PDA

View Full Version : pad cleaning

Pages : [1] 2

termigator
03-03-2010, 12:32 PM
what do you use to clean your pads? Right now, I`m using Dawn detergent and /or Snappy to clean the pads. I have no problems with removing polish from the pads, but removing sealants and waxes are a bear.

GoCubsGo
03-03-2010, 02:36 PM
I`ve had good luck with Dawn Power Dissolver. Should be available at your local ACE hardware store.

Mist each pad with DPD, work it in, let dwell for a 10-20 minutes and then rinse.

termigator
03-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Sounds good. Is the degreaser in a spray bottle?

uberyk
03-03-2010, 03:07 PM
while a bit steep in price, the grit guard pad washer bucket is def my preferred way of washing pads.

def worth it if you have to wash more than a few at once.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
03-03-2010, 03:21 PM
I spray on Megs super degreaser once the pad is done with for the session

I let it sit on a towel faced down (velcro side up) until I am done for the night. I then continously rinse until water that comes out is clean

GoCubsGo
03-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Sounds good. Is the degreaser in a spray bottle?

Yep, pretty much. Note the name change in my initial post, I always refer to it as "degreaser", but the actual label reads "dissolver". It gels up a little if it sits too long so I shake it up pretty good prior to each use. Might be worth a trial run since you should be able to get it locally.

termigator
03-03-2010, 05:40 PM
There`s an ACE hardware store near where I live. I`ll be sure to check it out.

termigator
03-03-2010, 05:43 PM
while a bit steep in price, the grit guard pad washer bucket is def my preferred way of washing pads.

def worth it if you have to wash more than a few at once.

I thought about it, but it`s just too much for me to swallow.

I spray on Megs super degreaser once the pad is done with for the session

I let it sit on a towel faced down (velcro side up) until I am done for the night. I then continously rinse until water that comes out is clean

You can also dilute the Megs super degreaser and use it as a wheel cleaner, right?

imported_DiamondD
03-03-2010, 06:17 PM
I use the grit guard bucket system works great.

dschribs
03-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Iv`e used Dawn (with a stiff brush) followed by Meg`s APC. Worked fine for me.

craigdt
03-03-2010, 10:02 PM
I use megs APC+ and Dawn. However, I intend to try the DPD as soon as I can find it.

imported_Jakerooni
03-03-2010, 10:50 PM
I spray them out with the hose and then get a 5 gallon bucket of water and APC or Degreaser and let them soak for awhile. Never had an issue yet with them coming clean.

Accumulator
03-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Dawn Power Dissolver, Regular Dawn, MF detergent, APC...all work OK.

Noting that I don`t work on stupid-soft paint, I don`t worry too much about a little bit of residual LSP on the pads. Never caused any marring/etc. for me so I just don`t sweat it.

LICamaro85
03-04-2010, 06:00 PM
I use microfiber cleaner for the majority of my pads and the ones that are very dirty or when I do a car without a clear I will clean them with a APC then do my regular cleaning with the microfiber "detergent"

- LI 85

AntonV
03-04-2010, 09:07 PM
y`all aren`t putting these in the washing machine, are you? in the same "category", how are you washing grout sponges?