PDA

View Full Version : Best Protection Sealants?

Pages : [1] 2 3

MB_Forever
03-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Hi everyone,

I am looking into trying out new synthetic sealants and I wanted to know which brand/model of sealant provides the most protection. I`m not looking for best "look" or best "gloss", I`m mainly interested in best layer of protection and its longetivity/durability. Where I live, things get dusty/sandy quick and after a while, it starts getting to the car`s paint.

Thanks in advance :xyxthumbs

termigator
03-11-2010, 06:01 PM
I would go with Zaino. Either Z2Pro or Z5Pro, depending on the color of your vehicle.

MB_Forever
03-11-2010, 06:08 PM
I would go with Zaino. Either Z2Pro or Z5Pro, depending on the color of your vehicle.

My car is a metallic black Mercedes E-Class and it just loves getting dirty even if it`s not moving :wall

I used to use Menzerna FMJ but now it is being re-branded and I figured to ask some of the experts what they think is best sealant (strictly in terms of protection). I was looking into some of these products:

- Menzerna Power Lock

- Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0

- Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection With Polycharger

JohnKleven
03-11-2010, 06:32 PM
My car is a metallic black Mercedes E-Class and it just loves getting dirty even if it`s not moving :wall

I used to use Menzerna FMJ but now it is being re-branded and I figured to ask some of the experts what they think is best sealant (strictly in terms of protection). I was looking into some of these products:

- Menzerna Power Lock

I really like FMJ a lot, but it offers less durability than most organic waxes. Collinite 915 is a great carnauba that lasts a long time, and it`s cheap.

John

imported_spielnicht
03-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Duragloss TTP 105 has never failed me, lasting easily 7 months with the car beading like crazy. In the spring/summer I do top it off with P21S, AG HD going forward. But the cold months, it`s on its own. It`s super easy to apply.

I`ve used the Four Star UPP before, but doesn`t come close to DG TTP in terms of durability. The Wolfgang is too expensive, I question how much better is it over DG.

2005GTPinMD
03-11-2010, 08:47 PM
I am in a similar situation...looking for an FMJ replacement. From what I have read FK 1000P is supposed to be very very durable. Some people on here have posted saying it has 6 months durability. I am going to be using that on my car.

termigator
03-11-2010, 08:48 PM

- Menzerna Power Lock

I have FMJ too. I love the look, but durability is not it`s strong point. One of my cars is also an E-Class. Color is dark gray metallic. The best look I got on it was three coats of Z5 and one coat of Z2Pro. Durability was killer too.

craigdt
03-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Let me just say that while I love Z2 and enjoy its durability, it is not a very good protecting sealant.

845 offers longevity and protection, and Megs #16 is the same.

dcrc
03-11-2010, 10:00 PM
I would go for UPP or UPGP

levander
03-12-2010, 01:41 AM
I just spent a bunch of time deciding on protectants for myself, mainly using this forum. The most common answers you come across are Klasse and Zaino. Then, you look a little further and see where people say Werkstatt products are basically a more modern version of Klasse products. And, Duragloss is basically the same thing as Zaino products, only its cheaper and sparingly available OTC.

But, as you read this forum more and more, your always noticing thing you didn`t notice before. The Ultimate brand products are something I`ve been noticing more often as I read.

The basic difference between Klasse/Werkstatt and Zaino/Duragloss seems to be looks. The former giving a "stiffy" more "plasticy" look. The latter giving a "deeper", "wetter" look. From the descriptions I read, it was clear to me I`d prefer Zaino/Duragloss, so my description of the Klasse/Werkstatt looks may not be a very sympathetic description. Stiff and plasticy is just my interpretation of what people were saying.

And, that`s ignoring the waxes some people in this thread is talking about. The original post seems to be asking about sealants.

imported_fishbonezken
03-12-2010, 07:20 AM
If you do not have water spotting issues in your area, DG105 TTP is a strong performing, value for money product.

Rez90
03-12-2010, 07:31 AM
Rejex for durability. it lasts a LONG time.

loco
03-12-2010, 09:51 AM
I agree that Zaino does not protect as well as some other sealants. I have had trouble with water spotting when using Zaino. It does bead forever, though. So, if you aren`t worried about water spots, it`s a good choice.

Right now, I`m using FK1000P. It has lasted nicely through this winter and protects very well against spotting. Which is a big deal for me with a black car. It also seems to create a barrier which causes dirt to release from the paint very easily.

Accumulator
03-12-2010, 12:19 PM
IME it depends on whether you`ll be layering or not.

KSG has outlasted/outprotected *everything* else I`ve ever tried, but only when I do ~six layers. Nasty bird-bombs and bugs can sit on it for ages with no etching/etc.

If you`re only gonna do one or two layers then FK1000P is very good. Layering it can be tricky because of solvent-action, but helps when it goes OK.

For just one layer, Collinite 476S might be a wax but it protects better than anything else I`ve tried.

UPP was mentioned; I use it for the looks and slickness on my S8, but it doesn`t last long for me and it provides minimal protection against bugs and birds...far less protection than any of the other LSPs I use, including #16 and 845.

MB_Forever
03-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Thank you guys so much for all your replies, I really appreciate your help....

However, I think I am a little more undecided now than I was before I posted.... LOL :) comes with the territory with questions like mine :)

After a lot of reading on a few forums, I think I narrowed it down to the following choices:

- Klasse High Gloss Paint Sealant

- Ultima Paint Guard Plus Sealant

I usually re-apply new layer of sealant once a month, would this be a problem when using any of the above products or can I re-apply as often as I want?

I`m surprised nobody commented on the new Menzerna Power Lock yet?