PDA

View Full Version : Applying wax via Flex 3401...

Pages : [1] 2

mystickid
02-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Alot of detailers often go to the PC to apply a wax by machine even though they may use a Rotary for polishing.

Considering the excessive power on a Flex 3401 (in comparison to a PC), is it all just the same to apply wax via a Flex or is it not suitable for that sort of thing.

Autogeek
02-17-2010, 03:13 PM
I usually set mine on speed 3 for applying wax/sealant. In comparison. I use speed 4 on the PC.

imported_paintxpert
02-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Usually waxing marres the surfaces by hand. I finish with the power polisher and a BLACK finish pad.

Thomas Dekany
02-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Paste waxes like FK1 #1000 or Magic Wax I apply on speed 6. You want to get that stuff in there. HD UNO (like Matt) I do on speed 3.

filthymcnasty
02-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Anyone know how to get wax and sealant out of pads? Polish is easy with a little pad rejuvinator, but virtually impossible with sealant and wax. Any ideas?

alloutdetailing
02-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Anyone know how to get wax and sealant out of pads? Polish is easy with a little pad rejuvinator, but virtually impossible with sealant and wax. Any ideas?

I use dish washing soap. Then from a far I pressure wash the pad in my hand. Cleans it out all the time.

BigAl3
02-17-2010, 08:05 PM
i use the PC on settings 3-4...

Mr. Vapor
02-17-2010, 08:21 PM
what about the DODO juice products (purple haze specifically) that states applying by bare hand is recommended?

i have a PC and it sure would speed up the job.

Legacy
02-17-2010, 09:03 PM

Dawn Power Disslover does a great job on cleaning your pads and applicators. I like applying and removing waxes by hand.

AntonV
02-18-2010, 11:53 AM
I always wax by hand. How do you apply wax to a machine pad? Obviously, I`m not talking about liquid wax

StadiumDetail
02-18-2010, 12:08 PM
there really isn`t any easy way, but a common one is to use a plastic knife and smear a little evenly on the pad. I apply all my LSPs (sealants) by machine, which is probably one reason I`ve never cared for the tin beauty wazes, too much of a pain to get it on there.

DM101
02-18-2010, 01:07 PM

Dawn Original dish washing soap and Dawn power dissolver in the sink will remove waxes, polishes and sealants.

Accumulator
02-18-2010, 02:00 PM
I always wax by hand. How do you apply wax to a machine pad? Obviously, I`m not talking about liquid wax

I usually just scrunch the pad up so it fits in the can and then scrape off excess wax with a plastic razor blade, that primes the pad and gives me enough LSP to do a pretty large area. Then I`ll reload it as needed by transferring/wiping on small additional amounts with the same razor blade.

Much as I do like applying #16 and 845 by machine, these days I usually just do LSPs by hand. Heh heh, you can do a lot of waxing in the time it takes to get out/put away a polisher.

Usually waxing marres the surfaces by hand....

How do you figure? Sure never does it for me.

Normally I wouldn`t even bother asking, but I don`t want some newbie to read that and think they need to go buy a polisher to wax their car. If you`re using the right application medium, it shouldn`t matter whether said medium is being moved by your hand or a machine. Most waxes are functionally nonabrasive anyhow.

tssdetailing
02-18-2010, 02:50 PM
I use speed 2/3 with a gray Lake Country pad to apply. Typically I`ll put like 7-10 dots on the pad, then blot the surface in 1 foot intervals so its constantly spreading and picking up at the same time once I get moving. Do small areas in the begining and as you build up more wax in the pad you can do larger areas. Keep some quick detailer handy too-that was very helpful on a dry pad through initial passes. Remember, you`re not polishing with wax so one pass is enough.

I like applying with a machine-it does a smoother job and puts a thinner coat on by hand (not trying to save product, but thick, dry wax is a bear to remove).

Finally I use the same pad and some microfiber bonnets to remove the wax. It glows so nicely when finished!!!

I do agree though-not so much a time saver when applying; but for removal i wouldn`t do it anyother way!

tabootim
02-18-2010, 04:16 PM
if i cant do it with my pc, its not the product for me!!! i use blue ccs 6.5 pads and go to town usually speed 5 with paste wax and speed 3.5-4 on liquids im just lazy i guess but i truly think you get more even coverage with a machine and it makes taking it off way easier