PDA

View Full Version : center console "stain"

ZJCory
02-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Hey all, a while back I went on a road trip with one of my friends and he was wearing some kind of leather jacket (not sure if it was real or fake) and it left a black stain or residue on the lid of my center console where his arm was resting. I`ve tried scrubbing it with everything I had like APC, simple green, etc. and nothing will even touch it. Will I need to buy a new lid or is there anything else I can try?

automedix
02-26-2010, 12:02 PM
I would try a MR. Clean Magic Eraser. If that doesn`t work get a rag and put a light amount of laquer thinner on it. I would try that. If that doesn`t work, you could try getting the console dyed.

Be careful using laquer thinner - it is very harsh chemical do not leave it on there for long periods of time.

Hey all, a while back I went on a road trip with one of my friends and he was wearing some kind of leather jacket (not sure if it was real or fake) and it left a black stain or residue on the lid of my center console where his arm was resting. I`ve tried scrubbing it with everything I had like APC, simple green, etc. and nothing will even touch it. Will I need to buy a new lid or is there anything else I can try?

Quality Leather
02-26-2010, 02:46 PM
If cleaning it with various chemicals hasn`t moved it, then it has probably seeped into the finish. Diluted alcohol might remove a little of the coating and the stain, which should be ok. If that doesn`t work, then a new lid or having it refinished are your only options.

vtec92civic
02-26-2010, 02:56 PM
what kind of vehicle is this and what type of material is the lid? If you can post pictures that would be even better.

Magic Eraser should work. I might be able to suggest a couple of things depending on the type of material.

Concourswanna b
02-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Griot`s garage interior cleaner works ok on this type of stain.

ZJCory
02-26-2010, 08:19 PM
I tried a magic eraser and also some goo gone, it helped but just barely. It`s out of a `98 Jeep Cherokee, so nothing special probably vinyl or plastic I`m guessing? I`ll try to upload a pic, let`s see if this works..

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0dc07b3127ccef920229d853100000030O01AZsXLZi4YsQ e3nwA/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400

automedix
02-26-2010, 08:39 PM
That can be dyed. Call the local dealer and ask the used car manager who he uses for Interiors. They should be able to hook you up. I would redye that console cover for $70.00(retail cost)

judyb
02-27-2010, 02:33 AM
Dye stuff from jeans and clothing will leave a greyish or bluish looking tint on pale leathers. As most dyes are just that and quite aggressive they are slowly absorbed into the finish on the leather. Most dedicated leather cleaners will remove what is on the surface but cannot remove what is in the finish.

There are kits on the market to try to remove this but this will only work if the dye has not travelled too far into the finish. If the dyes are very aggressive or have been sitting on the leather for a long time it may be impossible to remove them and the only way to fully rectify the situation would be to recolour the leather. This can be esaily doen by a trained technician who will colour match the leather and use professional products to rectify the problem.

Hope this helps If you need any further info just contact me and I will be happy to help