PDA

View Full Version : Levander`s first basic detail

levander
02-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Rather than start a bunch of threads all over the board with my misadventures trying to do a basic detail, I`m just planning on maintaining this one thread.

I`m calling it a basic detail just because I`m not using a polisher. Only doing wash, clay, AIO, seal.

Finally got around to doing the wash today. I was pre-spraying with OPC and then using a sponge covered by microfiber to wipe on some ONR. So, even though ONR is rinseless, because you`re supposed to rinse OPC, I was rinsing off after applying the ONR with a garden hose and spray attachment on it. Then I have one of those huge fluffy yellow Vroom MF`s to make drying passes.

Issues:

1.) I was sloppy and left the drying towels where I kept spraying them with water. They weren`t soaked, but parts of the towels did get pretty wet. Mentioning this because it might come in play in point 2.).

2.) By the time I got to about the 4th panel, when I`d use the drying towel, it was like I was pushing around a thin layer of slime on the car. I`d try buffing it out with the towel, and the slime did get thinner. But it was still there. All I was doing was thinning and spreading it across the paint. I think that was the ONR.

Actually, as typing this, I`m realizing what it probably was. I put the 2 gallons of water in the bucket first. Then, I put the 2 capfuls - to make 1 oz - of the ONR in the bucket. I don`t think I mixed it very well. So, at first it was working pretty good. But, as the sponge was taking more water out of the bucket, I got towards the bottom, where most of the ONR was. But, since it wasn`t mixed well, there was too much ONR down there? And, it ended up as slime on my paint.

Do I need to go and get that ONR off my car tomorrow?

3.) After finishing the hood, I looked at it from a few angles. At first I thought there were a bunch of dents in my hood. Then, I ran my fingers across them, and there`s no dent. It must just be in the paint. It looks kind of like a rain drop as it hits the water and begins to ripple. Only, the image got frozen when the ripples reached about an inch and a half in diamter.

I went over these with some OPC and a MF. Nothing. They`re still there.

What are these? Can I get them out?

I vaguely remember a long time ago noticing one or two of those. But, I don`t regularly wash my car - it`s literally been years - so I`m not positive they were there before.

4.) What about all the chemical and the water that gets on the driveway? I tried to use the garden hose to push the dirty water off the driveway. I got a lot of it, some of it ended up in a recessed corner under my old boat. Is that chemical going to stain the driveway? I assume all the dirt in that water will make it dirty. But, how bad is the OPC and ONR for the driveway?

I quit about half way through. Because of the slime I decided it just wasn`t working. And, I was exhausted. It was a long day before I even started trying to wash my car. But, I got a hell of a lot of dirt off it. There was this black gunk on top of the car that I thought were actual places where the paint have come off. But, the gunk did came off. And, the water I tried to spray off the driveway was absolutely filthy. I couldn`t believe how dirty it was.

craigdt
02-28-2010, 08:24 PM
You know, if you havent washed your car for years, ONR may not the the best choice for you.

Accumulator
03-01-2010, 10:03 AM
levander- I bet you don`t need to hear this now, but the biggie here is thoughtful planning and preparation ;)

Noting that I`m sure not any authority on Optimum stuff to say the least, I woulda rinsed off the OPC before switching to the ONR.

I woulda stopped the *second* I realized the ONR wasn`t mixed thoroughly and taken care of that.

Yeah, I`d ONR the car again, working smaller areas at a time.

The "ripples" on the hood sound like etching, which you won`t be able to correct.

The Optimum stuff shouldn`t hurt your driveway.

As noted, this isn`t really the way to deal with a *really* neglected car. So...

If working with your apparent constraints, I`d start by using the OPC at a DIY carwash. I don`t see any way to avoid a bit of additional marring, so I`d agitate it a bit with some soft MFs, trying to turn/fold/replace them as they get dirty so you`re not rubbing the dirt in too badly. Then drive it home and rewash with ONR. Then start the claying.

Hope you have plenty of clay.

Plus, and yeah I know you won`t want to hear this, I`d sure be thinking about using *something* besides/instead of the KAIO on this one...

levander
03-01-2010, 01:16 PM
levander- I bet you don`t need to hear this now, but the biggie here is thoughtful planning and preparation

You`ve seen my posts? I`m driving people crazy trying to figure out so much. People are like, "just pick a product and run with it! It doesn`t matter!"

I woulda stopped the *second* I realized the ONR wasn`t mixed thoroughly and taken care of that.

Yeah, I`d ONR the car again, working smaller areas at a time.

That`s actually good news. I was thinking I was going to have to IPA it. Which wouldn`t be so bad if I knew how to do it. It`s the figuring all this stuff out that`s driving me crazy.

And yeah, like after a couple of panels, I did get lazy and do larger areas. I`ll keep it small.

Plus, and yeah I know you won`t want to hear this, I`d sure be thinking about using *something* besides/instead of the KAIO on this one...

No, I`m aware the AIO isn`t going to correct anything. Or, very much. I want to get into polishers, but one step at a time. And, I`m not using KAIO. I bought some Duragloss #101 at NAPA. Reading on the forum later, I should have gotten the Duragloss #501 because it`s stronger. I might go back and exchange it. But, I`m not sure it`s a huge deal.

And really, the car came pretty clean with the ONR and OPC. The half I did do looks a hell of a lot better. Yeah, I`d love it pristine, but what I got is a huge improvement. To my non-Autopian trained eyes, I`m very happy with how it looks just with the OPC and ONR.

I`m an engineer and have learned very well to keep things simple, starting small. And, I`ve seen that advice here and there on Autopia too. Don`t be surprised if in the next 6 months I`m trying to figure out polishers. But at least I won`t have a filthy car sitting outside driving me crazy making me try to hurry and learn this stuff. I`m way too picky to be learning this stuff fast.

Hope you have plenty of clay.

Just one bar of Clay Magic Blue I bought at Autozone. Guess I`ll need more.

The "ripples" on the hood sound like etching, which you won`t be able to correct.

Cool, now that I know what it`s called, I can search for it, find out what causes it.

The Optimum stuff shouldn`t hurt your driveway.

The only question I`ve got for now. I`m thinking about pulling the car over into the grass next time. But, it`s pretty nice grass. Stuff turns brown in the winter. But comes summer it looks great. Will the Optimum stuff kill my grass?

Accumulator
03-01-2010, 01:28 PM
You`ve seen my posts? I`m driving people crazy trying to figure out so much. People are like, "just pick a product and run with it! It doesn`t matter!"

Well, gotta apply the preparatory thought to the right things ;) Like setup, process, in-progress evaluation...not the products.

That`s actually good news. I was thinking I was going to have to IPA it. Which wouldn`t be so bad if I knew how to do it. It`s the figuring all this stuff out that`s driving me crazy.

IPAing is just wiping the panels with the IPA. Either spritz it on with a sprayer or wipe it on with a MF. But IPA isn`t all that great a cleaner and isn`t what I`d use for this. Stick to cleaning it with the OPC and ONR.

As for figuring it out, if you`re able to write out what you plan to do, how you plan to do it, what you`ll be watching out for, what to do if something`s amiss, and what end-result you expect...then you should have a good understanding of things. So you might test yourself and see if you could do a write-up before you try doing something. It might expose any gaps in your knowledge/understanding.

No, I don`t see that as overthinking it, but rather as applying the thinking in the right way. You strike me as the kind of person who`s gonna do the thinking anyhow, might as well make it fruitful.

And yeah, like after a couple of panels, I did get lazy and do larger areas. I`ll keep it small.

OK, lesson learned.

No, I`m aware the AIO isn`t going to correct anything. Or, very much. I want to get into polishers, but one step at a time. And, I`m not using KAIO. I bought some Duragloss #101 at NAPA. Reading on the forum later, I should have gotten the Duragloss #501 because it`s stronger. I might go back and exchange it. But, I`m not sure it`s a huge deal.

I`d get the stronger product.

And really, the car came pretty clean with the ONR and OPC. The half I did do looks a hell of a lot better. Yeah, I`d love it pristine, but what I got is a huge improvement. To my non-Autopian trained eyes, I`m very happy with how it looks just with the OPC and ONR.

Good. It`s how things look *to you* that matter. Don`t fall victim to the Curse of Autopia. Satisfy *yourself*.

Just one bar of Clay Magic Blue I bought at Autozone. Guess I`ll need more.

Wouldn`t hurt. Tear it into chunks so you don`t contaminate the whole thing at once, especially if you drop it (hint hint/warning warning).

Cool, now that I know what it`s called, I can search for it, find out what causes it.

Industrial fallout, acid rain, stuff like that. OR it could be the result of a poorly done previous repair.

The only question I`ve got for now. I`m thinking about pulling the car over into the grass next time. But, it`s pretty nice grass. Stuff turns brown in the winter. But comes summer it looks great. Will the Optimum stuff kill my grass?

I`d keep it on the drive myself, but I really dunno if the Optimum stuff would hurt the grass or not.

levander
03-03-2010, 03:51 PM
It`s been cold here, haven`t done any more work yet.

As for figuring it out, if you`re able to write out what you plan to do, how you plan to do it, what you`ll be watching out for, what to do if something`s amiss, and what end-result you expect...then you should have a good understanding of things. So you might test yourself and see if you could do a write-up before you try doing something. It might expose any gaps in your knowledge/understanding.

When I first read this, I was thinking that all you can do is study the process and learn what you`re supposed to do. Like, no video I`ve seen mentions keeping your drying towel away from the spraying water. That`s just somethink you screw up and figure out how stupid it is after you`ve done it.

But, I`ve been watching a few video tutorials since. And, after you familiarize yourself with the process, you`ve got to go back and really pay attentions to the warnings. Most video tutorials don`t emphasize these enough.

Industrial fallout, acid rain, stuff like that. OR it could be the result of a poorly done previous repair.

I searched this forum for etchings. I don`t think it`s those. They may be what they call holograms on this forum. But, they "look" deep. You don`t know that they`re not deep until you run your fingers over them. I need to get pictures up in this thread of it.

I`d get the stronger product.

Napa doesn`t have the Duragloss #501. But, I just found out there`s one CarQuest in this area. Just called and they`re ordering it for me. Pick it up tomorrow. Also stopped at Autozone and bought some more Clay Magic Blue. It`s ridiculous how many different stores you have to go to to get the good stuff.

Accumulator
03-04-2010, 10:15 AM
When I first read this, I was thinking that all you can do is study the process and learn what you`re supposed to do. Like, no video I`ve seen mentions keeping your drying towel away from the spraying water. That`s just somethink you screw up and figure out how stupid it is after you`ve done it...

That`s the kind of thing I`d try to come up with in my "what might go wrong; how and why?" prep planning.

But, I`ve been watching a few video tutorials since. And, after you familiarize yourself with the process, you`ve got to go back and really pay attentions to the warnings. Most video tutorials don`t emphasize these enough.

Yeah, trying to deal with too much info at once can make it harder, so getting a general idea about each aspect will gradually give you the ability to think about other things.

I searched this forum for etchings. I don`t think it`s those. They may be what they call holograms on this forum. But, they "look" deep. You don`t know that they`re not deep until you run your fingers over them. I need to get pictures up in this thread of it.

It`s almost certainly acid rain etching. See if you can find pertinent info at the AutoInt website: http://www.autoint.com/

It`s ridiculous how many different stores you have to go to to get the good stuff.

That`s why I just order online.

levander
04-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Accumulator, thanks. That way of thinking about it, by concentrating on what can go wrong, really gave me a way to organize this stuff in my head. Makes it easier to digest.

I`ve probably already ruined this thread with my huge posts in it, but I was able to spend some time working on the car yesterday. Few more questions:

After you clay, you`re supposed to re-wash the car with ONR or whatever you use, right?

Doing underneath the sides of the car gets my sponge way too dirty. I`ve got a fender well brush, it`s this one: Click (http://autogeek.net/mothers-fender-well-brush.html). Can I use that on the paint also? It feels really soft to me. The description on that page says safe for wheels. Would that mean it`s probably safe for paint also? I hate saying probably though. I`d rather just know. Is there a test I can do?

I`m cleaning the little yellow applicators I got for the AIO, sealant, and tire dressing with Dawn, agitating with fingers, and rinsing out real good. Do I need to clean all my brushes also? Right now, I`m just spraying them with a regular garden hose. Is that good enough?

levander
04-04-2010, 01:41 PM
It`s almost certainly acid rain etching. See if you can find pertinent info at the AutoInt website: http://www.autoint.com/

Little research I did, don`t think it`s etching. I need to post pics. Maybe I`ll get to that today.

Accumulator
04-04-2010, 04:03 PM
I`ve probably already ruined this thread with my huge posts in it..

No, no....don`t worry about that.

... I was able to spend some time working on the car yesterday. Few more questions:

After you clay, you`re supposed to re-wash the car with ONR or whatever you use, right?

I would. I`d be concerned that the clay/lube residue won`t just wipe off cleanly.

Doing underneath the sides of the car gets my sponge way too dirty. I`ve got a fender well brush, it`s this one: Click (http://autogeek.net/mothers-fender-well-brush.html). Can I use that on the paint also? It feels really soft to me. The description on that page says safe for wheels. Would that mean it`s probably safe for paint also? I hate saying probably though. I`d rather just know. Is there a test I can do?

Brushes like that generally cause some light marring *IME, but depending on the area, and how aggressively you use it, it might not be all that bad.

Note that the finish on wheels is usually a bit tougher than the paint on the body of the car, and people often aren`t as particular about it either.

I CD-test wash media (wet with shampoo solution).

FWIW, I use BHBs and/or MFs for jobs like that. And once I get them clean/polished/LSPed I make sure they never get really nasty again ;)

I`m cleaning the little yellow applicators I got for the AIO, sealant, and tire dressing with Dawn, agitating with fingers, and rinsing out real good. Do I need to clean all my brushes also? Right now, I`m just spraying them with a regular garden hose. Is that good enough?

Brushes usually rinse clean pretty well with no really special treatment. Inspect them and you`ll probably decide they`re OK.

Little research I did, don`t think it`s etching. I need to post pics. Maybe I`ll get to that today.

Yeah, a pic would be helpful.

levander
04-04-2010, 04:42 PM
About that fender well brush, I`m taking a break from having to scrub down one of the wheels now... I just looked at the fender well brush, it`s all "gummy" on one half of the bristles... Don`t remember it being like that yesterday. I may have done something today? Or, maybe some stuff dried on it last night? I was working on the wheels yesterday too (I`m taking them off, one by one).

Probably not a good idea to use that one the paint, even if most of it is on the underside. I`m considering buying a new fenderwell brush too. Even though I`ve only used it maybe five times, that brush don`t look good. Wonder what I could have done? Maybe I`ll try soaking it in Dawn or something. I don`t know.

I`m going to take advantage of the free shipping w/ $75 order at Autogeek this weekend. Anybody know a good cheap brush to use to do under the sides of your car? I`ve been buying the red Mothers brushes just because their cheap. But, if necessary, I could spend more.

Current philosophy is getting good chemical, but skimping on the MF`s and brushes. Been getting Vroom MF`s and Mothers brushes.

levander
04-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Anybody know a good cheap brush to use to do under the sides of your car?

Think I`m just going to use this one. It just for the underside of the car (I think they call that the under-carriage?), so don`t need an expensive one:

Laitner Grip-It Fender & Body Brush, Car Wash Brush, Exterior Detail Brush, Shampoo Brush (http://autogeek.net/car-wash-body-brush.html)

Also, tire dressing. I`m using Opti-bond Tire Gel. How far down the edges should you go back? I do the sidewall. Then, I`m doing like 2/3rds of the way back from the sidewalls towards the back of the tire. How far back do most people go?

Accumulator
04-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Think I`m just going to use this one. It just for the underside of the car (I think they call that the under-carriage?)..

You must`ve gotten something goopy on your first brush; one of the downsides of synthetic bristles (as opposed to boar`s hair) is that they can be hard to clean. Try an APC or Simple Green/etc. Maybe try soaking it in a bucket of APC mix.

Nothing wrong with having lots of brushes :D

Current philosophy is getting good chemical, but skimping on the MF`s and brushes. Been getting Vroom MF`s and Mothers brushes.

Noting that I don`t tend to skimp on much of anything :o ...I wouldn`t skimp on materials that actually touch the vehicle (possible exception being the undercarriage brush...Walmart has one like that very cheap). But there`s no point in spending money that doesn`t result in any benefit either.

Also, tire dressing. I`m using Opti-bond Tire Gel. How far down the edges should you go back? I do the sidewall. Then, I`m doing like 2/3rds of the way back from the sidewalls towards the back of the tire. How far back do most people go?

Don`t put it on the tread surface, "where the rubber meets the road". Put it everywhere else that you can see. I`d think of that as being only the sidewall. Wipe off any excess so you don`t get sling everywhere.

levander
04-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Don`t put it on the tread surface, "where the rubber meets the road". Put it everywhere else that you can see. I`d think of that as being only the sidewall. Wipe off any excess so you don`t get sling everywhere.

Well, it`s too late for that. I`ll just be careful driving it till the Tire Gel wears off.