PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To Learn Paint Repair

motorsleuth
03-12-2010, 08:08 AM
I am interested in taking up paint repair to add to my reconditioning services. I`ve looked at a few schools, and I`ve looked at some DVD training videos. What do you recommend as far as training, what is the most effective and best bang for your buck? What are the recommended schools for this type of training? I live in MN but am willing to travel to get trained...

Also, as far as headlight restoration goes, do you really need special training for this, or do you just need a good kit and some practice? And, what do you recommend as the best kit for this add on?

Thanks for the advice!

tonyS
03-12-2010, 09:24 AM
I would just say don`t go to The Ding King. As far a headlight restoration just learn it yourself it`s not that hard. Do you have time to just take a couple classes at a technical school? It`s probably cheaper.

JonP
03-12-2010, 07:53 PM
The best way to learn paint repair is to go to a school and get proper training on it or work at a paint shop part time and get some hands on training. For headlight restoration, just research about it, get some headlights and practice until you feel comfortable in actually charging people for the service. Headlight restoration is pretty easy to learn. I learned it all on my own as well as paint repair.

rdorman
03-12-2010, 08:58 PM
^+1 best way to learn is from someone who knows how to do it and practice. Work on your cars or willing donors until your get it. Heck, go to a junk yard. They will let you practice all day long.

motorsleuth
03-13-2010, 07:10 AM
That`s the problem. Is it better to get hands on instruction from a school for paint repair, or do I buy a kit and learn myself? Its a heck of a lot cheaper to buy a kit and I can find a few videos to teach me, but how hard is it to learn to do it correctly? I`ve got spots on my own car that need fixing that I can practice on, and there are a few local junkyards too. I`ve done paint touchups using a touchup bottle and brush, but when you`re talking airbrush, I start getting a tad nervous...

What is a good headlight restoration kit to buy? I`ve used a few, but I like the ones thatt allow you to basically buff the headlight and use polish protectant to seal it.