PDA

View Full Version : Can I keep this from spreading??

proman3998
03-18-2010, 02:26 PM
I know the clearcoat has failed and the bumper needs a repaint but is there any other way to keep this from spreading? Just by pushing on the bubbles they get larger. I was thinking of wet sanding, but Im assuming because the clearcoat has already failed that might not be good. Should I cut out the areas where it is spreading with a razor to keep it from delaminating paint when you push on it. I have waxed it and I plan on keeping it waxed. Any other tips??

Thanks in advance for any advice :2thumbs:

StadiumDetail
03-18-2010, 02:47 PM
I hope that isn`t stock clear because that would be the poorest excuse of a paint job ever. Looks to me like the paint wasn`t prepped well and the clear couldn`t bond properly, I say this because it isn`t like it failed in a section from damage but it is actually pealing off in a complete layer.

I hate to say it, but if the problem is indeed under the clear there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Waxing is only going to add UV protection and protection from the elements like acid rain it won`t halt any problem like this.

proman3998
03-18-2010, 03:14 PM
I hope that isn`t stock clear because that would be the poorest excuse of a paint job ever. Looks to me like the paint wasn`t prepped well and the clear couldn`t bond properly, I say this because it isn`t like it failed in a section from damage but it is actually pealing off in a complete layer.

I hate to say it, but if the problem is indeed under the clear there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Waxing is only going to add UV protection and protection from the elements like acid rain it won`t halt any problem like this.

Yea, it is a stock paint job, and yeah it looks like its just peeling and not bonding to the paint. Thanks for the response.

Rtom
03-18-2010, 03:53 PM
As StadiumDetail said, a heavy layer of wax is probably your best option. A lot of times it even helps the appearance, albeit only a bit.

Sanding won`t do much as it`s peeling and sanding any sort of clear coat failure is usually a bad idea.

proman3998
03-18-2010, 04:07 PM
As StadiumDetail said, a heavy layer of wax is probably your best option. A lot of times it even helps the appearance, albeit only a bit.

Sanding won`t do much as it`s peeling and sanding any sort of clear coat failure is usually a bad idea.

Thanks, thats what I figured. I will just keep it waxed and see what happens in terms of the spread.