PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Wax

hkyplaya8904
03-23-2010, 06:05 PM
Well now that I think i got the Dawn wash question I have a set of wheels on my IS300 that i had painted black metallic because were curb rashed when i bought the car ? is should i use regular wax or a wheel wax or doesnt matter im thinking that opti-seal sounds like a good way to go?

Rtom
03-23-2010, 06:46 PM
I`ve used opti-seal on wheels with great results. Easy on and the coat it leaves makes washing brake dust off a lot easier

Wax and wheel wax work too, although I don`t see much of a difference.

Ive heard that Collinite 845 is a good option for its durability on wheels. Haven`t tried it personally though.

GS4_Fiend
03-23-2010, 07:43 PM
Does Collinite 845 make alloy wheels look darker?

Tony1
03-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Does Collinite 845 make alloy wheels look darker?

Insulator Wax in my experience is a bright wax and does not darken the surface which is why it`s great on light colors especially silver. I use it on my wheels.

Wheel Wax is terrible IMO. It`s a PITA to buff off. Not worth the effort when I can use Insulator Wax which is more durable, looks better, is slicker, and way easier to use.

Jesstzn
03-24-2010, 05:22 PM
I was suprised to see when Tire Rack was selling Wheel Wax that the info provided said it should be applied once a month ... Which told me it had lousy durability for a specific purpose wax.

GoCubsGo
03-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Wheel Wax is terrible IMO. It`s a PITA to buff off.

+1

I use FK1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax. Ease of use is night and day when compared to Wheel Wax and it worked wonders on my winter setup over the Midwest winter.

PS-If anyone wants an almost full jar of Wheel Wax and you`re in the Chicagoland area, shoot me a PM, it`s yours FOC. All you need to do is come by and pick it up (....and who wouldn`t want it after that glowing recommendation :lol).

Dan
03-24-2010, 06:48 PM
I really like Poor Boy`s wheel sealant. It doesn`t seem very durable, but it is a fantastic cleaner wax and it gives silver wheels some serious pop.

kkreit01
03-25-2010, 09:06 AM
I too was a sucker for WheelWax. Anything else I have on the shelf is much easier to use, and just as effective. I much prefer DG 101, or just a spritz of AW every month.

REVNU
03-25-2010, 10:01 AM
I use Opti-Seal. Works great and it`s very easy to apply.

I think these "wheel waxes" are nothing more than a marketing tactic to sell more products. Most of them are not any better than a regular wax or sealant. Some are actually worse, much worse.

Tony1
03-25-2010, 10:17 AM
I think these "wheel waxes" are nothing more than a marketing tactic to sell more products. Most of them are not any better than a regular wax or sealant. Some are actually worse, much worse.

I couldn`t agree more. Wheel specific waxes are a joke. If the wheel specific wax is so good than why not use it on the whole car? If your regular car wax/sealant is good than why not use it on the wheels? I think products like wheel waxes are for people that like to collect products. I`m into detailing not product collecting.

Accumulator
03-25-2010, 11:43 AM
Right :xyxthumbs Unless you`re talking about some "brake dust repellant" (which I`ve never tried), IMO LSP is LSP. I don`t even buy into the idea that wheels get so hot that "regular waxes" are unsuitable...at least not for street use.

I`m still using heavily layered KSG when the whole process is feasible, but if I can only do one or two coats the FK1000P works great. Before I got that I did OK with Collinite, and I still use that on the MPV`s winter wheels. I even used Souveran (and before that Malm`s) on the Jag`s wheels for years...no problem at all.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
03-25-2010, 12:05 PM
I couldn`t agree more. Wheel specific waxes are a joke. If the wheel specific wax is so good than why not use it on the whole car? If your regular car wax/sealant is good than why not use it on the wheels? I think products like wheel waxes are for people that like to collect products. I`m into detailing not product collecting.

I love it... I am almost always in agreement with you and your thought process... In fact, I have said the above blue bold font numerous times

Dan
03-25-2010, 12:35 PM

I used to agree with you until Autogeek ran a special on the PB wheel sealant. I was cheap, I was bored, so if fell into my order. I have 30+ waxes/sealants, yet this is the stuff I like most on my wheels, why?

-strong cleaner, I don`t have an other sealant that is a really good cleaner, I seem to get lots of tar/grime deposits and I don`t really like to clay my wheels, this gets the crap off easily

-ease of appication, this stuff glides on and off

-looks, amazing depth and gloss on wheels

And yes, I`m actually thinking of using it on paint!

Tony1
03-25-2010, 12:50 PM
I used to agree with you until Autogeek ran a special on the PB wheel sealant. I was cheap, I was bored, so if fell into my order. I have 30+ waxes/sealants, yet this is the stuff I like most on my wheels, why?

-strong cleaner, I don`t have an other sealant that is a really good cleaner, I seem to get lots of tar/grime deposits and I don`t really like to clay my wheels, this gets the crap off easily

-ease of appication, this stuff glides on and off

-looks, amazing depth and gloss on wheels

And yes, I`m actually thinking of using it on paint!

I don`t doubt it does what you say but it sounds just like a one step cleaner wax/sealant and there are lots of them out there. Poorboys actually makes some of them. Poorboy`s Polish with Carnuaba and Polish with Sealant.

If the Wheel Sealant is so good they should sell it as a Car Sealant and market it as a one step. Oh wait they already have a few of those :hm