PDA

View Full Version : How to remove cracked body colored bra?

COLDZ71
03-07-2010, 07:21 PM
A friend of mine has a 1998 Audi A4 which he wants to clean up. The paint is in great shape besides this one problem. At one point body colored protective film was installed on the front of the car and the rear bumper. The problem is it has been on the car for so long it is starting to crack and pull away from itself mostly on the hood. He wants me to help him polish the car but it would be kind of pointless to leave the film on.

Usually I would pull up an edge and get as much off as possible, but on the hood I will probably be pulling up dime size pieces. Not my idea of a good time. Also where it is pulling away from itself you can see the adhesive and it is all dried up. I dont know if my regular goo gone and adhesive remover will work.

So any ideas on getting the protective film off? Also any ideas on removing the leftover residue from the glue? Something agressive, but not so much to hur the clear coat? Thanks for the help.

execpaintpro
03-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Hey I own a PPF Shop and we see these once in awhile. A great way to soften that adhesive is to use a vapor or steamer with the interior rug brush wrapped in a micro fiber. Once you warm the adhesive it should come up alittle easier. If that doesnt work use a heat gun but obviously be careful not to heat up the paint too much. Unfortunately if the film has cracks in it you will be there for awhile but either above option should help alot. Once off wipe with 3m adhesive remover followed by a wet micro. Goof off works too. Good luck

COLDZ71
03-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the tips, I`ve never thought of using a steamer.

COLDZ71
03-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Any other ideas?