PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Casca
03-20-2010, 04:33 PM
So there I was in Lowes buying a Makieta 10,000 rpm angle grinder and two wool bonnets. I had just seen a video on youtube where a guy used what looked like an angle grinder to make a cars horrible paint job look very nice. Of course, I am gonna have to give that a try!

After returning home, I started reading more into it. Googling for info and such, ending up here. Realized I had to return that angle grinder and spent a day trying to decide if I go with the Porter Cable 7424xp or the Makita 9227CX3. I decided to go with the rotary. My daily driver car is really gone on the paint job and based on my complete lack of experience or knowledge......I am under the impression that a rotary is more capable overall, but the DA is safer. I am not too worried about screwing up the paint job on my daily driver and likely will be getting rid of it soon anyway. So I think it`s perfect for practice.

I am not looking to make it a bussiness, mostly just for my own personal cars and I think I have spent as much as I really want to spend on the equipment to get things done, but am open to pointers on what I shoulda got instead....because maybe I`ll spend more.....it always seems to go that way. Anyway, here is what I have to work with/have on order:

Makita 9227CX3 kit from Amazon

Meguiar`s W64 Self-Centering 6.5-Inch Rotary Buffer Backing Plate

Meguiar`s W7006 6.5-Inch Soft Buff Foam Cutting Pad (red pad)-got three of these, my civic daily driver`s paint is very bad. Also, all pads are just flat.

Meguiar`s W8006 6.5-Inch Soft Buff Foam Polishing Pad (yellow pad-if that even means anything to anyone lol)- two of those

Meguiar`s W9006 6.5-Inch Soft Buff Foam Finishing Pad (kinda a tan pad?) -two of those

Meguiar`s 105 and 205 as well as Fine-Cut cleaner (#2?) and yellow wax (26?)

Meguiar`s Clay kit.

Meguiar`s Crystal car wash

I was planning to:

Wash the car, clay it, go over with 105 on the red pad, then #2 fine cut on the yellow pad or maybe another red pad? Then 205 with a yellow pad and then switch to the tan "finishing pad" with 205 again and then yellow wax by hand or maybe the other tan pad or maybe a crappy DA palm polisher I have.

I`ll continue reading and searching here, but just registered and wanted to say hi.

BigAl3
03-20-2010, 05:12 PM
:welcome

IMO, you should get a DA as well. there are plenty of good ones out to choose from (PC7424XP, G110V2, Griots) and one should be in every detailers/enthusiasts arsenal. not to mention.. with improving technology in pads/products, it`s making the DA more useful and effective in removing defects...

Casca
03-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I have a DA palm polisher (orbital sander?) I got from Walmart for $22, but I guess that is more like a toy. I`ll see how the rotary goes. I`d expect I`ll get more "holograms" or worse with the rotary, but the paint on my daily driver is going to require alot of correcting. From reading post about people trying to correct defects with DA`s, it seemed rotary was the clear path for such things, granted....not for a noob, but I am approaching this like how I fix our airplanes....how hard can it be?? Give me a hammer, I gotta calibrate the fuel control. I figure stepping to finer and finer pads/compound will make the holograms easier to get out and I am not above going by hand for the final bit of polishing.