PDA

View Full Version : Should you say "hello" to other detailers?

Pages : [1] 2

civcklr
12-23-2005, 12:05 AM
I thought so, But I was getting lunch today and saw another moble detailer in the parking lot doing a car (just detailing it, not doing it) so I pulled up in my van to give a polite hello, and ask how bussines is going. The guy was very short with me, and basicly seemed like he was trying to ignore me. :ermm:
Maybe with the half million cars here there is only enough room for one moble detaler....?..... :surrender

GregCavi
12-23-2005, 12:15 AM
I personally probably wouldnt stroll up to someone but i wouldnt find it at all impolite if one approached me or If i were to do it. Im guessing that detailer might have felt intemidated or he just wanted to work, maybe he just was anti social haha.

Greg

Big Leegr
12-23-2005, 03:17 AM
It`s possible he felt you were critiquing his technique, or maybe trying to find some "ammo" to use against him if a potential customer were to ask you "Why should I choose you over him?". Or maybe he was using a "special" brand of stuff! :w00t:
If you have never had contact with him before, I don`t think it`s too unexpected that he be apprehensive at first. Maybe still give a smile and nod if you see him on the street or something, but don`t let one instance be the definitive impression that you carry forward with you forever.

maximv1
12-23-2005, 06:28 AM
in my experiences, alot of operations are like that. pdr guys are known for not wanting other pdr guys near them when working. i think Big Leegr is right, some may feel you are looking for anything to damage their reputation. i would stop what i was doing and chit chat back. you never know when you might need each other.

Brenton
12-23-2005, 06:39 AM
I`ve been wondering about this.
There are only a couple of mobile guys here, mostly doing commercial and farm work. There are 3.5 other shops in my town (the .5 is a not-quite-there guy that does stuff out of his father`s taxi stand bay when cars aren`t being fixed). I didn`t introduce myself, but the biggest guys--been here 10+years--are occassionally sending me things they can`t be bothered to do or can`t figure out.
Should I say hello to them?

Big Leegr
12-23-2005, 07:58 AM
I didn`t introduce myself, but the biggest guys--been here 10+years--are occassionally sending me things they can`t be bothered to do or can`t figure out.
Should I say hello to them?
I would at least acknowledge the business they`re sending your way. Even a little Thank You card. (Right about now you could even include it as a Christmas card if you don`t want to go right out and say thanks for the business. Sort of a friendly "Seasons greetings. Feel free to stop by for a coffee some time." - Assuming you have/drink coffee. :whistling ) :beer_smil

jason(england)
12-23-2005, 08:33 AM
Yeah why not I allways say Hello how you doing I have never found one that wasnt freindly.
Its also a good time to find out where they work what they charge and let them know I dont pinch customers And wouldnt expect them to do so either.
Never had a problem yet.
Jay :santa

Luster
12-23-2005, 09:44 AM
The guy was very short with me, and basicly seemed like he was trying to ignore me. :ermm:
Maybe with the half million cars here there is only enough room for one moble detaler....?..... :surrender

Sounds like a jerk. Some guys can`t work and talk at the same time.

Do I like to be interrupted when I`m working? I don`t mind a bit. It`s part of life.

cwcad
12-23-2005, 10:04 AM

Do I like to be interrupted when I`m working. I don`t mind a bit. It`s part of life.

Amen, Bill. I am in total accord with that statement!!

Bob
12-23-2005, 10:08 AM
The guy could of just been having a bad day too though. I mean, it is the holidays and everyone seems stressed out lately.

Beemerboy
12-23-2005, 10:11 AM
I`ve been to all the local shops in my area to introduce myself and tell them what I do....part time detailer in the summer mostly...When I have had jobs that I could not do I wanted them to know who was sending them the biz...I didn`t want to refer someone to a shop that I didn`t think would deliver a good job...Not one of them was short with me...inpart this was how I approached them, on a professional level....There is enough biz for us all here.

bermi23
12-23-2005, 10:41 AM
I have met other mobile detailers at my local supplier. I had good experience. We share tips and talk about fix locations prices and each other business.

civcklr
12-23-2005, 12:08 PM
Yea, He may have just ben trying to get done doing his thang, or in a hurry but he was rude none the less. On the other end of the spectrum, Andrew (aka AZferrari man here on DC) contacted me through the forums and we got together and talked some detial jive. :dcrules

Miami_Sunset
12-23-2005, 12:17 PM
i realized that when people are in a hurry threy just don`t want to talk unless you u look like this
http://scan.tucoo.com/Hanbunjula%20SNF_72/photo/HBJL_SnF_062%40Carmen_Electra_PEFM.jpg

Also it depends where you live.

Brenton
12-23-2005, 05:45 PM

Do I like to be interrupted when I`m working? I don`t mind a bit. It`s part of life.

In my area, old guys come to my shop to chat--some times without even a car to wash!