PDA

View Full Version : I need a "system"

Pages : [1] 2

Porkanbeans
12-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Regardless of what I read on the net about certain techniques or products that help speed up a detail, I still find myself taking too much time detailing as a whole. It took me 2 hours to wash and vac 2 SUVs the other day, which is pathetic. When I look back on that particular job, I realized that using the client`s water not only took me a total of 10 minutes or so to set up, but it also slowed down the detail because of lackluster water pressure. This has had me thinking about getting a pressure washer so I can save time washing and hack through wheel and tire cleaning times.

Other than the pressure washer idea, I don`t know how to expedite my details. Please share your "system": how you organize your products before heading out to a job, set up your stuff at the job site, and go through your detail without running around in circles (like me :eek: ). Would you recommend your "system" to me considering my equipment consists of a shop vac, rotary, PC, and eventually a pressure washer?

Thanks much!

hemin8r
12-28-2005, 02:54 PM
Great question. I`m in the same boat & am curious to how everyone else does it as well.

tooklean
12-28-2005, 03:05 PM
Why rush Quality. The average person can do about 2-3 full details per day. Do everything the same way each time you do a job and you will get faster. You don`t want to get so fast that your work becomes compromised. Hope this helps.

Jngrbrdman
12-28-2005, 03:25 PM
That is not a question that I think is easy to answer. Here is my "system" (http://www.detailcity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3136) for detailing a car. It takes roughly 3 or 4 hours to complete that particular process, but it can be shortened considerably if you cut things out. The key is to do things in the right order. I need to find a way to word my `short process` and then I can post that, but it is all there in that thread.

SA Detailer
12-28-2005, 04:42 PM
For a wash & vac on a SUV, it takes us about 30 to 40 minutes and about 20 to 30 min. on the car.

joyriide1113
12-28-2005, 04:58 PM
For a wash & vac on a SUV, it takes us about 30 to 40 minutes and about 20 to 30 min. on the car.

how many guys u have working for u?

Enhanced Detail
12-28-2005, 05:15 PM
I think that a lot of your time is entering an unfamiliar job site. I have a shop and do very little mobile detailing however, when I do detail at a customer`s home, I find myself spending more time on the vehicle than I would at the shop. When I set up an appointment "on the road", I make sure to ask a lot of questions, such as: space, lighting, heat, electricity, and the location of outlets, water, etc. Depending on the equipment that you have, you may want to ask even more that will help you prepare.

I agree with the comment about follow a step by step process for every vehicle that you do, which will allow you to keep you quality of work, but eventually speed up the process.

Hope this helps.

Jngrbrdman
12-28-2005, 05:32 PM

If all they want is a wash and a quick `once over` on the interior then I can do that too, but I don`t really like doing washes. They bore me and since it isn`t my primary source of income I don`t generally offer them. I`m sure my view would change if I did this for a living. When you are doing something for a living then you can`t afford to let the tedious things bore you. I may choose to always remain a hobbiest part time detailer for that very reason. I like being picky with who I will and will not work for. :D

Porkanbeans
12-28-2005, 11:09 PM
Thanks everyone, I think a lot of my problem has to do with inexperience. I`ve got every process down pat, but since I don`t have a steady amount of jobs everyday, it`s hard for me to get into a rhythm. Since I detail a lot for personal enjoyment at a leisurely pace, I find myself wasting time on jobs by forgetting to do "this" or not doing "that" in the right order. I can probably count the number of mobile jobs I`ve had on my two hands, if that gives you a clue as to what I`m talking about :stick . When summer hits, I`ll be able to rack up the jobs and practice my regimen.

Thanks again.

SA Detailer
01-08-2006, 10:43 PM
how many guys u have working for u?
Just me, myself and I. :D

jason(england)
01-09-2006, 04:47 AM
I think that if you want more speed you need to not get sidetracked by the small details an hour a vehicle is ok if you are not doing this mobile all the time.
My set upm for a wash and hoover goes like this.

clean wheels as nec .
soak car blast off exess dirt
wash rince
dry wheels and tyres
blade vehicle
leather exess
dry door shuts boot
dress tyres .

Prior to that .
Hoover interior de dust as nec clean all glass shut doors.

On a good day with a fair mix of vehicle conditions I can do ten of these a day.
I have been using this set up for years it works well for me if I got to a house I work in the same order but as I use something it goes back in the van so that when im finished I can make a fast exit.
I like to tidy as i go along I also have my van set up for maximum efficiency time is money you should aim to be 100 percent efficient plus.
Get into the habit of estimation the correct time for the job and charge for it .
No good spending two hours and getting paid for one.

Im big on doing the job right first time in the right time and getting the right amount for it.
Good Luck.
Jay

1 Clean WS6
01-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Why rush Quality. The average person can do about 2-3 full details per day. Do everything the same way each time you do a job and you will get faster. You don`t want to get so fast that your work becomes compromised. Hope this helps.

I`m with this 100%. Take your time...do it right...charge accordingly.

Porkanbeans
01-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Thanks again everyone. Just to update, I did a run-of-the-mill mom-mobile Honda Oddysey this weekend and got it done in 4 hours! I didn`t rush through it either. I felt I did a high quality job. I made a "game plan" similar to what Jason suggested (thanks!) and stuck to it. Granted, I only sealed the paint, but I still feel this was an accomplishment. Basically the job was a wash, wax, and full interior detail with carpet cleaning, leather cleaning/conditioning, etc.

Some HUGE time savers I learned while doing this van:

-When cleaning carpet mats, if rubber backed, spray an APC on them, scrub it in with a circular motion, and rinse it out with a high pressure hose or PW. The mats are left like new. There was no damage done to the mats either. Then extract the remaining water with hot water. This saved so much time. I basically did the same for the floor carpet, minus the hose. Worked awesome. I did have a mild cleaning solution in the extractor though. I believe ebpcivicsi does this, and I figured I`d try it. I will never do carpets differently unless they are foam-backed.

-Use a water based dressing for wheel wells. I used to use VRT or NL for wells but, since they are pretty thick, I had to apply them with a sponge. This time I used (sprayed) AutoMagic`s Dress It Right, which is water based and lasts an incredibly long time. It dried evenly and has stayed there since Saturday (I saw the car today). This is a great product for tires and exterior rubber too.

Thanks again guys!

ShineProDetails
01-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Keep trying, it takes years.....

Sounds like your on the right path. A pressure washer and extractor would help alot...

hemin8r
01-21-2006, 10:27 PM
I did a black convertible mustang today & it took me 6.5 hrs. I did the following:

1. Wash
2. cleaned the convertible top
3. SSR2.5
4. SSR1
5. Polish
6. Seal
7. detailed all trim ext & int.
8. Vac.
9. Cleaned & cond. Leather seats
10. once over on the Rims.

Does this sound about right or did I take a long time???