PDA

View Full Version : What brand size and backing plate for my rotary

eurotrs
03-02-2010, 11:03 AM
So last year I wet sanded and buffed the front half of my old beetle. Its single stage black that was painted a few years ago and has surprisingly hard paint.

I am ready to get some new products.

I have a Harbor Fright rotary....i know

M105, #82, #83, #80 Optimum polish, AIO some nice LSPs.

I plan on using 3m compound then m105 followed by m205 then ultrafina then lsp.

I am looking to pick up a backing plate and pads, what size and brands should I pick up.

What pads do you recommend I use with each product?

LICamaro85
03-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Each product can be used with a few different pads. I would go with 6.5 inch Lake Country pads.

Most products today can either cut more/less depending on which pad you use with it.

You can use meg`s205 with a cutting or polishing pad and both will work fine depending on what you want to do.

Just keep searching and reading the forums and you will see a trend on what most people prefer/use.

Also if you havent bought a rotary left I have a few for sale. Porter cable/milwaukee/dewalt Let me know if you are interested.

- LI 85

Accumulator
03-02-2010, 12:09 PM
There`s a Meguiar`s backing plate that`s *VERY* popular...forget the part number though :confused:

imported_WCD
03-02-2010, 11:47 PM
I was using the larger ones, but David of Innovative talked me into the smaller sized kompressor pads. I did order the smaller backing plate- for the DA- Doh! I have to reorder and get the rotary one that fits smaller pads. I also am trying a 4" pad on my rotary at Dave`s advice for tight areas. 4" pads are also from LC.

As soon as I get the backing pad, I`m going to post results of HD Uno and Optimum on a black BMW that is in horrendous shape. Should be fun!

Rob Regan

vtec92civic
03-03-2010, 01:06 AM
Rubbish Boys backing plate . . . . . i have a 6", 5" & 3"

pads i have 6.5", 5.5" & 4"

i used the 4" today for the first time and they are excellent!

I personally would go with a id sized pad like the 5.5" and grab a 5" back plate.

Pad brand i would get some Uber Pads.

rwisejr
03-03-2010, 06:20 AM
+1 for the Rubbish Boy plates really quality made. The new meguiars plate for the larger pads and the Uber pads are great !!!

eurotrs
03-04-2010, 09:21 AM
I think I`m going to go with a 5 inch backing plate since i have some LC kompressor pads and I think they are 5.5

JohnKleven
03-04-2010, 09:31 AM
I really like the Gloss-It backing plate. It`s similar to the European 3M, but it`s hook and loop.

John