PDA

View Full Version : New Possible Counterfeit Laws: ACTA

SilverJag
03-25-2010, 08:32 AM
I really hope I am not breaking any rules - in the case that I am: mods, please don`t hesitate to take it down immediately.

Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counterfeiting_Trade_Agreement)

An agreement that the US government has tried to keep a secret from the US public due to `its sensitivity` has leaked on the internet because other countries did not want the same level of non-transparency. In a nutshell, the law gives ISPs as well as other agencies the right to search your electronics (iPods, computers, etc.) for counterfeit property without a warrant. This goes beyond the proverbial `without reasonable doubt` and bases it solely on suspicion. Sounds like guilty until proven innocent to me.

Just to take a quote:

"It provides for criminalization of copyright infringement, granting law enforcement the powers to perform criminal investigation, arrests and pursue criminal citations or prosecution of suspects who may have infringed on copyright"

I just want to make clear that I *do not* dabble in such affairs, nor do I use the internet in a way that is not intended (aka file sharing, etc.) The reason I am against this is due primarily because of the principle of the matter, and quite frankly see it as unconstitutional.

Thoughts?

*Again, it is not my intent to break any rule set forth by Autopia*