PDA

View Full Version : is PC really worth it?

Pages : [1] 2

Amnesty
12-29-2005, 02:11 AM
Exactly that? Does a PC make that much more a difference? I already have some little orbital buffer, but it`s not as fast as the PC and it doesn`t have any kind of other pads.

Miami_Sunset
12-29-2005, 03:07 AM
:eat: Of course a PC is worth every penny. There inst any other machine i would prefer. it is versatile enough to apply waxes, polishes remove scratches and sand. a PC is IMPERATIVE to detailing enthusiats & a must have for Rookies that want to save their cars finish. :detective
the PC is typically a Link to become ROTARY worthy. (Still you need to practice more ) :fear: A PC is a.k.a idiot Proof. :bigups

Miami_Sunset
12-29-2005, 03:10 AM
:beer: I need to get some Sleep. :online2lo

Brenton
12-29-2005, 06:29 AM
Amnesty, it depends what you want to do. If you don`t want to spend a day working on your car every season, skip it. If you want to have the cleanest, wetest paint possible without a yearly $200 detail at a local shop, you need it.

jaybs02
12-29-2005, 08:13 AM
Exactly that? Does a PC make that much more a difference? I already have some little orbital buffer, but it`s not as fast as the PC and it doesn`t have any kind of other pads.
I think that you have answered your own question. The PC has more power and a greater option of pads, which means you can do more with it.
I asked the same question before I got mine as well, but now that I have it, I see that there truely is a difference.

It is pretty much the next step that someone will take, you start out by hand, then you wanted more so you moved to the buffer, then you move to a PC until you want more, then you move again onto a rotary or a Cyclo.

If you like the way your car looks when using your buffer you will love the results that you get with a PC, I know I did.

Good luck and Happy Holidays
"J"

norahcrv
12-29-2005, 09:36 AM
I fought the PC idea for quite a while, saying I could do just as good a job on MY cars by hand - I was WRONG!!:no: The PC makes is it so much easier & faster & does a much better job, both polishing & applying very thin layers of product! :punk:
I will warn you however, that the PC is just the beginning of the investment :eek:

sharpie
12-29-2005, 09:43 AM
I fought the PC idea for quite a while, saying I could do just as good a job on MY cars by hand - I was WRONG!!:no: The PC makes is it so much easier & faster & does a much better job, both polishing & applying very thin layers of product! :punk:
I will warn you however, that the PC is just the beginning of the investment :eek:

Yes.....very true, but youll love it :drunk:

NavArch
12-29-2005, 11:19 AM
A year or so ago, I bought one of the $20 WalMart ROBs. Incredible limitations on bonnet type/quality and only two speeds - ON & OFF. UPS says my PC 7424 and pad kit should be here from ProperAutoCare today. UPS also says my order of Meg`s #83 should arrive tomorrow. :rolleyes: As a true penny-pincher, I tried all sorts of work-arounds to avoid having to shell out the cash for the PC, but finally gave in. With it, I`ll be able to dial in the appropriate combination of pad aggressiveness, liquid product, and rotational speed. Control of all the variables appears to be a key ingredient in achieving the finish we all seem to seek.

Don
12-30-2005, 05:35 AM

I think you mean obsession ;)

maximv1
12-30-2005, 06:36 AM
i have used a rotary for 12 years before i got a pc this year. i found i was reluctant at first but now i enjoy using it. i only get the rotary out for the real hard scratches, oxidization, etc. then i use the pc to finish everything off with no holograms. i feel they are both needed for a good detail shop. for a personal vehicle, you should be happy with the results.

AlfaEric
12-30-2005, 10:56 AM
As many have mentioned, it really depends on your needs. I had an old Craftsman RO buffer that served me well for many years (of course back then I would simply polish then wax - no sealants, chemical cleaners, etc...). The backing plate eventually came unglued to the pad and I needed to replace it. I was surprised at the price difference between the PC and many other RO buffers. What surprised me more was how much better of a job the PC did over my old buffer. It removed many scratches faster and wasted less product. The things it didn`t do as well as my old buffer was removing wax and other products. I have a mf bonnet that I use but the small pad size (compared to my old buffer) just takes a while to cover an entire car. It`s also a lot heavier than my old buffer. If I apply the right amount of product in the proper climate conditions, I know the products will wipe right off with a MF towel. Unfortunately, I screw up and some products get stubborn. A bonnet on a buffer sometimes saves me a lot of energy.

I don`t use the PC as much as I used my old buffer, but I think since it does such a good job, I don`t need to use it as often. I`m not a perfectionist but this site is pushing me closer... :wacko: When I first bought it, I thought I had completely wasted my money. This thought went away when I bought my truck and spent a day working on its scratches. It takes longer to setup and cleanup since you have to use multiple pads (vs. simply throwing a few bonnets in the washing machine after I was done with my old buffer). If I`m only going to detail one car, I often debate on using it but now I just invite a friend over to detail one of their cars at the same time and I don`t mind the additional setup/cleanup time knowing 2 cars were done plus I can try some of their favorite products and they will frequently help with the cleanup.

---Eric

rabbi
12-30-2005, 05:05 PM
I too am trying to decide if I want/need one. I`ll say this though, if I had read the thread about the 70 dollar PC at Lowes in WI. I`d probably have by now.I can`t believe I missed that thread! :mad:

97F1504x4
01-23-2006, 07:25 PM
:eat: Of course a PC is worth every penny. There inst any other machine i would prefer. it is versatile enough to apply waxes, polishes remove scratches and sand. a PC is IMPERATIVE to detailing enthusiats & a must have for Rookies that want to save their cars finish. :detective
the PC is typically a Link to become ROTARY worthy. (Still you need to practice more ) :fear: A PC is a.k.a idiot Proof. :bigups

I could not agree more. One of the best detail pieces of equpiment i have ever purchased.

Richard

joe.p
01-23-2006, 08:13 PM
A PC is worth every Penny.. You can pay some hack to do the job or you can detail your own car and do it right..

Coastal Eddie
01-23-2006, 09:28 PM
I too am trying to decide if I want/need one. I`ll say this though, if I had read the thread about the 70 dollar PC at Lowes in WI. I`d probably have by now.I can`t believe I missed that thread! :mad:

I ran to Lowes out here and asked them about the "$70 PC", and they called their manager over to inform me that it wasn`t happening anywhere. :mad: