PDA

View Full Version : I`m thinking of offering clear bras

tonyS
03-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Anyone have any advice? I really don`t know anything about it.

Envious Eric
03-05-2010, 04:10 PM
then how the heck are you going to offer it?

Garry Dean
03-05-2010, 04:24 PM

+1 LOL! Its quite the investment to have film on hand. Also you will need a plotter to make custom cuts which is also not cheap. I would do some Google searches and get some info. Are you not busy enough detailing to just do that? Why do you want to get into clear film install?

SlantS
03-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Paint Protection for your vehicle. Also known as Invisible Bra. Welcome to InvisibleMask.com (http://www.invisiblemask.com)

This crap is hard to find.

Clear Vinyl Film (http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/258787166/Transparent_self_adhesive_vinyl_film.html)

3M Scotchal Luster Overlaminate (https://www.kapco.com/cms/site/ffe5037046c2a900/index.html)

focus2069
03-05-2010, 05:24 PM
I prefer the bra-less look myself, as it just gets in the way sometimes.....

wait...are we talking cars..or....?

AndyWax
03-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Anyone have any advice? I really don`t know anything about it.

Are you planning on installing it yourself? If so, get some training I have found training to range from $500-$1500. Some include tools and none of them include film. You can purchase an entry level plotter for $3000+. That will allow you to cut standard kits. Anything larger and you will have to shell out more that double the $$. You would also need to buy software for the patterns. I know XPEL offers a access to their database for a monthly fee. And of course you would have to have film on hand.

You can also order pre-cut kits. It really depends on your cash flow. The only hesitation I have with that is if you screw something up - you are screwed unless you order some extra pieces.

Another option is to have it sub-contracted. I know a few guys on here do that. Just be sure to find a company/individual with a great reputation. My brother subs out window tinting and it seems to work out well for him.

As far as the brand of film - I think it comes down to preference. I have heard some really good things about Xpel. I have also researched Avery. They have a new film using nano technology. I really like the fact they offer a lifetime(original owner) warranty on their film.

Hope this helps.

SlantS
03-05-2010, 05:51 PM
I bet you could also cut tint with the same plotter :)

AndyWax
03-05-2010, 05:57 PM
I bet you could also cut tint with the same plotter :)

You are correct. You just need the software. Although all the tint guys i know prefer to custom cut their film.

tonyS
03-05-2010, 07:52 PM

I guess I should have mentioned that I would learn how to do it first...

So you can`t just cut it with a razor blade to fit like window tinters do? As far as training goes, I do the self-taught thing.

YeboGoGo
03-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Its pretty hard to do. I have bought a 100ft roll ($300) for the 3m stuff and went to town on my cars. The good film is thick and a bit harder to work with but a propane torch (yes im serious) makes it soft and easily stretchable.

I own a plotter and never used it for film or tint but know it can do it. I just cut my stuff by hand. Its a bit hard to work initially but manageable.

I guess my advice is get 7 feet of film to start and try it on your car. You will work out real fast if you think its worth the money or not.

JohnKleven
03-05-2010, 09:57 PM
We do clear bras in our shop, and it`s an excellent product to sell, BUT it takes about 100 cars to get good enough to sell a quality product to your customers. If you sell a poorly installed clear bra it can be a costly mistake (cut paint, poor quality, stretch marks, silvering, etc.) I wouldn`t get into clear bras unless you have A LOT of time to learn how to properly install. It has worked out great for us in the end, but it took a while to get here.

John

execpaintpro
03-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Definatley agree with John. It is a tremendous investment but if you have a strong client base and the proper training it can be a lucrative business. We added PPF to our detailing operation over a year ago and it has been fantastic. I hired a very experienced installer with tons of high end car installs under his belt which is 99% of the battle. Then it comes down to your sales skills and getting the plotter, software and bulk film in and moving. We work with Xpel and they have been amazing. From training to support i cant say enough about them. There are many good films on the market but the key is good film and good support. Hope this helps a little

seanemersonsant
03-08-2010, 12:03 AM
I agree with you guys, window tinting is bit complicated and would take a professional to have it perfected, I wouldn’t touch my window tint if I knew that I’m just gonna mess with it, instead of having it done yourself I would suggest that you get a professional to have it done for you, why don’t you visit Tintbuyer.com. They’re the only company I trust with my car, they provide relevant information about window tints such as its types, prices in the market, and help locate the best professional tinter near you.

jimmybuffit
03-12-2010, 05:49 AM
"but a propane torch (yes im serious) makes it soft and easily stretchable."

Give some thought to using a steamer, instead of the open flame.

JB

Rickrack
03-12-2010, 07:12 AM
If you already have a detail business going, you should find a quality installer in the area and contract out the work for now. Most installers would be more than happy to give you a discount if you get them a decent amount of cars.

Make a profit on each car for doing nothing and make sure to take notes if you decide to do the installs yourself one day. Dealers charge top dollar for clear-bra`s, so make sure you offer it for a little less than the dealer for people that are price shopping. I`m sure you could make at least $200 - $250 per kit. If something happens and damage is caused, it`s on the installer, not you. The installer you choose is equally important as the brand of film.

Offer it to all of your customers to see if it would be worth investing all the $$ for training and equipment. Once the word is out and you have a good flow of clear-bra customers, take a training course and give it a go!

Good luck! :xyxthumbs