat of Natty`s Blue which will last another month or so before the weather is nice enough to do a full spring detail.

jimmie jam
03-29-2010, 10:58 AM
i might be the longest time user and fan of 845 (since 1974). it worked well in the cold extreme of the NE and for the last 30+ years here in the "other" harsh extreme of UV, salt air and humidity. you just can`t beat 845 for an OTC protection, period.

Accumulator
03-29-2010, 11:28 AM
I sometimes get great durability from 845, but sometimes it`s just mediocre...:niweiss Never did figure out any clues as to why.

efnfast- Well, I dunno if the great beading on vehicles that haven`t left the garage is anything special...even the Souveran I use on the Jag will bead like new for ages when it stays inside ;)

You know how I`m always griping about how UPP doesn`t last long for me? I did the S8 back before Thanksgiving and it`s still like I just did it yesterday.

IME the LSPs on unused garage-queens can last an incredibly long time, even *years*.

efnfast
03-29-2010, 11:31 AM
efnfast- Well, I dunno if the great beading on vehicles that haven`t left the garage is anything special...even the Souveran I use on the Jag will bead like new for ages when it stays inside ;)

My liquid soverign used to last weeks, at best. Therefore, I am impressed with it :)

Accumulator
03-29-2010, 11:33 AM
My liquid soverign used to last weeks, at best. Therefore, I am impressed with it :)

Hey, for once maybe I get *better* durability out of a Souveran wax than somebody else :D Never tried the liquid stuff though...

longdx
03-29-2010, 01:40 PM
I used IW845 over PB`s Black Hole this past October on my ss red daily driver (outside 24/7). I just recently re waxed it this past week. The 845 still beaded (albeit not as strongly as before) and held up well through 2 blizzards, salt, road grime, several coin-op pressure washes, rain, etc.

dschribs
03-30-2010, 10:39 AM
I used it on my silver Mazda right before Thanksgiving. Still going strong in terms of beading after a CT winter. I love the fact that it doesn`t have a big hyped marketing campaign and works so well.

kkreit01
03-31-2010, 10:33 AM
I too used IW845 last fall -- on top of DG105. It made for a great combo. Now, if only they could get it to smell better.