PDA

View Full Version : Attracting Dust like crazy...

woodranch
03-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Hi all...I am new to the forum and I have a black BMW M6.Why after I hand wax my car does it seem within minutes it is covered in dust.Do some waxes attract more dust then others? If that is the case, which is the best wax to use to keep away the dust.The problem is once you have dust on the car you cant wipe it off or you have major swirls.Any thought or advice would be truly appreciated!

unleashedfury
03-16-2010, 07:55 PM
where is your waxing enviroment?

and secondly what are you using for media. Some dust you speak of may be simply lint and buildup thats on your application media. MF or pad?

If you doing you wax in your garage it may just need a good housecleaning. Or if your in a area with high pollen content in the air. it could be pollen.

I can`t really say I know of any paste waxes that will not attract dust when its just applied kinda like those annoying fruit flies when you use a carnuba wax.

David Fermani
03-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Waxes usually have oils. Dust clings to oil.

ocd dave
03-16-2010, 08:20 PM
kinda like those annoying fruit flies when you use a carnuba wax.

LOL i thought i was the only one.

everyone that i talked to about this just looked at me like i grew another head

:rofl

strauss
03-16-2010, 09:09 PM
I get the same thing when I wax my car, but I don`t think it`s the wax that attracts the dust. When you wipe the wax away with a microfiber towel, you end up creating a tiny bit of static electricity. I feel the dust is attracted due to the removal of the wax, not the wax itself.

willtothewong
03-16-2010, 09:35 PM
I get the same thing when I wax my car, but I don`t think it`s the wax that attracts the dust. When you wipe the wax away with a microfiber towel, you end up creating a tiny bit of static electricity. I feel the dust is attracted due to the removal of the wax, not the wax itself.

oh that is a good point.

i think many people use fk425 because it has that anti-static thingy in it. I am about to order a gallon of it, so i hope people are correct hehe

nosbusa1700
03-17-2010, 09:01 PM
FK425, or OID. There are many others out there, but you can get these pretty reasonable.

Fwiw. I ended up using a sealant last spring because the pollen and dust was so bad. This took care of most of my problem. Around June, I went back with a Carnauba.

Dan
03-18-2010, 08:25 AM
FK425, or OID. There are many others out there, but you can get these pretty reasonable.

Fwiw. I ended up using a sealant last spring because the pollen and dust was so bad. This took care of most of my problem. Around June, I went back with a Carnauba.

Spot on. Most waxes, and lots of sealants have oils.

UPGP and Optiseal are your best bet for protection and not attracting dust.

For a QD, FK425 (I think it attracts less dust than OID, but in my book OID looks better).

Navet176
03-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Anti static strips were popular on muscle cars in the `70s. I don`t know if they would still work with all the plastic and such of todays cars but they are cheap enough to try. Plus they look nice if done right.

StadiumDetail
03-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Athough all the above responses are 100% correct, I`ve noticed a HUGE difference recently in how much dust is on my car. With all the sand, salt, and debris left on the roads from winter and the winds picking up there is a lot of extra crap in the air. So if this is a recent issue it may just be envrionmental.

Mike_Phillips
03-18-2010, 03:26 PM
I`ve tested a lot of waxes side by side and this means chemically stripping an entire horizontal surface, (vertical panels are much more difficult to monitor results on), like a hood and then marking off very specific areas for the products to be tested.

BESIDES the results of the products, the thing I always noticed was that the sections where a product was applied, product = wax, synthetic paint sealant, hybrid, etc., ALWAYS accumulate more dust than the bare naked paint that was chemically stripped and left un-coated with anything. Always.

So the only way you would know if ANY product was more of a dust magnet than another product would be to chemically strip your car`s hood, then ONLY apply the products you want to test to dedicated sections, usually about a foot squared or so and tape these off with painter`s tape before applying the products so you have very strong demarcation lines between treated and un-treated areas.

Also, you can`t take the static charge out of all the dust in the air, so even if you can find an anti-static wax or paint sealant, or hybrid, the paint itself will have it`s own negative charge and the dust in the air will have it`s own charge.

On top of all that, as someone mentioned, the act of wiping or rubbing a product off will tend to increase the static charge on the surface.

You also can`t test one product for dust accumulation or test one product against another product unless you start with a control and then only apply the test products to specific, defined areas.

If you apply wax to your entire car or truck and then see dust accumulate, how would you know if the accumulation was stronger or less than another product without some type of control or testing different products on for lack of a better word, naked paint?

The answer is you can`t...

Not waxing your car or not applying a paint sealant isn`t a good answer either because a quality wax and/or paint sealant will provide both protection and beauty.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif