PDA

View Full Version : nervous about first buffer try

swirlparanoid
03-17-2010, 04:42 PM
i am soon going to use my da that i bought some time ago. im very nervous about doing damage to my nice black f150 from seeing all the cars daily that have buffer trails on them and stuff. few questions how long should i spend on a panel for the first try. the porter cable came only with an orange pad that says light cut on it is that a good thing to start with? should the buffing also get out the water spots due to neglect from previous owner? thanks from a newbie just starting out:xyxthumbs

Dmurdock101
03-17-2010, 04:45 PM
You`ll be fine...My buffer trails were from a rotary....i actually used my DA to finish up with mine...but they weren`t a problme at all to get off....you`ll be fine....and I used a Orange pad with poor boys white diamond and then followed up with a white pad and white diamond and it worked great on a car that sat outside its whole life so it took all the oxidation out.

Even with the white pad and poor boys I got out water spots so that orange might be a little more aggressive...I would go with white but thats just me.....work from least aggressive to most

AeroCleanse
03-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Most buffer trails are from a rotary and a wool pad.

Accumulator
03-18-2010, 10:49 AM
swirlparanoid- Welcome to Autopia!

You`ll do fine with that PC, but it`s best to go about it right. And you might not get those waterspots out, sometimes they`re just too deep.

I`d start with a different pad; IME orange pads don`t leave a ready-to-wax finish. Maybe a LC tangerine or a white polishing pad.

Flashtime
03-18-2010, 10:57 AM
So you don`t get overwhelmed and frustrated, take your time on just one panel.

The tail gate is perfect. Make that perfect, take notes, then move on.

Read/watch as much as you can.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/autogeek-net/127479-smat-pack-everything-you-ever-wanted-know-about-meguiar-s-smat-products.html

http://www.autopia.org/forum/autogeek-net/127932-video-how-do-section-pass-when-machine-buffing.html