PDA

View Full Version : Need to Vent: Tiny Scratches after repaint on 84 PickUp Truck

Pages : [1] 2

imported_detail1
03-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Just pissed off.

I had my dad`s 84 GMC Sierra 3500 PickUp Truck restored- spent alot of money on tune up, parts & repaint.

The truck came out great. Since I had the door gaskets changed, it`s a little tough to close the doors shut. I was w/my neighbor friend and when he could not shut the door, he used his body to close the door. He`s a great neighbor but just does not think when it comes to keeping a car shiny.

He had keys on his pants and now i have 2 tiny scratches on the passenger door. - which I can easily touch up and 2 tiny key scratches. :hairpull :wall

It just makes me sick that I spent so much money and time to get the truck fixed right and the carelessness of some people just piss me off. I guess Im not going to pick up my neighbor in a car anymore.

As soon as the weather gets warmer, I m going to buff the paint w/polish and see if I can make the tiny but annoying scratches a little better.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u130/2badgn/IMG_6162.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u130/2badgn/IMG_6165.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u130/2badgn/IMG_6166.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u130/2badgn/IMG_6167.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u130/2badgn/IMG_6168.jpg

LICamaro85
03-26-2010, 07:33 PM
If you could get a couple pictures of the scratches I can walk you threw a couple step process on how to completely remove the scratches so they are 100 percent removed. Its up to you let me know.

- LI 85

imported_detail1
03-26-2010, 07:37 PM
ok- i just took some pics now but its dark out and they dont show the problem areas. I will snap some pics tomorrow morning n post. The 2 dot scratches can be touched up easily. Its the 2 key marks that look deep. They r about 1/2 inch long n when i rub find finger across them, u can feel it.-- Damn neighbor

imported_detail1
03-27-2010, 03:43 PM
pictures added

Tuck91
03-27-2010, 04:45 PM
If you could get a couple pictures of the scratches I can walk you threw a couple step process on how to completely remove the scratches so they are 100 percent removed. Its up to you let me know.

- LI 85

How can you do that when paint is missing?

Dubbin1
03-27-2010, 11:10 PM
There is no way you`re going to polish those out. best bet is to get the door repainted.

rcrobbins
03-28-2010, 12:12 AM
I wouldn`t go straight to a full out repaint on that door. I`m sure you could touch the 2 chips up to be less noticeable. Next, try adjusting your door catches so the doors shut, latch and align with minimal effort. Doing so will also save your new door seals from being stressed and worn.

acbent
03-28-2010, 06:48 AM
I empathize. I`ve had this discussion with my wife. People just don`t think and it kinda(well actually, really) bugs me too. I pointed out to my wife the key fob that, guess what?... unlocks the car for you. She has a tendency to go at the car door with the key pointing directly at the paint. Not the best aim either. After unlocking the door, the key is in a slightly and perfectly upright position to scratch the paint above the door handle. Don`t get me started on parking lot door dings!

I lived on a island for a while and used to take the ferry. One day a brand new Escalade (not my fav vehicle but it was brand new) rolled onto the boat. One the kids gets out and literally throws the door against a sharp structural member of the boat. It hit so hard that it folder the door lip over and the door bounces back with almost enough force to shut it again. Dad was standing right behind the kid, saw it and didn`t make a peep. It was all I could do to not go over and offer some constructive criticism. LOL!

I know, "cars are for transportation", but I just cringe when I see people do such IMO stupid things that are completely unavoidable.

Anyway...

Truly sorry for your experience.

Adam

imported_detail1
03-28-2010, 07:59 AM
There is no way you`re going to polish those out. best bet is to get the door repainted.

The purpose of posting threads on Autopia is to get good advice from experienced detailers. My plan: 1. I will NOT allow my neighbor near my truck.

2. Touch up 2 scratches. 3. Lightly buff area of damage. 4. Wet sand? 5. Adjust door latches - Thanks rcrobbins.

I have never wet sanded b4 but maybe that will reduce the visibility of the key marks. A repaint is silly & completely out of the question. The amount of labor & time to mask off areas, sand, prime, paint, and blend would be insane for a few scratches.

David Fermani
03-28-2010, 08:03 AM
Repainting will most likely require blending into the cab corner.

Dubbin1
03-28-2010, 08:48 AM
The purpose of posting threads on Autopia is to get good advice from experienced detailers. My plan: 1. I will NOT allow my neighbor near my truck.

2. Touch up 2 scratches. 3. Lightly buff area of damage. 4. Wet sand? 5. Adjust door latches - Thanks rcrobbins.

I have never wet sanded b4 but maybe that will reduce the visibility of the key marks. A repaint is silly & completely out of the question. The amount of labor & time to mask off areas, sand, prime, paint, and blend would be insane for a few scratches.

The scratches are THROUGH the paint, no touch up paint, wet sanding or buffing is going to fix the problem. The only CORRECT fix is a repaint of the door. Can`t figure out how that is "silly"??? Repainting the door is not such a big issue.

LICamaro85
03-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Do not really know what you are talking about dubbin but you can fix that so no one could tell where the scratches are.

Detail1 I will PM you the CORRECT way with some pictures to help you out. When you are finished and you do it correctly I will put money on it that no one will know there was every a defect there. I have done this so many times to all different colors/cars that repainting a panel for a couple key marks or deep scratches is just flat out stupid.

- LI 85

David Fermani
03-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Do not really know what you are talking about dubbin but you can fix that so no one could tell where the scratches are.

Detail1 I will PM you the CORRECT way with some pictures to help you out. When you are finished and you do it correctly I will put money on it that no one will know there was every a defect there. I have done this so many times to all different colors/cars that repainting a panel for a couple key marks or deep scratches is just flat out stupid.

- LI 85

I`ll take that bet.

Tuck91
03-28-2010, 01:02 PM

- LI 85

Really? Do you know what you are talking about?

It is very simple, you cannot fix an area where paint is missing!!!

David Fermani
03-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Shutter - Technically you can *fix* it, but it won`t be undetectable. The word *fix* is open to much interpretation in this case.