PDA

View Full Version : Brush for convertible top

ChiefRes
02-18-2010, 06:45 PM
I`m picking up a 911 convertible on Saturday, and I`m trying to get my ducks in a row as far as detailing goes. I`ve never had a convertible, so I`d like to get some recommendations on the type/brand of brush you guys use to clean fabric convertible tops.

I`ve read NOT to use synthetic brushes, but I`ve seen others say that is OK as long as they`re not super-stiff. I`d love to hear some product ideas. Thanks!

Zoraduntov
02-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Swissvax has a leather brush you might be Able to use for your top........

solekeeper
02-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Funny, I`am in need of this too as I just bought a vert m3 blacktop..

Bump for OP!

imported_DJBAILEY
02-19-2010, 05:26 AM
I use a tampico bristle brush.

Lonnie
02-19-2010, 06:24 AM
ChiefRes:

Along with a good boar`s hair brush (BHB), you may want to consider getting some decent cleaners/protectors designed for fabric convertible tops, like Ragg-Topp or 303 Fabric Protector. Another good cleaner is Optimum`s Power Clean (OPC) that, properly diluted, you can use on other areas of your Porsche 911 that need degreasing or thorough cleaning as they present themselves. Fabric tops are are one on the most over-looked areas in car care and most owners are unaware of the damage a dirty top can play in the life of a fabric top. The directions on the Ragg-Topp box says to thoroughly vacuum the top BEFORE cleaning to remove any large pieces of dirt and debris that inevitably get "attached" to the fabric fibers so these don`t get rubbed into the fabric. You might consider a good shop-vacuum as part of your car-care arsenal of equipment in maintaining your convertible top as well.

By the way, congratulations on your ride! You own and drive what most would consider the epitomy of sports cars, the 911 convertible.

Autogeek
02-19-2010, 08:28 AM
If your top needs a stiffer, yet gentle brush, I recommend a Tampico upholstery brush.

Otherwise, for a top that`s not soiled but just needs regular cleaning, I prefer a softer brush (natural horse hair).

ChiefRes
02-19-2010, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the responses. Seems like most favor boar hair or horse hair. I`ve already purchased the 303 fabric top cleaner and protectant. I read some conflicting reviews on Raggtop.

I`m sure I`ll have more questions once I get her home. Thanks again.

Autogeek
02-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Can`t really go wrong with either 303 or Raggtopp IMO. I personally use 303, but a lot of guys here at work love Raggtopp.

Street5927
02-19-2010, 10:18 AM
I simply use a boars hair brush when cleaning mine. I never allow it to get soiled, plus it is black. The Boars Hair Brush seems to remove all the "lint" and such that accumulates from time to time. I only clean it with the Ragg Topp Cleaner each time I wash the car; and protect it with the Ragg Top Protectant (2x a year). Once in the spring and once in the fall before it goes away for the winter.

Also, as a side note, IMO I wouldn`t recommend using a pressure washer if you use one. I always just use a regular nozzle on the garden hose when detailing convertibles. There is just something about shooting pressurized water at a ragg top that doesn`t sit well with me.