PDA

View Full Version : Removing WAX/water-spots from the rubber molding.

BlueIS300
03-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Hey guys,

I`ve been a guest of autopia for a while and recently decided to become a member because of the knowledge most people have about detailing on this website.

I bought a Lexus about a year ago and the previous owner kept it pretty clean, but the rubber molding around the windows and the sunroof look pretty ugly. It looks as if it`s dried wax and dried water drops on the molding.

I was wondering if any of you know how to take all the deposits out of the rubber. I`ve searched for my issue but I couldn`t find anything except for the product #40 by Meguiar`s.

SlantS
03-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Try using a concentrated tire cleaner or degreaser. Put it in a spray bottle and go around the trim with a tooth brush or detail brush. Rinse it with water as you go.

You can also finish by putting bug & tar remover on a MF towel. Just wipe the trim in even strokes. You might want to wash the car after, then dress it.

Just an extra tip. I usually take a 1" paintbrush and cut the bristles down to 1/4". They work well on trim, and they are very inexpensive in bulk.

Accumulator
03-06-2010, 10:33 AM
BlueIS300- Welcome to Autopia!

You`d have to be very careful to keep it off the glass, but Griot`s Rubber Prep can be a near miracle-worker for cases when other products (and you name it, I`ve tried it ;) ) just don`t do the job.

imported_WhyteWizard
03-06-2010, 11:30 AM
You can scrub treatment into the rubber moldings using a Mr. Clean magic eraser.

It will scrub off the oxidized rubber and contamination and you`ll be filling the rubber with treatment - I`d suggest 303 - instead of chemical cleaner.

Robert