PDA

View Full Version : Looking To Polish Windshield Need Some Advice

LICamaro85
03-10-2010, 01:24 AM
I was searching to see if the normal Cerium Oxide powders/liquids will take out those tiny tiny pit marks in the windshield from driving on the highway. Every where I read they just mention scratches and scuffs so can I remove these pit marks from the windshield so I can actually see when I am driving into the sun or is it a lost cause.

Also I can not make up my mind if I should use a 2inch felt piece in a die grinder or a drill or use a 4inch LC glass cutting pad with a rotary??

One more question is there a difference between the Cerium Oxide powder that you mix with water and the liquid that AG sells with the kits?

The powder appears to be cheaper and I would think is more concentrated so will the powder work better/faster?

Thanks,

- LI 85

automedix
03-10-2010, 06:37 AM
There is definately a difference. If you have pits all over I would try the AG with a glass cleaning pad on a DA polisher. That stuff will pull out /polish all the rail dust and brake pieces that are embedded in your windshield. The Cerium Oxide is designed to be used with a high speed rotary and water. It is meant to remove scratches, but if used incorrectly, will distort your windshield due to heat and friction. In order for the CO to work, the w/s needs to be heated up with the rotary to either 160F or 180F for a w/s(I would have to consult my paperwork for sure) Tempered side window glass is a different temp.

I would definately try the AG first. The CO process is EXTREMELY messy, but it does work if done correctly. I would only use for wiper or razor scratches.

The only reason that I know anything about this service is because, I sold it to 3 of my customers, I have since stopped selling due to the cleanup factor. It takes longer to cleanup corrrectly than to actually perform the scratch removal.

Hope this helps. PM me if you need further assistance.

LICamaro85
03-10-2010, 01:14 PM
These pit marks are not on top of the windshield they are actually pit marks where glass has to be removed to make it all level again. I think of it as just like paint your not going to "pull" a scratch out you have to remove the clear around it to make it level again. Maybe I misunderstood you or are missing something but that`s how I think of it.

- LI 85

IkeRay
03-11-2010, 12:15 AM
These pit marks are not on top of the windshield they are actually pit marks where glass has to be removed to make it all level again. I think of it as just like paint your not going to "pull" a scratch out you have to remove the clear around it to make it level again. Maybe I misunderstood you or are missing something but that`s how I think of it.

- LI 85

if it`s so bad that it`s impeding vision while driving, you might want to contact insurance and see what it would take to get a new windshield. sorry, I don`t have an input on the cerium oxide question...

LICamaro85
03-11-2010, 01:12 AM
Why does everyone assume that people have glass coverage. It would cost me whatever the retail is plus to install it unless I do it myself, which is the reason why I would rather just polish it out the best I can and leave it. Its not like I can`t see when I am driving into the sun but all the pits reallt show up and are extremely annoying when the sun hits it.

So No one has EVER polished their windshield before to get pits out of it???

levander
03-11-2010, 02:44 AM
My Mom`s got the same problem with little pits all over her windshield from driving on the highway so much. I`d love it if somebody could fill in more info.

LICamaro85
03-15-2010, 05:29 PM
So has anyone else ever did this to their windshield.

If the CO can get scratch marks out it should be able to remove the pits? Right?

I would think that a scratch would be deeper than these pit marks but maybe I am mistaken?

So can anyone point me in the right direction of a real good CO product and felt pad or any type of windshield cutting/polishing pad

subygirl
03-16-2010, 09:52 AM
So has anyone else ever did this to their windshield.

If the CO can get scratch marks out it should be able to remove the pits? Right?

I would think that a scratch would be deeper than these pit marks but maybe I am mistaken?

So can anyone point me in the right direction of a real good CO product and felt pad or any type of windshield cutting/polishing pad

Wiper scratches and etchings are way more shallow than the pit marks you are talking about. The majority of the scratches these types of kits fix cannot be felt by your finger nail. The basic rule of thumb when fixing windshields is: if it can be felt/caught by your fingernail, it cannot be removed without further damaging the windshield.

04v8s4
03-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Go get glass insurance....

WaxManRonnie
03-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Never polished a windshield. But I have

Bar Keepers Friend on the shelf. Heard that was

good. Thinking of trying it.

LICamaro85
03-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Again with the glass coverage, unless you want to pay the extra couple thousand for me to get glass coverage it is out of the question. I already pay close to 1000 a month for insurance.

I found a nice piece of glass with only 12,000 miles on it so I am putting that in this weekend.

- LI 85

WaxManRonnie
03-18-2010, 02:01 PM
$1000 a month?? For how many cars?