PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning rubber trim

Striker
03-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Looking for a good product that will make the exterior rubber trim around the wondow clean and looking new again.

Any advice? Thanks.

imported_Jonnyboy
03-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Looking for a good product that will make the exterior rubber trim around the wondow clean and looking new again.

Any advice? Thanks.

They make rubber cleaners especially for that. Meguiars #40 I have heard is good. And you can get it by the gallon.

I have always had luck using an APC to clean door jams and rubber. Then the best conditioner by far is 303 Aerospace protectant.

Hope this helps!

Jonathan

Dsoto87
03-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Griots Rubber prep followed by 1z gummi pflege

Striker
03-04-2010, 11:01 PM
They make rubber cleaners especially for that. Meguiars #40 I have heard is good. And you can get it by the gallon.

I have always had luck using an APC to clean door jams and rubber. Then the best conditioner by far is 303 Aerospace protectant.

Hope this helps!

Jonathan

I hear you on the 303 Jonathan, it`s awesome! I didnt know Megs made a rubber cleaner. I`ll have to look into it because I know I can get that locally instead of doing an online order than having to pay shipping to Canada.

Thanks!

Striker
03-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Actually, is there something that is strictly a cleaner product for rubber/exterior trim? I am happy with 303 as a protectant, not so much a cleaner.

P-nut
03-05-2010, 12:01 AM
For really tough dirt, some P21S Total Auto Wash and a light scrubbing with fine steel wool usually works for me. Makes the rubber look like new again.

solstice
03-05-2010, 01:46 AM
Striker, depending on where you are in Canada, 303 is sold in the local auto stores. I don`t use 303 on rubber, but rather use it on plastics and tires.

I use Zymol Seal and 1Z Gummipflege.

2010V8Colorado
03-05-2010, 06:59 AM
303 is the way to go. It can, and should, be used on the interior plastic as well. Some "rubber" products are not for interior. Get the 303 and that`s all you`ll need.

Accumulator
03-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Griots Rubber prep followed by 1z gummi pflege

Yeah, that`s what I was gonna say. Gotta keep the Rubber Prep off the glass though. The much milder Griot`s Rubber Cleaner is OK if you don`t need a really potent product.

KAIO can work surprisingly well too; that`s what I use on the XJS, topped with Souveran. On the MPV and Yukon I top it with KSG. No, those products don`t damage the rubber, I`ve been doing that kind of thing on the Jag since the `80s and the other two for as long as I`ve had them (eight years on the MPV).

imported_Jonnyboy
03-05-2010, 09:58 AM
Actually, is there something that is strictly a cleaner product for rubber/exterior trim? I am happy with 303 as a protectant, not so much a cleaner.

Try the Meguiars #40, Griots Rubber Cleaner, Gummipflege.....