PDA

View Full Version : How many pads to purchase

kb2ehj
03-16-2010, 08:19 AM
Good morning folks.

I`m starting to put together some buffing supplies and curious how many pads you use per car.

Background

Experience Level: Newbie

Tools: (1) PC7424xp & (1) PC7424

Current Pads: 1 Orange 1 White 1 Black 1 Red

I got the pads as part of a `kit` when I purchased the XP last fall. A co-worker has donated his Honda Accord for me to `practice` on but before I take him up on his offer I want to have enough supplies on hand so that I don`t have to stop once I get started.

How many pads do you go through on your average sedan with average swirls/light scratches? I know a specific number can not be determined as every car is different. I`m not looking to turn a DD into a Concourse car just make the DD look good.

I`m taking this information to make my first initial pad purchase. (I`m sure I`ll purchase more as time goes by) Another variable is I`ll be cleaning the pads manually as the bucket style cleaners are still a little out of my price range.

Thanks for assistance.

Mark

a_guerrajr
03-16-2010, 08:44 AM
I get at least 2 of each. Especially Yellow/Orange/White since they do most of the work. Blue/Gray/Red are usually used less or not as hard since they are LSP applicators.

kb2ehj
03-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Thank you a_guerrajr.

LSP I suspect I`d put on by hand anyway. An Accord isn`t all that big of a vehicle so I don`t see the need to put wax on with a DA.

I was thinking the number would be higher.

Time to sit back and see what others recommend.

David Fermani
03-16-2010, 08:53 AM
I`d get 6 LC Orange and 3 whites when using a DA. Make sure to get the flat ones.

a_guerrajr
03-16-2010, 09:07 AM
yea i do LSP by hand too, i like to not risk it with machine.

that`s at least of course. if you are doing multiple vehicles, i`d stock up 4.

a_guerrajr
03-16-2010, 09:08 AM
I`d get 6 LC Orange and 3 whites when using a DA. Make sure to get the flat ones.

why not the CCS ones?

David Fermani
03-16-2010, 09:29 AM
Because I feel the CCS "pockets" prohibit full contact(which is essential) to the surface. The lesser contact, the lesser the corection. Great for rotary, not so great with a DA. Does this make sence?

resek
03-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Because I feel the CCS "pockets" prohibit full contact(which is essential) to the surface. The lesser contact, the lesser the corection. Great for rotary, not so great with a DA. Does this make sence?

+2

I have purchased those CCS, and i feel like David about the little "pocket".

Now, i work with Uber pads from detailersdomain( 5xorange/5xgreen/5xblue). Those are flat pads and are better than the CCS IMO.

You can look for LC flat pads from autogeek. Tangerine and Cya seem to be very good pads also.

:ca

kb2ehj
03-18-2010, 10:36 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Mark

dmw2692004
03-18-2010, 11:58 PM

6?! I have never used more than 4. 4 Being the most extreme for really large vehicles. :buffing: