PDA

View Full Version : help with powdercoated gloss black wheels!

dpe_g35
03-20-2010, 09:05 PM
hey,

i just picked up some used 19`` spoked wheels there are powdercoated gloss black, two of the wheels look really oxidized and hazy and not glossy at all, but the other two look perfect! , what can i use to bring back the gloss on the rims?

Jim D.
03-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Try a paint polish or cleaner wax in a test spot and see if it responds. You may need a dedicated polish.

Powdercoating tends to be pretty tough, but it could be someone used a strong wheel cleaner on two of them, or an aggressive polish, before realizing something wasn`t right.

dpe_g35
03-20-2010, 11:28 PM
yeah ill try that, the rims are just really hazy and not clear

Don
03-21-2010, 06:31 AM
Try a paint polish or cleaner wax in a test spot and see if it responds. You may need a dedicated polish.

Powdercoating tends to be pretty tough, but it could be someone used a strong wheel cleaner on two of them, or an aggressive polish, before realizing something wasn`t right.

It could be also that these two were from the front of the car and received a lot of baked on brake dust that was improperly removed or not removed at all. You might want to try Megs new rubbing compound or their Ultimate Compound if the cleaner wax doesn`t work.

If all else fails, you may want to look into getting them re-powder coated, I don`t believe that it`s that expensive.

dpe_g35
03-21-2010, 09:29 PM
yeah thanks ill try the new megs ultimate compound