PDA

View Full Version : New truck wax/polish question

enacer
03-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Hey guys im new here got a few questions. I just picked up a 2010 Tahoe LTZ in black. I gave it a wash with a cool nozzle that mixes the soap with the water and didnt like how the water beaded up and the paint was rough when dry. I figured it needed a waxing. I picked up McGuires carnuba in the can and in a circular motion waxed on and waxed off (pun intended) the entire truck by hand. Im a perfectionist, I wasnt too impressed. I found alot of spots that were hazy that I had to keep whiping again and noticed very small scratches all over. I gave it a good rinse before washing and used a MF mit so im sure the scratches are from the guys washing it as the car sat on the lot for months and months. What should I do? I see McGuires makes something called swirl X i think? It is supposed to take small scratches and swirls out. I guess any polishing or componding (I dont know much about what either actually is[still learning]) is supposed to be applied before the wax.

craigdt
03-07-2010, 09:04 PM
1st thing:

learn how to spell Meguiars properly. "Mehgwires"

2nd thing:

Your vehicle probably needs a good clay job. I find the Mothers kit you can find at walmart/wherever does a great job. Then finish up with a good wax/sealant. Ive had great luck with Meguiars NXT 2. Its not the best OTC, but very readily available.

3rd thing:

you probably wont get very far removing swirls by hand. Consider getting a machine polisher.