PDA

View Full Version : LC Flat Orange Pad problems

audi2.7t
03-11-2010, 03:27 PM
This is my first post here. I`ve been wandering around here for a while though, and just decided to join. Anyways, with my problem.....

It was nice this weekend and i decided to give my 01 A6 a nice detail. I ordered a brand new LC Flat orange pad, knowing the clear on the car would be pretty hard. Boy, was I surprised. The orange pad + SIP barely touched the clear. Not having anything more aggressive, I proceeded to do the rest of the car, getting about 50% correction (pretty poor for orange + SIP it seems).

After finishing, I removed my pad from the porter cable and there was a brown spot on the back of the velcro, almost as if it was burnt. Am i doing something wrong that would make this happen? Also, there is a permanent indent on the face of the pad right in the middle (directly where the burn mark is, but the opposite side). I was wondering if this was normal, or am i doing something wrong?

Finally, is it normal that orange + SIP get that poor of a correction? I know i`m using a PC and its a hard clear, but i`ve seen some pretty impressive things on here with the same combination.

thanks,

e

Accumulator
03-11-2010, 05:09 PM
audi2.7T- Welcome to Autopia!

If you`re using a pad larger than 4", then your experience isn`t unusual. The hard Audi clear (I have both an `00 and an `01) requires 4" pads for timely correction via pc.

The stain on the back of your pad might be from polish working its way through or some other result from having applied pressure. I wonder how often you stopped and thoroughly cleaned the pad out too. I don`t think it`s anything to worry about.

IME (and I`ve done pretty much correction on Audis over the years), the orange/SIP combo isn`t really aggressive enough. Even M105 can take numerous tries depending on how severe the marring is.

Until recently, the only way for me to do a really good correction on Audis was to use a rotary. Now, with M105, it can be done via RO polishers. But with a PC it`s still gonna take a long, long time. Or at least it does for me.

vtec92civic
03-11-2010, 06:03 PM
we talking o0ld pc or pcxp?

ocd dave
03-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Along with cleaning the pads often, try switching out a fresh pad every so often (every 3-4 panels) if you have multiple pads.

Kinda off topic, but i just got in some LC flat pads for a change of pace, does anyone notice a faster rotation in the flat pads vs. the CCS pads or am i just crazy?

audi2.7t
03-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Its just an older pc.

But thanks for the comments guys. I figured that my combo just wasnt aggressive enough for the hard clear. As far as cleaning the pads, i brushed then and blew them out with air every other time i applied new product to the pad. I`ll just have to order some more detailing supplies so i can get it right :grinno:

Accumulator
03-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Its just an older pc.. I figured that my combo just wasnt aggressive enough for the hard clear.. I`ll just have to order some more detailing supplies so i can get it right ...

My older PCs will do the job with aggressive 4" pads and M105/etc. but as I said, it sure takes a long time.

I`d look into the Flex 3401. Heh heh, they oughta come as standard equipment with Audis :D

dschribs
03-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Just wondering, did you have the speed pegged at 6?

That was my problem with I first started with the PC. I was always hestitant to crank it up. Now I don`t use anything but the 6 setting for correction.

audi2.7t
03-12-2010, 11:30 AM
yeah i use speed 6. i learned after doing my mom`s M35 that speed 5 just doesnt cut it.

Accumulator--yes, i actually have been looking into the flex. I hear good things, its just I`m in college and strapped for some funds at the current. But they should come with audis, I agree. My father is about to get a new A6 and I can only image how much fun i`ll have buffing that thing in a year or so lol.

Accumulator
03-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Accumulator--yes, i actually have been looking into the flex. I hear good things, its just I`m in college and strapped for some funds at the current. But they should come with audis, I agree. My father is about to get a new A6 and I can only image how much fun i`ll have buffing that thing in a year or so lol.

Yeah, once my late father switched to Audis I was working a lot harder :o

Maybe you could pick up a Flex as a present some time.