PDA

View Full Version : How to best restore faded white paint on 2004 Honda Civic...using what I`ve got?

FLAteam
03-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Hi, I`m trying to get some advice on how to use some of my products in order to restore the shine to a white 2004 Honda Civic. The car probably only had a wash once every year and it looks like there isn`t much of a clear coat at all. Its a very dull white but its not peeling (I wish I had a photo...maybe I can get one later). Unfortunately, I don`t have orbital buffers, DAs, or anything like that...just my hands. I know for a job like this its preferable to have heavy equipment but I can`t seem to justify it (especially on something like a Civic!) but its sort of like a gift to a friend.

Here`s a list of stuff I have currently:

Collinite 476s

Dawn dish detergent (blue)

Griot`s Garage Paint Cleaning Clay

Klasse All-in-one

Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo

Meguiars Detailing Clay (Aggressive)

Meguiars NXT Tech Wax (1.0, liquid)

Meguiars Swirl Remover 2.0 (#9)

Meguiars Scratch-X 2.0

Meguiars Ultimate Compound

Mothers Reflections Premium Polish

Mothers Reflections Top Coat

Mothers FX Synwax

Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax

Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish

Optimum No Rinse

Optimum Car Wax (4 oz sample)

Pinnacle Liquid Souveran (2 oz sample x 2)

Werkstat Prime Strong (in the mail)

Grit Guard x 2

Cobra Guzzler HD x 2

Meguiars Supreme Shine Microfiber x 3

Meguiars Even Coat Microfiber applicator x 2

Meguairs Microfiber wash mitt

Lots of Microfiber towels and foam applicators

My current plan is:

Wash (Megs GC Shampoo + 1 oz ONR)

Clay (Megs Aggressive Clay)

Polish selected areas (Megs Scratch-X)

Polish selected areas (Megs Ultimate Compound if Scratch-X doesn`t do anything)

Polish+fill selected areas(Megs #9 Swirl Remover 2.0) select areas

Sealant (KAIO or Werkstat Prime Strong)

LSP (Collinite 476s or Liquid Souveran or Optimum Car Wax)

Since you guys are the experts, please help me revise my plan! I plan on doing a test spot first but I`d really like to get it right the first time. I don`t mind picking up a bottle of something OTC either.

Thanks in advance!

craigdt
03-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Well if you really are trying to polish the whole car by hand, you will have your work cut out for you, even on soft Honda paint.

Really, I think your best approach is a good wash, clay, then sealant. You cleaner wax might mess with the proper bonding of the sealant. Not to mention, if you properly clay the vehicle first, you really shouldnt need the cleaner wax.

This is what I would do:

Megs Gold Class

Megs Clay

Mothers FX Synwax

Now, thats not quite as impressive as a list as yours, but if you actually try to remove defects/swirls/oxidization by hand, You will be frustrated and exhausted.

Id be willing to bet money that a simply wash/clay/sealant will do wonders for the paint.

Best wishes

swan
03-10-2010, 09:47 AM
From your description it sounds like the paint is oxidized.

My opinion would be to reach for the Megs UC when it comes in first. If it is oxidized and you are really going to try by hand I say good luck. I wouldn`t do it. My arms just hurt thinking about it. :lol

Autogeek
03-10-2010, 01:34 PM
If it`s Taffeta White, I believe it is single stage paint.

I would use Ultimate Compound followed by #9, then apply your wax. Don`t use a paint cleaner after Ultimate Compound, use a fine polish like #9. A paint cleaner will do pretty much nothing.

Matt

ScheerResist
03-10-2010, 02:55 PM
If it`s Taffeta White, I believe it is single stage paint.

I would use Ultimate Compound followed by #9, then apply your wax. Don`t use a paint cleaner after Ultimate Compound, use a fine polish like #9. A paint cleaner will do pretty much nothing.

Matt

I have a 2005 white[taffeta] Honda Accord. From what I`ve seen it doesn`t appear to be a single stage... How could I tell for sure?

Autogeek
03-10-2010, 04:23 PM
For your 2005, check out this TSB.

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A05-001.PDF

This confirms that it is single stage.

For the OP`s Civic in Taffeta white, check out this link (TSB for 2004 paint codes)

2004 Honda Paint Codes 9-23-2003 (03-065).pdf (http://www.mediafire.com/?bouyytlexpd)

Also confirms that the `04 Civic in Taffeta white is single stage.

Matt

jDizzle
03-10-2010, 05:41 PM
ive seen 7th generation (2001-2005) honda cicivc white paint brought up on here a few times, and checked the paint code myself, and it is indeed single stage.. as someone stated above^ ^ ^ for just oxidation. meguiars color X works miracles. ive posted a few pictures of the results on here. like these

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/jdizzle-2009/P1010199.jpg

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/jdizzle-2009/P1010202.jpg

id clay, then use the color x, n see how it looks from there.. and id use the mothers syn wax, stay away from tech wax 1.0 it lasts like a week, if that

mini1
03-10-2010, 06:33 PM
You are going to need some type of a machine to have any luck with getting the paint back looking good. Hands will do next to nothing. If you do have stupid single stage paint, then good. Its junk and should not be used on any car. It`s like trying to polish a concrete floor. It will just absorb everything you put onto it into the paint surface.

2005GTPinMD
03-10-2010, 07:01 PM
I would definitely get color x or Klasse AIO.

FLAteam
03-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Thanks for all your input. I haven`t seen ColoRx in a long, long time and its not on the shelves of my local stores so I don`t think I`ll go that route. I`ll try the Ultimate Compound and if it doesn`t work, I`ll just go with the simple wash, clay, seal.

However, it was great learning something new (single-stage paint). I remember doing a red 1996 Honda Prelude a long time ago and really bringing out the shine with simple Turtle wax rubbing compound (green tub).

If anyone else has more suggestions, I`m always up for it. I`m gonna work on this car in probably a week...Thanks in advance!

FLAteam
04-06-2010, 08:37 PM
I still haven`t done this car yet, but I think its for the better, considering some of my newest additions to my arsenal:

Collinite 476s

Dawn dishwashing soap (blue)

Griot`s Garage Paint Cleaning Clay

Klasse All-in-one

Optimum No Rinse

Optimum Car Wax (4 oz sample)

Pinnacle Liquid Souveran (2 oz sample x 2)

Werkstat Prime Strong (in the mail)

Please see my first post to see my updated plan!

2005GTPinMD
04-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Nice new additions. I would consider using KAIO/Werkstatt to remove oxidation maybe after claying but before scratch X.

BluBrett
04-23-2010, 11:38 PM
If you haven`t already done everything, i got rid of oxidation on my frost white Acura with Ultimate compound and then SwirlX afterward while using a black & decker waxer/polisher that I got for $35 at pep boys.