PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 915 Q`s

Pages : [1] 2

ocd dave
03-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Hey Everyone,

I`ve been reading a lot about 915 and have a few questions.

Is it best suited for light or dark colors? Or does it matter?

Does it work good on clear coat and single stage paints? Or both?

Does it mute the look of metal/pearl flake at all?

What is the range of time that is needed for it to set?

Can you top it over a sealant, or is that over kill?

oooook so that was more than a few questions lol

Thanx for the help guys.:wavey

Big Dave

Strokin04
03-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Hey Everyone,

I`ve been reading a lot about 915 and have a few questions.

Is it best suited for light or dark colors? Or does it matter? No looks good on both.

Does it work good on clear coat and single stage paints? Or both? Works on both.

Does it mute the look of metal/pearl flake at all? I have never had a problem with muting.

What is the range of time that is needed for it to set? I would wait till the next time you wash before topping with another coat.

Can you top it over a sealant, or is that over kill? I have topped it over duragloss 501 or 105 and it looks good and is super durable.

oooook so that was more than a few questions lol

Thanx for the help guys.:wavey

Big Dave

Answers above, hope this helps, I love 915 and 845. I use them on most cars I detail and on my own because they look good and last for a long time. The only problem I have had is trying to do two coats of 915 in a row and getting a wierd hazing. This was fixed with a quick car wash and went away.

Fallz
03-07-2010, 08:28 AM
I`ve been using Collinite 476 throughout winter and am blown away by it`s durability and shine combo. I also want to try 915 when I start in full detailing season . If it`s anything like the 476 "deal me in"......

Barry Theal
03-07-2010, 09:05 AM
I`ve been using Collinite 476 throughout winter and am blown away by it`s durability and shine combo. I also want to try 915 when I start in full detailing season . If it`s anything like the 476 "deal me in"......

I think you may like 915 better!:xyxthumbs

Rob Tomlin
03-07-2010, 10:46 AM
I haven`t used it on anything but Silver so far, but it looks great on Silver!

It does not mute the flakes in the paint.

I would use 915 as the base, then maintain it with something like OCW or AW.

JohnKleven
03-07-2010, 12:27 PM
I use 915 fairly regularly, and find that you don`t want to let it sit too long before buffing out, and it doesn`t offer a very good gloss. I usually apply to half of the car, then buff out, then do the same for the other half. I use on light colored cars only, and it`s a great product because it lasts a long time, but on a dark colored vehicle I go to a different option.

John

jose206
03-07-2010, 01:32 PM
So what would you suggest using on dark colors john?

Fallz
03-07-2010, 03:30 PM
I use 915 and it doesn`t offer a very good gloss.

Thats interesting. For the price maybe I will skip it .

JohnKleven
03-07-2010, 04:35 PM

I think for the price you can`t get a better wax, BUT it doesn`t have a great shine in my opinion. I personally think that 1Z Glanz wax has a much better look for the money. If you don`t mind spending a few extra dollars the Sonax Premium Class carnauba wax or P21S 100% is a good value.

John

Rob Tomlin
03-07-2010, 07:41 PM

I think you will find that his opinion is in a small minority.

JohnKleven
03-07-2010, 07:57 PM
I think you will find that his opinion is in a small minority.

Can you really disagree that much? I stated before that Collinite is an excellent wax, and offers incredible durability. I use it in my shop as our standard wax, but it does not have a warm carnauba glow like a pricier boutique wax. Let`s put it this way, I would put Collinite on my personal car during our wet Seattle winters, but during the summer, I`m all about the higher end waxes.

John

Rob Tomlin
03-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Can you really disagree that much? I stated before that Collinite is an excellent wax, and offers incredible durability. I use it in my shop as our standard wax, but it does not have a warm carnauba glow like a pricier boutique wax. Let`s put it this way, I would put Collinite on my personal car during our wet Seattle winters, but during the summer, I`m all about the higher end waxes.

John

Colli 915 went up against some very high end waxes in a blind test and did...shall we say....*very* well!

Wax Test - The Looks Results!! - Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=79747)

Rob Tomlin
03-07-2010, 08:42 PM
This thread shows the entire process that was used in their testing:

Big Wax Test - Looks Results - Full Review - Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=79801)

JohnKleven
03-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Interesting review. I have never used Royale, but I do own Vintage, and I will say that you can`t even compare Vintage to 915. Except of course in durability. You know what they say about Z waxes, it wears off just as quickly as it takes to put it on.

John

nosbusa1700
03-08-2010, 01:58 PM
915 has more Carnauba in it than either 476 and 845. So it should have a more warmer glow than the other two.

915 is a very good wax. Check ebay before you buy, you may get a better price. I know I did.