PDA

View Full Version : wax over sealant?

jrock817
03-04-2010, 10:58 AM
my question is, i love the look of klasse AIO on my black cobra. but is it possible to put wax over sealant? does it even make sense to put wax over sealant?

imported_Jakerooni
03-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Yep. very common thing to do really.

Dan
03-04-2010, 11:14 AM
It doesn`t make sense if you like the look. Putting something over it will change the looks completely.

focus2069
03-04-2010, 11:50 AM
people say that some sealants (blackfire wet diamond, for instance) doesnt need a wax on top.

if its a good quality sealant, i wouldnt worry about it.

willtothewong
03-04-2010, 12:07 PM
you dont "have" to but with KAIO, i usually top it with some carnuba wax like meg`s 26 or souveran. but recently i`ve been liking optimum car wax more and more due to its simplicity and ease of use.

subygirl
03-04-2010, 07:51 PM
This may have been discussed before, but I can`t seem to find it on a search. How long after buffing the sealant should you let it bond to the paint before you apply the wax? I have heard anything from 2 hours to 12 hours.

DETAILKING
03-04-2010, 08:50 PM
If you like the look of carnauba, I would just use that for a few reasons:

1. The oils in a carnauba can permeate some polymer sealants decreasing durability. Kind of defeats the purpose of the sealant underlayer

2. The oils in a carnauba attract dust, again defeats the purpose of a sealant, which tend to have more of an anti static, non-stick surface characteristic.

3. The hi-solvents in a carnauba based system can strip or etch the sealant underlayer, again, defeats the purpose of using the sealant

4. Once you use a carnauba/oil based product over a sealant, you limit your ability to layer the sealant until the carnuba / oil layer is stripped.

As a compromise, if you want the durability of the sealant with more of a carnauba look, I would use an oil based QD instead. It is "less harsh" than a solvent based carnauba wax and won`t hurt the sealant layer as much. It will also wash off easier for when it`s time to put another sealant layer on.

Last, based on my experience and opinion, I feel that the best topper to a layerable sealant, is another coat of the same product. Typically, each coat gives additional return on gloss and protection.

tmg19103
03-05-2010, 01:30 AM
Sealants can look great on their own, but it does not give the depth and warmth of a nuba, IMHO.

Also, sealants really show imperfections while a nuba can help cover them up.

I always have several coats of UPGP on my car. In the winter I top it with OID (gives a nuba look) while helping with sheeting as UPGP beads great but the beads really stay there with UPGP and can cause water spots. In the summer I top the UPGP with P21S 100%. Looks awesome, and I prefer the added protection of the UPGP below the nuba as my car is outside 24/7.

I then top the P21S 100% with OID, but this does not make the P21S 100% look any better as the wax is awesome, but it helps prevent the dust and pollen that nuba`s love to attract from accumulating quickly.

beastie
03-05-2010, 05:09 AM
AIO>Souveran on black: AIO starts off sterile, clean, hard gloss. Topped with Souveran, black retains the gloss of AIO but adds a luxurious deep wetness. Quite nice looking actually.

AIO>KSG x 3-5: if you like AIO, you`ll really love KSG over it. Imagine AIO on steroids. Think wet nail polish. Decent depth but not in carnauba sense of the word. Still, the gloss is quite phenomenal but not to the extent that you can`t see the color of the paint anymore (my biggest turnoff concerning Zaino, I see nothing but reflections, I don`t see the color of the paint). Caveat: gotta have your paint as close to perfect as you can get it if you use Klasse twins. I think it`s worth the effort.

My 2 cents.

dschribs
03-05-2010, 06:59 AM
While I haven`t tried the combo myself, I`ve seen stellar results in quite a few different forums using the Blackfire WD Sealant topped with a carnauba. While some folks here don`t see the need for these two steps or think they make a difference visually, Blackfire seems to think otherwise. Their Wet-Ice over Fire combo has produced some really nice looking end results from what I`ve seen....

I`ll be using Souveran over BFWD in the Spring on my show car. Of course, my priorities for that car are a little different than for those with daily drivers.

SATracker
03-05-2010, 12:15 PM
I asked Mike Phillips this same question; his response- if you use a sealant you don`t really need a wax. I use a sealant after polishing and use wax later after washes....Pinnacle souveran.