PDA

View Full Version : Quick Wax Question (Urgent)

K1500 Cheyenne
03-19-2010, 11:42 PM
Well, I plan on finally detailing my truck today and have everything but the wax. I made the mistake of assuming Harbor Freight would have the Collinite 476S I wanted, but they didn`t, so now I`m in a bind. :aww:

I think I`ll order the 476S, but I`ll need something that`ll do a decent job of covering me for a week or two until I can get the 476S and apply it. What`s the most durable store-bought wax I can most likely get? I assume a paste wax would be best. I`ll be applying it with a 7424XP. Thanks a lot, guys!

longdx
03-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Pretty much any OTC wax will last at least 2 weeks. I have used TW Express Wax (Spray wax) as a winter booster and even that will last between two weeks to a month.

K1500 Cheyenne
03-20-2010, 12:07 AM
Well that`s good, then. I just didn`t want all of my hard work to go to waste because I didn`t make sure I had everything I needed. :o Would Meguiar`s Gold Class be the most preferable of the store-bought paste waxes?

nosbusa1700
03-20-2010, 12:30 AM
Paste is not always the most durable.

Here are some suggestions for now, and possible future OTC purchases. .

If you have a NAPA or Carquest near you see if they carry Duragloss. If they do you can buy DG105, though DG 101 & 111 work well. 105 has lasted a good 5-6 months for me before I got bored and changed to something else.

Also, some O`Reilly`s carry Meguiars #21 2.0 AND #26. These are very good OTC. #26`s a carnauba and the 21`s a sealant.

If you can`t find any of the above you can always buy Gold Glass, or NXT 2.0 from Walmart. I personally like NXT 2.0 better than Gold Class. It has fillers if you have light swirls or scratches.

Some Walmart`s are carrying Autoglym HD wax. I used this tonight. I liked the look. It`s a paste and last quite a while.

Not trying to confuse you, but there`s a lot of good OTC products. If you`re just looking for something until you 476 comes in just buy NXT 2.0. This comes in paste and liquid. Both work equally well. I have and used both. Liquid is a little easier to use. jmo

K1500 Cheyenne
03-20-2010, 12:50 AM
Well, if I can get something good I think I`ll just use that and let it be until I need to reapply the wax/sealant. My local NAPA (according to the website) doesn`t have DG 105, but it does have DG 101 and DG 111. O`Reilly only has Mirror Glaze #26 (That`s what you`re referring to, correct?) in immediate stock. Which of the three would be most preferable (this will be used on a vehicle with clear coat)?

Also, are there any downsides to using a liquid wax over a paste? I was leaning specifically towards Collinite 476S over 845 because it`s supposed to be a bit more durable from what I understand, but does that ring true with other brands? Thanks a lot!

nosbusa1700
03-20-2010, 01:55 AM
Well, if I can get something good I think I`ll just use that and let it be until I need to reapply the wax/sealant. My local NAPA (according to the website) doesn`t have DG 105, but it does have DG 101 and DG 111. O`Reilly only has Mirror Glaze #26 (That`s what you`re referring to, correct?) in immediate stock. Which of the three would be most preferable (this will be used on a vehicle with clear coat)?

Also, are there any downsides to using a liquid wax over a paste? I was leaning specifically towards Collinite 476S over 845 because it`s supposed to be a bit more durable from what I understand, but does that ring true with other brands? Thanks a lot!

Sometimes you just have to go in and see what they have. My local stores have much more products than their website says.

I haven`t seen many downsides to using a liquid. Paste waxes make you think you`re applying something more special.. imo lol I will say though some OTC products will stain your trim white. NXT will I believe. Not 100% sure though. Just be careful or tape the trim off.

I have more paste waxes than liquids, but liquids are a little easier to use. I just happen to enjoy applying paste waxes.

All of the higher end waxes I have they don`t make in liquid. This is jmo, but for example NXT 2.0 paste and NXT 2.0 liquid work & look the same to me. Liquid is a little easier to apply and remove, but both are real easy.

You can look at so many waxes both paste and liquid (same brand) and convince yourself one looks better than the other when in most cases it really doesn`t.

How much durability are you looking for? For example. I have all of the Collinite waxes, 915, 476, and 845). I used 845 as my go to wax for one of my vehicles for the winter. I didn`t wash/touch it during the winter.

It lasted from Oct-March before I stripped it and put on Swissvax Best of Show. It was still going strong. I don`t know many people on this site that can go 4 weeks, much less 5 months without reapplying or using something different.

To be honest. I use so many products and love messing with my vehicles the last thing I worry about is durability. Especially in the Spring and Summer.

If you`re just looking for durability any of the Collinite products will last quite a long time. In a test elsewhere 915 outlasted 476s. DG will last at least 6 months maybe more. Zaino Z2 is another long lasting product. Maybe the longest out there.

It`s kind of a take your pick type of deal, and how long do you plan to go between detailing with your vehicles. You may try out a lot of products before you find something you really like.. I know I did.. Now I have way too many products LOL

Fwiw. There`s a review section where you can go and read reviews on just about every wax/product on the market.

http://www.autopia.org/reviews/index.php

Sorry for the rambling.. I detailed two of my vehicles tonight. Plus I`ve been up going on 30 hrs. LOL I think I will go to sleep now.

Good luck.

K1500 Cheyenne
03-20-2010, 08:15 AM
Thanks a lot for the explanation! I`m just looking for whatever will last me the longest at this point (I don`t plan to make this a weekly thing). :o That being said, I`ll try to get DG 105 if my local NAPA actually has it, otherwise I`ll just get the DG 111 and hopefully it`ll last me a while. :thx

nosbusa1700
03-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks a lot for the explanation! I`m just looking for whatever will last me the longest at this point (I don`t plan to make this a weekly thing). :o That being said, I`ll try to get DG 105 if my local NAPA actually has it, otherwise I`ll just get the DG 111 and hopefully it`ll last me a while. :thx

No problem.

You`ll be fine with DG 111. I applied it last Summer before going to Florida on my SUV. I liked the look more than I thought I would. Plus it was going strong after 4 months.I then stripped it and used something else.

If you`re going by NAPA anyway look for these DG products also.

If they have some Fast clean and shine (DG 921) at NAPA pick that up as well. It`s formulated to remove dust and lift soil from your paint without scratching or removing your polish. Use it on light dustings.

DG Aquawax (951) is another good product. It`s a synthetic sealant spray with the gloss of a wax. You can use this as maintenance over your 111, or 105. Or use it after every wash.

Have fun.

Autogeek
03-20-2010, 12:24 PM

111 is not as easy to use or slick as 105, but it is more durable in my experience.

K1500 Cheyenne
03-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Well, I just finished claying my truck about thirty minutes ago and I`m about to start polishing. I ended up buying the DG 111 (last one in stock :heelclick), hopefully that will work quite well as far as longevity goes. Thanks a lot for the quick help, guys!

steelwind101
03-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Mothers FX!

Jim D.
03-20-2010, 11:03 PM
If you`re looking for a pure carnauba, I don`t think you can go wrong with Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba Wax paste.

FX is also nice as a mild cleaner wax that gives great gloss, and the new paste is much easier to use than some other similar products I`ve tried.

Pep Boys has both, and O`Reilly at least has the Pure Carnauba.