PDA

View Full Version : Trouble correcting paint on BMW

youngcw
03-08-2010, 02:52 PM
I am currently trying to polish up my Arctic Silver BMW. It has some light swirl marks, but nothing serious, I have corrected cars with much worse.

I have been going at it for most of the day and it doesn`t seem to be doing me much good, this clear seems to be extremely hard. I even wetsanded a few areas with 2000 grit and can`t even manage to get that all out.

I started out with a LC CCS 6.5" orange pad on rotary with optimum hyper compound at 1500rpm and I don`t think it did anything. So I changed to a 4" orange LC pad and got up to around 1800rpm barely got any better results.

Has anyone else had trouble with this particular color BMW also? And what do you recommend, going to a yellow pad or the wool? Thanks for your help.

youngcw
03-08-2010, 07:44 PM
I just ordered some M105 as it is supposed to have slightly more cut than the opt hyper compound as well as some 4" yellow and purple wool pads from detailed image(great prices and service btw!). Hopefully these will help me get this out.

Envious Eric
03-08-2010, 08:01 PM
why are you dropping down the pad size on a rotary??? it should be the other way around - bigger pad more force, more cut. on the PC, its the opposite, smaller pad, more cut.

You cant get swirls out so you decided to wet sand and wonder why you cant remove those??? something is not right here. sanding is reserved for deeper scratches, not for swirls (in most cases)

I would get the PFW in the 6.5" size with 105 and go at it. The newer BMW`s are said to be harder paint, whites and silver more so. blacks are still relatively soft, at least on the M3 I just did today.

also, try dropping the speed to 1200 and using more pressure and slower passes with the foam. It might build up the heat enough to cut the clear better. I would be shocked if 105 and PFW doesnt cut it for you.

I never did like OHC - OC was awesome, but HC sucked!

youngcw
03-08-2010, 08:24 PM
I changed to the 4" pads because my 6.5" orange pads were worn and my 4" were new. Also I wetsanded deeper scratches that needed to be done(not swirls) before I realized how much trouble I was having getting it out. I also tried lower rpms with more pressure with no success. Hopefully this m105 does the job for me.