PDA

View Full Version : 100% Carnauba Spray Wax

Pages : [1] 2

SilverJag
03-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Does such a thing exist? The reason I ask is because I really like carnauba waxes and have heard that synthetic waxes don`t cure properly over carnauba waxes.

Sorry if this question sounds dumb, but most of the popular spray waxes are either fully synthetic or hybrids at best.

DG AW, OCW, Meg`s Ultimate Quik Wax, etc. are all synthetic. :(

I know Pinnacle makes a carnauba spray wax, but IMO, it`s too costly when compared to others like DG AW. :sadpace:

So anybody know/hear of any good carnauba spray waxes, with as much carnauba content as possible?

Thanks! :)

StadiumDetail
03-24-2010, 09:55 AM
First, be careful of marketing BS when it comes to % of carnuba in a wax. I think the highest actual precentage in a wax is 52% made by Swissvax. The 100% carnuba term means there isn`t beeswax or others mixed in with the carnuba (which is still probably a lie).

Synthetic waxes, otherwise known as paint sealents, offer more protection and longer lasting protection than carnuba at a sacrifice of the beauty/depth a traditional wax gives. A hybrid is supposed to offer both. Sealents and waxes bond just fine together, but there is an order to layering, if a beauty carnuba wax is layered first with a sealent on top then the sealent durability is affected by the lower durability of the wax underneath. So, sealent first for protection, then a beauty wax every month or so as it wears off.

As for the spray detailers and waxes don`t get too hung up on durability, protection properties and such, pick one that goes on easy and works with your pocketbook. The sprays are designed to extend the life of the wax or sealent already on your paint, not to replace them.

Dan
03-24-2010, 10:04 AM
I don`t think there is a way to make a spray wax bond without having some sort of solvent, and if you want wipe on and walk away, you are going to have to use something with some synthetics. OCW works great over anything and maintains the carnauba look.

a.k.a. Patrick
03-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Synthetic waxes, otherwise known as paint sealents, offer more protection and longer lasting protection than carnuba at a sacrifice of the beauty/depth a traditional wax gives.

And thats a misnomer in my book. "Good" synthetics provide outstanding appearance factors.

craigdt
03-24-2010, 10:05 AM
I think the highest actual precentage in a wax is 52% made by Swissvax.

Actually, I think its something like 79% in Zymol Solaris...

But you are spot on otherwise :p

And to the OP, I dont seem to have problems with AW over Nattys Blue thats properly cured...

SilverJag
03-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Great - thanks for the prompt reply guys.

The reason I ask, is that, while overseas this winter, I picked up a carnauba based wax that tends to have decent filling capabilities. I just want to `lock` the concealing property in, and what better way to do so then to top it off with a sealant and use a spray wax periodically to extend the life of the waxes.

As StadiumDetail said, it is probably best that I don`t get hung up on the intricacies.

So to summarize:

carnauba wax that conceals defects.

synthethic sealant.

spray wax to extend life.

Usually I don`t like to fill defects, but I am just testing out this wax.

Thanks, and again, further comments are welcome!

black03mach
03-24-2010, 10:24 AM
I know Pinnacle makes a carnauba spray wax, but IMO, it`s too costly when compared to others like DG AW. :sadpace:

Thanks! :)

compare liquid souveran spray wax to zymol field glaze and it takes the sting out of the pinnacle price ;) OCW is fine for any nuba, I used it over my zymol glasur and didnt have any issues

cjbigcog
03-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Blackfire has a product called Ivory Carnauba Spray/Cleaner Wax.

nosbusa1700
03-24-2010, 11:38 AM
From what I`ve read Sonus Carnauba Spritz is pretty high in Carnauba content, but it`s not 100%. It`s recommended to use on P21s, Pinnacle, and Zymol products.

I bought two 16oz bottles of it the other day from Sonus USA. Should be receiving Friday to use over Glasur, & BoS. If you use the Autopia code you get 15 % off.

Carnauba Wax Detailing Spray by Sonus (http://www.sonus-usa.com/son-210.html)

Another product that has Carnauba in it is Britemax S6 spray and shine. From some people I`ve talked with they have said it`s very similar to Zymol`s field glaze. Some of these same people use both Sonus and Britemax over their Zymol line. Including Vintage, and Royale and haven`t gone back to the field glaze.

As soon as my local Harley dealer gets this in, I`ll buy a bottle and see how it does.

Fwiw. Both Britemax and Sonus are highly recommended over on the detailingworld board.

baker
03-24-2010, 01:06 PM
I have and really like Jeffs Werkstatt Carnuba Jet. Its a spray on buff off product that is really easy to use and has a nice look.

pmcjr
03-24-2010, 02:28 PM
I recently purchase Meg`s UQD after having been reluctant as to how it would work with my Blitz carnuba wax. I, too, had heard that it wouldn`t bond well with the wax because of its synthetic formula. So far so good and the shine and slickness factor is excellent. I have always used a carnuba wax and the thought of stripping it off to use a sealant is just too upsetting. All my waxing efforts gone. I don`t know.

corrswitch
03-24-2010, 02:44 PM
I`ve only used OCW and Eagle1 was as u dry and both don`t have that much carnauba.

They both work well, (eagle1 not very durable).

Its marketing as most people mentioned. I`m not a chemist but I don`t think you`ll be able to create a spray wax our of pure carnauba without bending the laws of physics.

I don`t like wasting my collinite 845 but perhaps it could be mixed with something to be sprayed.

Might not work but just a wild and crazy idea.

If someone knows what can it be mixed with, could give it a try.

ALAN81
03-24-2010, 09:05 PM
DO DO makes a nice carnuba spray that I use inbetween waxing but its kind of expensive.

akimel
03-24-2010, 10:18 PM
52% carnauba? 79%? 100%? I have no idea what these percentages mean, nor do I understand why "more" carnauba necessarily equates to a better wax.

In any case, it`s been claimed in this thread that Optimum Car Wax (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-spray-wax.html) is 100% synthetic. This is incorrect. It`s a hybrid blend of synthetic and natural ingredients. I haven`t tried it yet, but this would be my first choice for a carnauba spray wax.

I`m not even sure that UQW is a 100% synthetic product, though I haven`t yet found any documentation on this point.

In any case, I wouldn`t hesitate about spraying OCW or UQW on top of a carnauba base. Of course it will bond.

black03mach
03-25-2010, 12:33 PM
DO DO makes a nice carnuba spray that I use inbetween waxing but its kind of expensive.

are you talking about red mist? thats a full on synthetic spray sealant.

as for UQW, i think its a sealant similair in formulation to nxt.