PDA

View Full Version : Favorite hose nozzles?

AntonV
03-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Spring is in the air, and I turned on my outside faucet last weekend.

Im in the market for a new nozzle. I purchased a nice fireman`s nozzle from the NY auto show a few years back. It works great, but I hate the 2 handed operation, especially when you have a mitt on one of your hands.

Just seeing if y`all have any preferences. Im currently using a quick cutoff hose end. i suck at the sheeting method, so i dont mind using something else....

What about a high pressure attachment also?

hkyplaya8904
03-24-2010, 04:55 PM
I was thinking the same thing with the high pressure nozzle it would be great if there is one that turns your reg hose into a high pressure output without the pressure washer setup

AntonV
03-24-2010, 05:18 PM
i like the idea of this for high pressure.....this is what i want to use it for...not really for the paint

http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/GriotsGarage/50199?$detail$

20 bucks from griots, plus, I still think they are having 15% off sale..

coupon code: EMVAHR ends thursday

hkyplaya8904
03-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Did you order one of these i wanna know what kind of pressure it puts out

Accumulator
03-27-2010, 11:57 AM
For regular hose-end nozzles, I`ve gone back to....get this...plastic female quick disconnects with integral shut-offs. I can`t find a pic/link to show what I mean, but these are the things that look sorta like plastic mushrooms.

I have a scad of hose nozzles, including a number of the nice/pricey Griot`s ones. But 99% of the time I just use the plastic q-d things instead.

For one-hand on/off, I just run shut-offs with nice big levers/knobs on them. I keep the nozzle set to the output I want and flip the flow on/off with my thumb. This is practically *vital* when using the foamguns without the pistol-grip nozzles that come with them.

I can end up having a series of quick-disconnects and shut-offs on end of the same hose, but note that the q-ds not only make it easy to switch nozzles, but also allow for full swiveling of whatever`s downstream from them.

Griot`s sells a squeeze-action shut-off (pn 82067) that I used to like with the foamguns, but it just doesn`t flow enough volume, though it wasn`t *bad* in my situation given my boosted pressure. I wouldn`t really recommend it for normal flow-rate situations though. It too requires an up-stream swiveling q-d to make it easy to keep the actuating lever in the right place.

I`ve had a number of sprayers similar to (but not exactly the same as) the Griot`s wheelwell thing. Eh..I`d rather get in there and do things properly and I find most such spray wands to be a lot less handy than I was expecting.

For undercar rinsing, I`m still a big fan of American Waterbrooms Undercar Wand.

AntonV
03-27-2010, 12:10 PM
I didn`t order it yet. I forgot to buy before Thursday night, and missed the 15% off. Plus, I have a feeling I`m not going to love it.

Accumulator
03-27-2010, 12:21 PM
AntonV- Eh, I might just be a pessimistic stick-in-the-mud, but I just don`t see that being something that you`d keep reaching for. I`m pretty sure that *I* would play around with it a few times and then never touch it again.

But hey, wouldn`t be the first time I was 100% wrong about something!

AntonV
03-28-2010, 12:46 PM
I checked out the water brooms website. Really cool product, but pretty pricey. It got me thinking, how hard could it be to make a bootleg one out of PVC?

I guess it`s just a matter of drilling holes the proper size for pressure. I might go pick up some pieces tomorrow on my day off and make a project out of it.

Add some casters on the ends, and seems like you have. Pretty legit knock off.

Also, why not just make a custom tip on a straight PVC and have a cool wheel well sprayer?

Accumulator
03-28-2010, 01:14 PM
I checked out the water brooms website. Really cool product, but pretty pricey. It got me thinking, how hard could it be to make a bootleg one out of PVC...

Heh heh, yeah...somebody else here was gonna do that but AFAIK he never did put anything together. *Sounds* easy enough, but actually doing it....well, you know...

wytstang
03-28-2010, 03:14 PM
I bought the viking brand nozzle off of Bob (danase) while they were on clearance. I love it

Amazon.com: Viking 912600 8-Way Heavy Duty Spray Nozzle: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/Viking-912600-8-Way-Heavy-Nozzle/dp/B001GJ3FIS)

glad I picked both up for $2 each. Kinda wish I bought more at that price.

jrock817
03-28-2010, 03:39 PM
i have one of those "fireman" hose attachments from target. it has a twist mechanism for hard spray, to basically pouring out. also has a lever to adjust flow. its nice because you can really get the water to sheet on the most open setting, and still get it to spray hard enough to not always need the pressure washer. oh and its like 4 bucks

BigAl3
03-28-2010, 03:43 PM
just about any firehose nozzle will work (i`ve got quite a few) and i use them in conjunction with a shut-off valve, so there is no need to keep turning the nozzle to open and shut it off...

Camaro5Ryan
03-28-2010, 05:08 PM
just about any firehose nozzle will work (i`ve got quite a few) and i use them in conjunction with a shut-off valve, so there is no need to keep turning the nozzle to open and shut it off...

I agree, the $7 one works just as good as the $80 griots version.

rotts4u
03-28-2010, 05:11 PM
I like this one from Gilmour. I usually order them online as I cant ever find them locally

Commercial (http://www.gilmour.com/Watering/Hose-End/Nozzles/Insulated-Grip/Commercial.aspx)

jopa489
03-28-2010, 07:14 PM
I have an old one my father gave to me - pretty sure it was my grandfather`s. Solid brass fire-hose style, none of the cheap junky ones they sell at the hardware stores. Pretty sure the thing is indestructible if it`s lasted this long.