PDA

View Full Version : D151 Questions

cjbigcog
02-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Will D151 finish down ok with an orange pad or should I use a white one? And....Can I top it with BFWD right away, or does it need some time to cure?

vtec92civic
02-11-2010, 05:42 PM
from what i understand . . . . . it should finish down pretty good with a orange pad. Worst case scenario i would use a green pad.

It also does not require time to cure

D Tailor
02-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Depending on what color you are using it on. On lighter colors it does (silver, white, champagne, etc). With darker colors I use the green or white pad. If using on black, a green pad will not yield the best clarity...the orange one even less.

Barry Theal
02-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Meg D151 Paint Reconditioning cream is a great product if your doing volume work. It purpose of design was for higher volume shops who need one step products to cut,polish,and wax in one. Its an AIO product so there should be no need to wax over it. If your truly looking to correct a paints finish I would not use this product. I would go to at least M205 or M105 then your blackfire. D151 has fillers. I personally feel anyone using this product on a paying customers car is ripping them off if the customer is paying for a true correction. If the customer is only paying for a quickie this is a great product. Although it will never be in my arsenal of products. I would rather polish a customers car with 205 then apply an LSP. If your looking to mask defects and not correct them this is a good one for ya. If you do you this product do us a favor and post some before shots and after shots and let us know your process and about a month from now update thread. I`d be curios to see what it looks like when the oils disapear. hopefully this helps!

mini1
02-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Orange pad works fine on lighter colored cars with medium to hard clear coats. Black cars with soft clears, need either a white or black pad. The orange pad will leaves holograms all over black/midnight blue soft clear cars, so don`t use it if you are using D151 as a one-step.

D Tailor
02-11-2010, 08:38 PM
If your truly looking to correct a paints finish I would not use this product.

I agree with this Barry. This is not a true correction product as much as it is a one-stepper. With the correct pad selection, it does a nice job removing an aging layer of paint, removing some defects, filling the rest, and providing a nice finish. An especially nice finish if topped with another LSP like OCW.

I personally feel anyone using this product on a paying customers car is ripping them off if the customer is paying for a true correction. If the customer is only paying for a quickie this is a great product. Although it will never be in my arsenal of products. I would rather polish a customers car with 205 then apply an LSP. If your looking to mask defects and not correct them this is a good one for ya.

I partially agree with these statements. Anyone selling true correction (meaning complete) and servicing with a one-stepper is a fraud.However, cut-wise (and with the correct pad choice), D151 and 205 aren`t all that different. Now some chemical maven like KB might disprove my findings but I put 151 a few clicks shy of 205. And with more than one pass, you achieve the same as you would with your 205 +LSP. So the question is then, why not have it in your aresenal? It`s cheaper and provides the same look. I also disagree with your last sentence. The pictures below show how some 151 and an orange pad can brighten up silver and remove some hankerin` sores on the paint. I also have some shots of an 09 A4 (Black) that show some great correction after 3 IPA wipes- these photos won`t be available until April when the vehicle comes back in to finish the job.

Before:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h71/djbibiloni/00%20Honda%20Accord%20Coupe/P1010499.jpg

After:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h71/djbibiloni/00%20Honda%20Accord%20Coupe/P1010502.jpg

If you do you this product do us a favor and post some before shots and after shots and let us know your process and about a month from now update thread. I`d be curios to see what it looks like when the oils disapear.

I think IPA wipe downs (3) would be better than a month. Too many factors in play after a months time.

cjbigcog
02-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Thanks everyone for your help.

Barry....I have been thinking of using D151 for customers who don`t want to spend the $$$`s for a full correction. Basically people who just want a nice shiny car. Perhaps 205/lsp is the way to go. Like I need to buy another product. :chuckle:

Barry Theal
02-12-2010, 06:28 AM
David if you use that product for your customers cars, thats fine with me. I personlly choose to try not to use and products that fills. There is nothing wrong with using fillers they serve there purpose. I have a customer who comes once a month to have is car polished and this d151 would be great for that. As regards to them pictures I didn`t see much of a difference between the two. I think a proper solvent would have cleaned them scuffs better prior to using D151 or any other product for the matter. I`m not the best at wording things. But If I were to just polish a car the wax it. I personally think it is better to use m205 or m105. I have huge success lately using m105 and m205 with a D/A type machine. Per say When I do the wifes vehicle now adays. I just polish it with m205 and wax it with 845 insulator wax. The polishing of m205 allows me to polish the paint and remove minor defects. On a daily driver I`m not wasting my time cutting deeper rids I`m just gonna remove any marring present. If you choose to use D151 Hey its your business deceision not mine. We all run our business`s different. I seen the affects of d151 personally 2 weeks to a month later. I have done several cars that MAnheim Auto Autcion has done. They were purchased looking great and two weeks after when it was my turn. They looked like no one touched them. For what its worth Manheims Recon uses D151 exclusively.. Now keep in mind this is all from my personal experiance. You may know how to use this product better then me. I`m just saying This is what I have experianced!:xyxthumbs

D Tailor
02-12-2010, 07:00 AM
My thoughts are along the same line as you Barry.I use it as a one step when that is what`s ordered...period. I only use it on very light colored cars too. WHat I was trying to show in the two pictures it D151`s paint polishing ability...not necessarily it`s cut. There`s a difference in paint color and I tried to capture that on camera (although body solvent did not remove the marks originally). For a 10 year old car that had been neglected and never been polished, I chose that. I have 205, FPII, OP2, and a slew of other polishes I could have used, but cost wise, for this project it was 151 that won. Not only that, but it brought back the silver color in the car, which had a crusty look to it before. I do think that, and I run my business on the premise that, each car has unique requirements to bring out what the owner envisions....for me that sometimes means d151, other times it means wetsanding. As for the auction, I don`t think that is a comparable test. They also use "black wax" and anything else to hide defects. I would also bet they don`t work the 151 in with the KBM and break it down, as much as they buzz it through at some serious RPMS. But I don`t know, I`ve never worked there, but I have seen them recon guys at work. Let me tell you, they and i have nothing in common.

I guess for me it sometimes boils down to what Mike Phillips says, "(Originally Posted by Mike Phillips *New* Meguiar`s D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream Review!!! - Car Care Forums: Meguiar`s Online (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23614))

...Too many people don`t understand that the average person just wants a shiny car, not a show car, at least they don`t want to pay for show car results and they`re not going to do the work it takes to maintain a show car finish.

Evaluate the customer first, then the paint. Don`t sell show car detailing work to a person using their car as a daily driver. Understanding this is key to making your customer happy as well as you, not too mention it will keep you from burning out."

You might want to read the thread...it`s 28 pages. It brings up some of the same points you have, but results are results when used properly. Just my thoughts bro...:xyxthumbs

D Tailor
02-12-2010, 07:11 AM
Here`s another quote from that discussion from Tim Lingor that may help the OP, "The new D151 uses the new Super-Micro Abrasive technology which means it cuts very well but finished out beautifully! The D151 is more aggressive than M66, as it is between M83 and M86 (Solo). " It depends on how the paint reacts to it honestly. But no curing time. It is a polish down and wipe off product. With the right pad choice, it won`t need follow up either.

9935annivgt
02-12-2010, 07:17 AM
I personally like to use D-151 on my daily drivers. My show car does get a different combo, but when doing families` cars I agree that most people just want a shiny car, when I ask to what degree they want to take it it is usually 151 that wins out. A great product for the average detail who just wants it to look much better not perfect.

MarcHarris
02-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Very good points made in this thread. I agree with both Barry and David "the Tailor" :P

I recently used it on a car with great success. I`ll post pics of it soon. Basically, this was the 3rd time we`ve used this product. We find it to sit and sit until there`s a perfect use for it and it`s come through wonderfully for us.

I think filling is a worry when using any product - D151 or others. I can tell you we didn`t just quickly spread 151 though: we really worked it and worked it like a polish, then did 3 hard core alcohol wipe-downs (spray an area, let it soak, wipe off, repeat) and we didn`t see evidence of problems (I`m guessing the guys at the auction didn`t do this, or did they Barry?).

Even still, you should take into account (just as we did) that there are silicone-based fillers in some products on the market that promote beading / gloss. I don`t think something silicone-based is going to easily come off (which is why we did so many wipe-downs) and will likely only truly break down from something much stronger, like UV rays over time or lacquer thinner.

I would highly recommend this product if they`re going to use it the right way. As with any product, it is important to understand it`s pro`s and con`s and how it might come in handy.