PDA

View Full Version : So, I`ll just be quick.

keefer
02-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Hey gents, I was contemplating buying another orbital, seeing now as I have a garage to work in. I finally am going to bite the bullet and buy stuff tonight. I was originally going to buy a PC, but I`m going to give the Meguiars G110V2 a go.

I`ve ready briefly through a bunch of threads here, and I was looking for a somewhat simple process. It looked as if many people were utilizing a M105/205 process, or a process which included PO 203.

To give you some background, I have a 2007 Honda Civic Si sedan that I care deeply about. (I know it`s a Honda - big whoop.)

http://kecochran.us/journey/journey00.jpg

Another one of my car.

http://kecochran.us/journey/journey07.jpg

And the prize inside. :o

I originally was just going to go with a single step utilizing PO 203, starting with an orange pad, then finishing with a white pad. Then a blue pad w/ some Collonite 845.

I decided against that, and selected the M105/orange, M205/white process, followed up by Collonite 845 on a blue pad. From my view point, it would seem like it would give me a bit more flexibility as far as abrasiveness goes.

So I have my shopping cart full, and will soon be placing the order, but I wanted to get some feedback real quick.

My shopping is as follows:

Meguiars G110V2 DA

6 LC CCS 5.5" pads. 2 White, 2 Orange, 2 Blue

Meguiars W64DA 5" backing plate.

Meguiar`s 105

Meguiar`s 205

XMT Pad Cleaner

Collonite 845 (Buy one get one free.)

6 Pack Microfiber bonnets

So let me hear it! I was trying to keep it simple. My car has moderate swirls, with random light scratches here and there. It need`s some attention after this harsh winter however.

Oh and just so you guys know, I have some stuff down stairs..

1 Gal of Chemical Guys CGC1

1 Gal of CG M-Seal

CG Swirl Remover..

Collonite 915

(Other basics, APC, ONR, 200G clay bars, etc. etc.)

Let me know, ASAP - I`m itching to press submit! Lol

subygirl
02-21-2010, 08:11 PM
What do you plan to use the microfiber bonnets for? If it is for removing product after polishing - I would just invest in some nice regular microfibers instead. Otherwise, looks great! (The pad cleaner is awesome btw!)

Just curious - what is your reasoning for picking the Meguiar`s DA over the PC?

keefer
02-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Bonnets are just for removing excess wax and other liquids as you stated.. I actually have some very nice MF`s down stairs that I just picked up last week. Cobra`s I think.. (And a slew of other MF products downstairs. - I used to have a Flex that I seldom used because lack of a garage - which I ended up selling.)

So this time I`m giving it another go with a garage..

And honestly, I`ve got a feeling it may not be as loud, which sound is a concern w/ where I am working. And honestly, just to be different. :o

On second thought, I`ll remove the bonnets. They`re like 40 bucks anyhow!

bogi094
02-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Dont get M105 as Honda paint is really soft and for swirls and light scratches M205 on a white pas is sufficient. Other than that, get some MF towels rather than bonnets. Towels are more useful. And remember if you are going to correct the finish you need to maintain it, so get 2 buckets and gritguards, a quality wash mitt, and some waffle weave drying towels. (just assuming you dont have these things)

PS: are you on 8thCivic?

keefer
02-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Dont get M105 as Honda paint is really soft and for swirls and light scratches M205 on a white pas is sufficient. Other than that, get some MF towels rather than bonnets. Towels are more useful. And remember if you are going to correct the finish you need to maintain it, so get 2 buckets and gritguards, a quality wash mitt, and some waffle weave drying towels. (just assuming you dont have these things)

PS: are you on 8thCivic?

Lol, I do indeed have all of that stuff. Probably much than I should have. I have an entire storage bin full of quality MF cloths. All separated by what they are used for.. Lol. Yes, I`m on 8th as well.

I don`t use mitts anymore. I use grout sponges and ONR. I actually have an entire box of grout sponges in the garage.. The appropriate WW`s, etc. etc.

I`m a bit of an OCD freak so bear with me. People think I`m odd because I put my car on jack stands and clean the underside at least once a month..

I thought the 105 may be too abrasive due to the soft paint, but was going to get it just in case. I`m just wonder if I should switch to the Menzerna 203 now..

bogi094
02-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Lol, I do indeed have all of that stuff. Probably much than I should have. I have an entire storage bin full of quality MF cloths. All separated by what they are used for.. Lol. Yes, I`m on 8th as well.

I thought the 105 may be too abrasive due to the soft paint, but was going to get it just in case. I`m just wonder if I should switch to the Menzerna 203 now..

:P You read my mind! When I was writing that message I was like hmm "maybe po203 will be perfect?" Anyways I think that would be perfect. More cut than M205 and finishes just as well! I also think you should get some PO85RD its $30 but IMO one of the best finishing polishes on the market. Those two together are the BOMB!

keefer
02-21-2010, 09:59 PM
:P You read my mind! When I was writing that message I was like hmm "maybe po203 will be perfect?" Anyways I think that would be perfect. More cut than M205 and finishes just as well! I also think you should get some PO85RD its $30 but IMO one of the best finishing polishes on the market. Those two together are the BOMB!

So 203 w/ white pad and what color w/ the 85RD? White as well? Or downgrade the pad a bit?

Or 203 w/ orange and the 85RD w/ white?

keefer
02-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Welp it`s getting late. I`m just going to get the 203 and 85RD. I guess i`ll have to test the pad and polish combos when I get it and see what works for me. I don;t think I need much correction, my swirls are slight to medium.. We`ll see. Thanks for all the help. I just hope this Megs DA works well and isn`t too loud...

My neighbors are already thrilled with decibel level of my car as it is..