PDA

View Full Version : Confused on ozone results

ThomasC
02-15-2010, 05:31 AM
I have searched and read all the posts I could find on using ozone generators to eliminate interior odors, with the consensus being that these devices, ones with enough output, did in fact completely get rid of interior odors and mold.

Saturday I sent an email to one of the sources for ozone generators that was in a post and asked if a generator would take care of my problem-overwhelming cherry odor caused by a detailer-and the answer was that they were `not sure` and went on to suggest that something called `auto vaccine` would eliminate the odor and the source of the odor.

If anyone can offer thoughts it would be greatly appreciated.

automedix
02-15-2010, 06:23 AM
First of all - find the source of the smell(Is it an air freshner of some sort? if not then you are safe to treat.

If your sure that there is nothing in the car causing the smell, then go to the website that I will PM you.

This should eliminate your odor.

-Jim

salty
02-15-2010, 12:32 PM
As said, try and find the source. Most spray fragrances don`t last that long, so it might go away in a short time.

Check under the seats for an air freshener.

JohnKleven
02-15-2010, 12:48 PM
I don`t think an Ozone machine will get rid of this kind of odor. I would recommend get some air movers on the interior, just push as much air as possible over the carpeting, or take it to a professional detailer.

John

StadiumDetail
02-16-2010, 07:42 AM
My distributor dropped by last month and told me about a new odor eliminator he wanted to give me a sample of. I put a powder in a bowl, pour some water in it and close up the car with recirculate on. It is supposed to release some sort of chlorine gas, he told me specifics but I forgot, that attack odors just like an ozone machine does. Maybe this is what the dealer`s "auto vaccine" is?

I didn`t catch him last friday since I was having a baby girl :) but if you are interested in knowing more I can drop you a pm once I get my samples next time he is around. Seems like it works as well as ozone, but 1 treatments costs me $15 in product vs a $400 ozone machine so to me the benefit of this new process is huge.

mirrormirror
02-16-2010, 10:26 AM
My distributor dropped by last month and told me about a new odor eliminator he wanted to give me a sample of. I put a powder in a bowl, pour some water in it and close up the car with recirculate on. It is supposed to release some sort of chlorine gas, he told me specifics but I forgot, that attack odors just like an ozone machine does. Maybe this is what the dealer`s "auto vaccine" is?

I didn`t catch him last friday since I was having a baby girl :) but if you are interested in knowing more I can drop you a pm once I get my samples next time he is around. Seems like it works as well as ozone, but 1 treatments costs me $15 in product vs a $400 ozone machine so to me the benefit of this new process is huge.

Hmmm.....I believe that is Chlorine DiOxide, which is also used to neutralize Anthrax spores, and to fumigate mold contaminated buildings. I`m curious about this product and its safety, as ClO2 can be very explosive in its gaseous state at high enough concentrations, and can flash from sunlight alone (again, at high concentrations). I`m wondering how the manufacturer of this product guarantees safety when the product is used in a variety of vehicles. Concentrations would certainly be different in a Smart Car versus that of a Ford Excursion. Does the label have any indication of the ppm levels that the gas is supposed to achieve, or any specific safety recommendations? It is an extremely effective gas for attacking the source of certain types of odors (and for purifying water as well!).

mirrormirror
02-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Just a quick follow up.....ClO2 and Ozone work in very similar ways in that they kill bacteria by oxidizing it. So if the ClO2 product is proven safe for this application, then it could be a very cost effective solution. That said, I`m not sure how effective it might be for an odor with a perfume source.

StadiumDetail
02-16-2010, 11:13 AM
You guys gave me some great questions to ask and it seems there is quite a bit of interest so I`ll keep everyone updated once I talk to my supplier. I have to believe it is used in a safe quantity since I was told it is also now used in hotels (in larger batches) to remove the smoker smell from rooms that were non-smoking but the customer to do their own thing. I also have to believe it requres some common sense with the smart v excursion argument and is why it isn`t sold over the counter.